Jumped ship.

bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having owned the great Humax freetime box since launch day,I have now moved over to YouView. Reason being the continual delay of the two missing on demand players,plus the lack of a remote record app. I'll miss the YouTube function,but I'm finding the features on YouView outweigh this loss. As mentioned the remote record app is pretty basic,but it does the job.Also the ability to start viewing a recording at a point I wish to is a great advantage.The four extra players also made my move easier. I do wish freetime the best of luck,but at the moment I think YouView has the edge.

Comments

• Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4od joins freetime in June, so that'll be three out of four.

All the awful low res, low bitrate freeview channels are enough to keep me away from Youview though.

Satellite picture quality is superior in the main and that's more important to me. I tend to record stuff far more than rely on any catchup services.
  • bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    4od joins freetime in June, so that'll be three out of four.

All the awful low res, low bitrate freeview channels are enough to keep me away from Youview though.

Satellite picture quality is superior in the main and that's more important to me. I tend to record stuff far more than rely on any catchup services.

4OD has yet to be confirmed for June. I agree with you regarding low bitrate on YouView,but as nearly all my viewing is in HD,I cannot see any difference between the two platforms.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, well I watch a lot of SD stuff too so really prefer the better picture quality and can really tell the difference between the two platforms.

Bottom line here though, is you're trying to justify why you switched and I'm justifying why I wont, which just shows that at the end of the day it all comes down to each users own particular needs and preferences. :)

I'm not really sure what this thread hoped to achieve tbh. :confused:
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit of a drastic move just to get 2 on demand players (that are confirmed to be available anytime between now and the end of summer) and a remote record app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I guess if you get the full Freeview package then it could be argued both ways. However, I get Freeview Lite (10 TV channels), as do many regions, and the case for Freesat is made.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    bampsam wrote: »
    4OD has yet to be confirmed for June. I agree with you regarding low bitrate on YouView,but as nearly all my viewing is in HD,I cannot see any difference between the two platforms.

There are so many other options for getting the On Demand services onto your TV I cannot understand why you would jump ship for something as simple as this? Example, Apple TV which I use all the time does a great job. I can also jump to a point in the recording on the 1000s - simple.

Mind you they do say there's nowt as queer as folks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Having owned the great Humax freetime box since launch day,I have now moved over to YouView. Reason being the continual delay of the two missing on demand players,plus the lack of a remote record app. [...] I do wish freetime the best of luck,but at the moment I think YouView has the edge.

Am I to take it you've sold your <freetime> box then?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    I guess if you get the full Freeview package then it could be argued both ways. However, I get Freeview Lite (10 TV channels), as do many regions, and the case for Freesat is made.

Which is the main (only?) reason for Freesat's existence - if you get full Freeview there's little reason to have Freesat as well (although Freesat obviously has much greater potential then Freeview, it remains to be seen if it will ever develop).
    Forum Member
    Which is the main (only?) reason for Freesat's existence - if you get full Freeview there's little reason to have Freesat as well (although Freesat obviously has much greater potential then Freeview, it remains to be seen if it will ever develop).

Can't agree there Nigel. I have the full Freeview package x4 but I still have Freesat. I find Freesat very responsive, more capacity, quicker and offers greater potential, with some very good hardware.
  • Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is the main (only?) reason for Freesat's existence

I was in one of the last area's to get HD on DTT so Freesat gave me earlier access to HD channels without the need to go to Sky. Which was also another reason why it was created.

Dan.
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Can't agree there Nigel. I have the full Freeview package x4 but I still have Freesat. I find Freesat very responsive, more capacity, quicker and offers greater potential, with some very good hardware.

So where's Dave on your Freesat box :D

Plus a few other decent channels as well, and while Freesat does have more channels than Freeview most of the extra ones aren't much good, and not as good as the missing ones.

Your supposed 'advantages' almost all appear to be simple hardware ones, which are nothing to do with Freesat or Freeview, simply down to design and cost of the boxes.
    Forum Member

I'm sure for most folk not having Dave on your Freesat box is annoying but not a major issue as you can just tune in using the TVs tuner.
    I get the full Freeview line up but when there's certain atmospheric conditions I do lose a mux which is one of the reasons for me moving to Freesat.
    IMO Freeview has one disadvantage being that it cannot really evolve much more than it is as there's not much chance of new channels being included, only new channels replacing existing channels it what can be achieved.
    Whereas Freesat has an opertunity of having so much more which it does already. The only thing preventing even more extra channels is the broadcasters unwillingness to pay for the EPG slot, but that stance does seem to of changed of late as more and more channels are going FTA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many other options for getting the On Demand services onto your TV I cannot understand why you would jump ship for something as simple as this? Example, Apple TV which I use all the time does a great job. I can also jump to a point in the recording on the 1000s - simple.

Mind you they do say there's nowt as queer as folks!

But YouView already has six on demand services on board as of now. I work away from home a lot,so am finding the remote record a godsend.Are you saying you can input a start point on a recording by entering say 22 minutes?Also with the major players backing YouView,I can see it progressing quicker than freetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Am I to take it you've sold your <freetime> box then?

On eBay as of tonight.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I'm sure for most folk not having Dave on your Freesat box is annoying but not a major issue as you can just tune in using the TVs tuner.

How?, when the vast majority of Freeview transmitters don't broadcast Dave (and many other channels). That's the reason for Freesat's existence, which unfortunately doesn't include providing Dave.

The EPG costs have nothing to do with channels not appearing on Freesat, it's a small enough fee not to be significant - the reasons are FAR more complicated and expensive than that.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4OD and Demand 5 don't have the sort of content to bother me not having them on my Humax Foxsat HDR, I'm happy with iPlayer and ITV Player, which I've been using a lot lately.

I have full Freeview coverage but chose Freesat as my main platform for early access to HD channels, additional channels that I would actually watch including news and music, additional BBC red button streams (since removed) and the potential for growth.

The only small temptation to consider a new platform currently is the free BT Sport channels offer since I'm with BT for my broadband, but the situation on DTT looks a mess with the terrestrial broadcasts limited to a BT Vision receiver and the Youview box needing an Infinity connection. I've no wish to subscribe to Sky or use a Sky HD box for freesat.
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How?, when the vast majority of Freeview transmitters don't broadcast Dave (and many other channels). That's the reason for Freesat's existence, which unfortunately doesn't include providing Dave.

The EPG costs have nothing to do with channels not appearing on Freesat, it's a small enough fee not to be significant - the reasons are FAR more complicated and expensive than that.

OH NO, no Dave:eek: well that's the end of FREESAT then Nigel:D:D:D
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How?, when the vast majority of Freeview transmitters don't broadcast Dave (and many other channels).

Yet the vast majority of viewers can receive it (90% according to Ofcom), as it's mainly just small relay transmitters that are unable to carry the full Freeview service.
    Forum Member

Plus a few other decent channels as well, and while Freesat does have more channels than Freeview most of the extra ones aren't much good, and not as good as the missing ones.

Your supposed 'advantages' almost all appear to be simple hardware ones, which are nothing to do with Freesat or Freeview, simply down to design and cost of the boxes.

Yes, just about to watch BBC Scotland, where's that on your Freeview box, if your not in Scotland? Of course with having both I can mix and match. :D
    Forum Member
    Yes, just about to watch BBC Scotland, where's that on your Freeview box, if your not in Scotland? Of course with having both I can mix and match. :D

Which is pretty minor :D

By FAR the greatest reason for having Freesat (and the reason for it's creation) is if you only get Freeview Lite.
    Forum Member
    But YouView already has six on demand services on board as of now. I work away from home a lot,so am finding the remote record a godsend.Are you saying you can input a start point on a recording by entering say 22 minutes?Also with the major players backing YouView,I can see it progressing quicker than freetime.
    Just press the ok button once your recording starts to get the progress bar then press the forward arrow and release at desired point, it's almost instant.

Brother in Law has Youview, the hardware is to slow to die sudden.
    Forum Member
    Which is pretty minor :D

By FAR the greatest reason for having Freesat (and the reason for it's creation) is if you only get Freeview Lite.

So you have the brass neck to quote Dave then state Freesat's ability to watch all regional programming as minor - do me a favour.
    Forum Member
    Yeah maybe 5 years ago :rolleyes:
    Freeview offers up to 50 TV channels, and 24 radio stations plus 4 HD channels.
    Freesat brings you over 150 free TV and radio channels which currently stands at 191 channels, 6 of which are HD and add on top of that non-freesat mode.
    Yep of coarse Freeview lite is the only reason for going to Freesat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    On eBay as of tonight.

If yous is 99p starting bid, being its a no listing fee weekend I would have made at least £10 to £20 starting bid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    If yous is 99p starting bid, being its a no listing fee weekend I would have made at least £10 to £20 starting bid

well i have put my technisat on as to re-invest in a Foxsat HDR, should never have sold it when i got the freetime box but hey ho, they cheap enuff graded direct from humax :D....and the technisat isnt twin tuner and the epg takes weeks to populate and isnt technically a PVR, but is if ya have Flashpen/HDD plugged into USB port like i have....