Options

My dad is dying - so lost

kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

3 weeks ago my dad was rushed into intensive care with kidney failure, the was on 100% oxygen and they didn’t think he was going to survive. He pulled through it after 3 rounds of dialysis.

Now they are saying he will need dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of his life, he would also need an operation but they don’t think his heart is strong enough to survive it (he has angina).

He is refusing the dialysis and any further treatment, he just wants to go home.. They can’t give us a time frame, it could be weeks it could be months. The dr said she’s not sure how he is still functioning as he has really high levels of toxins in his blood, it’s the highest she has ever seen in someone so “well”.

I'm so lost, he is 200 miles away and I work full time so won't be able to see him till Saturday, I have tried to speak to him on the phone but he does not want to speak to anyone. The nurses say he won't even get out of bed and is refusing medication.

I don't know what I want anyone to say, has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I lost contact with my dad when I was 16 (he left my mum and vanished), I managed to track him down a few years ago, I lost my mum in 2009 as well, I just feel so down, and angry and upset

Comments

• Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. All you can do is remind him how special he is to you so maybe he sees the treatment is worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your situation but I don't think there is a lot you can do.

Your dad has obviously made his mind up. All you can do is be there for him.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get some time off work if you explain its a family emergency? the best thing you can do is probably try and be there, if he won't take a phone call.
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Can you get some time off work if you explain its a family emergency? the best thing you can do is probably try and be there, if he won't take a phone call.

They are looking into special leave for me so I can do just that
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you get it *hugs*
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    If you can not get there at least write to him and let him know you love and care about him, I wish you all the best as this must be heartbreaking cyber ((((((((hugs)))))))))))
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats good. I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. Try not to be angry, although completely understandable. I hope you manage to get your leave and are able to spend some quality time with him. You often find that things move on quite speedily once someone has accepted their own demise. Be there for each other and make every minute count. You will come to appreciate those times in the coming weeks and month. Thoughts are with you xx
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this.
    I lost my Dad nearly two years ago. We were estranged for a long time but got back in touch a couple of years before he died and I treasure that time we had together and the better relationship we had forged.

Hope you get the time off to go and spend some time with your Dad.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Never mind thinking about special leave, your company should be giving you compassionate leave without a second thought.

I'd go spend some time with your Dad and prepare yourself to say goodbye. I wish I could say something to make it easier but in truth losing a parent is one of the hardest things you can go through, and nothing anyone can say or do will make it any easier.

Please take care
    Alan.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    make sure the hospital managers know about the situation. as well as actual nurses doctors etc. they might suggest something or be able to pull a few strings (eg phone your employer). worth trying. at least you have nothing to lose.

there are also the hospital chaplin. and volunteer visitors etc. possibly worth seeking out as they will have local knowledge that might help.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enjoy the time with your dad,make mos tof every minute.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Has his ill health been sudden or has he been ill prior to this? He could've just had enough and want to withdraw, or he could be in shock and upset and not want to face up to it.

I also think your employer needs to let you go and see yr dad asap. I also think the nurses/doctors can talk to you about your dad's state of mind. Would a hospice be a better environment for him (some people hate the thought of it but they can be wonderful at looking after people with a terminal illness)? You could try contacting some Renal Failure support groups; your dad might not want to, but they may help you understand and support you through this.

http://www.kidney.org.uk
    http://www.britishkidney-pa.co.uk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm really sorry to hear that :( Hope you can get the time off work, they should let you go, it's a family emergency and there is usually compassionate level for people when a relative is ill. I wish there was something they could do for you. Take care and I'm thinking of you.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your dad.
    From what you have said it sounds very much that he is both angry and frightened. It is a natural reaction try and go ' into a shell' and not want to listen to what is seemingly bad news. He seems to need a medical professional to sit down quietly with him and go through all the options available, and to talk about his fears.
    As for you........pack your bag and get down there. You shouldn't have to ask for leave in this situation, it should be automatic. You will not regret the time you spend with him now, however difficult it might be.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry for you and the awful situation in which you find yourself. Move heaven and earth to be with him as soon an you can and let him know what he means to you.
    Best wishes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    enjoy the time with your dad,make mos tof every minute.

Try and do something really special - it doesn't have to be going on some holiday abroad or anything, just something that's special to him.

My nan's 81, she used to love Blackpool Tower ballroom when she was little, so I want to take her in the next month or so, trouble is she's always so tired and can't really go out in the cold weather as she picks up chills so easily these days. But I need to do it, so think of something on a similar scale, that won't tire him out too much, and do it, you'll remember it for the rest of your life and will give him such a happy memory. :)
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it will help but my dad has heart failure and renal failure and we though we were going to lose him last year. Obviously he is not fighting fit but with the right treatment he has a fairly normal life in the house and can get out on his good days. I'm sorry if your dad has decided not to take further treatment but I just wanted you to know that the quality of life it can afford can be better than expected. He does have his bad days but we have had time together that we didn't think we were going to get and hopefully more to come. Your dad is depressed, he needs help, would your work not understand?
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, I think you should get time off work and go and be with him.

Sending virtual hugs too xx
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be waiting for my work's permission, I'd already be in my car or on a train.
  • Options
    llama1llama1 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be waiting for my work's permission, I'd already be in my car or on a train.

^ this
    I lost my dad suddenly nearly 12 years ago
    Had I known it was our last days together I would have made the most of it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just go tell work you have to go now, tell them to take it as holidays or special leave and dont wait for them to say no. Time with your dad is the most important thing at this time and if work cant understand that then tough on them.

As for when your with your Dad just make everyday special go out and do things he loves, go to place you know he likes, and just tell him you love him as that would be the most important words anyone would love to hear.

I know this is a hard time but try to be strong and put the anger to one side and make this time count.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a terrible situation.

I agree with the suggestions that you should be given immediate compassionate leave. My friend is in a similar position, her mum has respiratory failure and is refusing treatment but she is mentally ill which is the drive behind her decision - my friend lied to get her back into hospital (she waited until she took her drowsy bipolar medication and called an ambulance saying she'd fallen unconscious) - however your dad has the right to his own say in his treatment. That said, I think your presence with him is essential. Feeling angry is absolutely normal and natural, and I would encourage you to be as honest with your dad as possible on all your feelings - how you feel right now and what he means to you, so he has all the information on what this means for his family and those around him - depending on his reasons for his decisions that might help clarify what he wants. He still has the right to feel the way he does, and if your presence doesn't change that, its the right decision for him and even for you unfortunately. I dont know what is available to you under these circumstances, for eg hospices have amazing support staff, i would ask about what support your family can get through this with the links that have been posted and through the drs who are treating him.

Im really sorry youre going through this. This will bring up stuff about losing your mum too, so you are probably dealing with not just your dad's illness, but grief from that too. Its a lot to cope with.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect his initial reaction is that life isn't worth living. Maybe it's a common sort of reaction.

Try and convince him it is. does he have family where he is. If not, maybe he could stay with you temporarily, if you can get treatment arranged locally.

Or get a week off work to go and stay with him through this early period.

good luck

one point - given that you lost contact, he may already have passed before you found him. At least he didn't and you now have the opportunity to change things.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You and your Dad are realy in a bad place , go and see him , sod the job , try not to put preasure on him if he has made up his mind , seeing you may just give him the will to go on , it is sad but try and support him in his wishes , (((hugs)))