Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Definitely....the writers better get started now because the next few episodes have got to be an intricately structured work of art. For this program it seems they insert some absolutely telling, constructed works of DM canon amongst disease of the week, funny locals episodes. When you hit those episodes though, it blows you away

Oh, absolutely! And what makes this program so great to watch and discuss :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    Let's play Louisa's friend

If you were Louisa's friend and she confided in you at the end of series 6 about Martin's behavior, what would you tell her?

It depends whether or not this friend loves or loathes Martin. In the most simplistic terms (and by no means well thought out on my part here....)

I think if this friend loves Louisa and knows how much Louisa loves Martin, they would listen/talk, maybe even talk her out of going to Spain or at least give her some things to think about while she is in Spain if he/she is that perceptive and isn't willing to jump into making their own judgements to dump him. Perhaps the friend sees something in Louisa that Louisa needs to look at herself and only a good friend whom Louisa trusts would be that honest with her.

If this friend loathes Martin, he/she would probably recommend telling her to walk away from the marriage. And in the end this "friend" probably really isn't a "friend" if he/she isn't taking into consideration Louisa's feelings. They only see what's on the surface as well and can't see what's really inside her heart/mind.

The friend has to listen and not judge. Talk, but not lead. Allow Louisa to come to her own conclusion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently "Listen With Mother" was a radio programme of the 1950's on the BBC. It ran until 1982.

Hence the Series 6 - Episode 7 "odd" title.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    It depends whether or not this friend loves or loathes Martin. In the most simplistic terms (and by no means well thought out on my part here....)

I think if this friend loves Louisa and knows how much Louisa loves Martin, they would listen/talk, maybe even talk her out of going to Spain or at least give her some things to think about while she is in Spain if he/she is that perceptive and isn't willing to jump into making their own judgements to dump him. Perhaps the friend sees something in Louisa that Louisa needs to look at herself and only a good friend whom Louisa trusts would be that honest with her.

If this friend loathes Martin, he/she would probably recommend telling her to walk away from the marriage. And in the end this "friend" probably really isn't a "friend" if he/she isn't taking into consideration Louisa's feelings. They only see what's on the surface as well and can't see what's really inside her heart/mind.

The friend has to listen and not judge. Talk, but not lead. Allow Louisa to come to her own conclusion.

OK...intimacy..love making..fine until the wedding...then distant..not connecting. Won't go on holiday..refuses to be away from patients..still cares for James Henry, but not for you. Very odd. Something about taking the vows..something about being content is not sitting well. The man is in some sort of distress..you have to help him..not run away..but..not so smart
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    That brings me back to the symbolism about the blood on the wedding dress. Haemophobia = "fear of blood," which returned over the course of the season. Blood all over the wedding dress translates to DM's fear of marriage, fear of this new phase of their relationship. Perhaps even fear of life with LE, as others here have opined that blood represents life on this show.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Let's play Louisa's friend

If you were Louisa's friend and she confided in you at the end of series 6 about Martin's behavior, what would you tell her?

Louisa can't confide in her friend. It would have to be Aunt Ruth, who knew him as a child and saw the change in him gradually over the years. Any close friend of Louisa would not have known of DM's childhood and what let him to the person he is today. As Aunt Ruth mentioned to Martin, in S6E8 ..."you don't feel you deserve her, . . ." Aunt Ruth, even though she is a close relative, can give Louisa an unbiased professional opinion about Martin's behavior.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a Tweet from Dominic Minghella. He wrote the episode Haemophobia.

"Ouch. Thanks to McLoughlins who found this from 1976 in their attic. And thanks Mr Gordon Walker, wherever you may be pic.twitter.com/g79lcT7XZd"

(I'm sorry that I can't get the URL to come out -- it's a clipping of a newspaper article which describes his near death experience due to a ruptured spleen, which he got falling off a bar in gym. Hope you can see it.)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    That's a Tweet from Dominic Minghella. He wrote the episode Haemophobia.

"Ouch. Thanks to McLoughlins who found this from 1976 in their attic. And thanks Mr Gordon Walker, wherever you may be pic.twitter.com/g79lcT7XZd"

(I'm sorry that I can't get the URL to come out -- it's a clipping of a newspaper article which describes his near death experience due to a ruptured spleen, which he got falling off a bar in gym. Hope you can see it.)

https://twitter.com/DMinghella then look in Photos. Thanks for the mention of it, NewPark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/DMinghella then look in Photos. Thanks for the mention of it, NewPark.

That is very interesting....my brother ruptured his spleen in a sledding accident. Spent the afternoon bleeding out until my Dad got home. Barely made it to the ER by car. Been there, done that. He was never the same after that.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    That brings me back to the symbolism about the blood on the wedding dress. Haemophobia = "fear of blood," which returned over the course of the season. Blood all over the wedding dress translates to DM's fear of marriage, fear of this new phase of their relationship. Perhaps even fear of life with LE, as others here have opined that blood represents life on this show.

For me, this represents that a carotid artery spewed all over LG. Actually twice!

I cannot possibly see how any other symbolism can be discerned from that, but it is interesting that folks enjoy musing on topics like this. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was again struck by the expression of DM as he dressed and particularly the shot of him through the window of the cab as it pulled up to the church. He looked like a man going to a funeral of someone quite near and dear. It didn't look like nerves. That, I think, was the first pointer, as to how the season was going to go. (Unless we count the first scene, in which he insensitively told a female patient that he knew more about how her female parts functioned than she did -- clearly an arrogant statement, suggesting that he really probably doesn't understand women at all -- no surprise here.)

I feel I have to defend DM from the above comment, although NewPark's comment are always so interesting to read.

However, as a physician, to read the interpretation that another physician knows nothing because he states he knows more than a patient is not fair or accurate.

Likely, DM definitely know an IMMENSE more than the woman--he knows the entirety of her hormonal flow from the hypocampus down to how it changes throughout her cycle day by day. He understands the locations of leiomyomas can be intramural, subserosal, submucosal, or cervical. He understands how to interpret pap results, CIN, ASCUS, etc, and what medical procedures need to occur with each different interpretation. He understands how to diagnose and treat all STIs and vaginitis infections, no matter the causative microorganism. He knows alarm signs for ovarian and uterine cancer. We saw him once getting pessaries from Mrs. T, so he knows how to fit a pessary and treat pelvic organ prolapses. He knows how to examine the anatomy of a woman to discern ovarian cysts, PID, fibroids, etc. Etc, etc.

So, yeah, he knows A LOT more than the woman, from a medical perspective, which is what he was clearly referring to. Let's not minimize his GP knowledge base just because he was rude to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Thank you, Mona, your last two comments were spot on!

Thanks, Zarwen! :)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son ran across a few videos of latest weather in Port Isaac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6MvN99AMl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZQp zV2lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boOVYltgrUG

The first two videos are from this location:

http://goo.gl/maps/EOLwa

My computer does not pick up the above on this DM Digital Spy thread but I saw them on my e-mail, (go figure), but I believe the sites are correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I feel I have to defend DM from the above comment, although NewPark's comment are always so interesting to read.

However, as a physician, to read the interpretation that another physician knows nothing because he states he knows more than a patient is not fair or accurate.

Likely, DM definitely know an IMMENSE more than the woman--he knows the entirety of her hormonal flow from the hypocampus down to how it changes throughout her cycle day by day. He understands the locations of leiomyomas can be intramural, subserosal, submucosal, or cervical. He understands how to interpret pap results, CIN, ASCUS, etc, and what medical procedures need to occur with each different interpretation. He understands how to diagnose and treat all STIs and vaginitis infections, no matter the causative microorganism. He knows alarm signs for ovarian and uterine cancer. We saw him once getting pessaries from Mrs. T, so he knows how to fit a pessary and treat pelvic organ prolapses. He knows how to examine the anatomy of a woman to discern ovarian cysts, PID, fibroids, etc. Etc, etc.

So, yeah, he knows A LOT more than the woman, from a medical perspective, which is what he was clearly referring to. Let's not minimize his GP knowledge base just because he was rude to her.

I wasn't at all meaning to denigrate his medical knowledge, and I'm sorry that it came across that way. I'm happy to stipulate that any MD knows far more about female anatomy and functioning than I do.

I just think that comment was meant to signify that he has less understanding of women than he thinks he does, with respect to how to relate to them and their emotional functioning, and one way to understand it is not as a literal statement but as sort of "pride goeth before a fall."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    My son ran across a few videos of latest weather in Port Isaac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6MvN99AMl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZQp zV2lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boOVYltgrUG

The first two videos are from this location:

http://goo.gl/maps/EOLwa

My computer does not pick up the above on this DM Digital Spy thread but I saw them on my e-mail, (go figure), but I believe the sites are correct.

England in general is having appalling weather -- Cornwall horrible, wind gust over 100 mph in Cumbria, large parts of Somerset have been flooded for at least many days, if not weeks, and they are having to close the London flood gates but still communities along the Thames are in danger of flooding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just think that comment was meant to signify that he has less understanding of women than he thinks he does, with respect to how to relate to them and their emotional functioning, and one way to understand it is not as a literal statement but as sort of "pride goeth before a fall."

FWIW, I read your comment as illustrating the symbolism, not putting him down as an accomplished physician.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't at all meaning to denigrate his medical knowledge, and I'm sorry that it came across that way. I'm happy to stipulate that any MD knows far more about female anatomy and functioning than I do.

Hello, again, NewPark!

Well, DM was doing an exam on a patient, and since we have no idea what the complaint was, but we can assume it was related to a physical ailment, and his exam was apparently negative. I do not believe the ensuing verbal exchange showed us anything new about DM, or signified any future events.

For one thing, we already know he is clueless at times and is off-putting to many patients, and he doesn't care or focus on emotional aspects with patients as a general rule (except now and then, which we note is particularly touching; the teen with little breast development; Al with stress hives, etc).

So, while I do not see that DM acted in any new way with this woman--he competently ruled out she has a problem, so he's not concerned she still thinks she might--I don't believe it was any new insight into his character, or any "foreboding" of his poorly written downfall. DM has always had problems with female emotions, even way back when, when he was sweeping his front patio and telling LG he never knew what she was referring to or how he should answer.

My summary is that I think S6 is over-analyzed for "symbolism" when at times what we are seeing is DM just being his normal DM self. I don't see that first interaction as any foreboding of what was going to happen, except perhaps we see the contrast of him being a highly confident, competent doc, and then losing his competency later in the series, except when they had to have him competent when he did LG's surgery. (Another example of the on/off mess of S6).

But, I know I stand out on the Forum, as symbolism of this and that is a favorite topic of a few discussing DM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, again, NewPark!

Well, DM was doing an exam on a patient, and since we have no idea what the complaint was, but we can assume it was related to a physical ailment, and his exam was apparently negative. I do not believe the ensuing verbal exchange showed us anything new about DM, or signified any future events.

For one thing, we already know he is clueless at times and is off-putting to many patients, and he doesn't care or focus on emotional aspects with patients as a general rule (except now and then, which we note is particularly touching; the teen with little breast development; Al with stress hives, etc).

So, while I do not see that DM acted in any new way with this woman--he competently ruled out she has a problem, so he's not concerned she still thinks she might--I don't believe it was any new insight into his character, or any "foreboding" of his poorly written downfall. DM has always had problems with female emotions, even way back when, when he was sweeping his front patio and telling LG he never knew what she was referring to or how he should answer.

My summary is that I think S6 is over-analyzed for "symbolism" when at times what we are seeing is DM just being his normal DM self. I don't see that first interaction as any foreboding of what was going to happen, except perhaps we see the contrast of him being a highly confident, competent doc, and then losing his competency later in the series, except when they had to have him competent when he did LG's surgery. (Another example of the on/off mess of S6).

But, I know I stand out on the Forum, as symbolism of this and that is a favorite topic of a few discussing DM.

Can you buy a milder version of this, which is that this show traffics in irony, and this is an ironic statement?

If not, well, there's a perfectly good saying in some circles: "take what you need and leave the rest." :) Not everyone has to enjoy, agree with, or find any point to any particular discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If not, well, there's a perfectly good saying in some circles: "take what you need and leave the rest." :) Not everyone has to enjoy, agree with, or find any point to any particular discussion.

Amen. That's what makes this a good discussion board. Everyone brings SOMETHING to it whether from a similar or divergent viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you buy a milder version of this, which is that this show traffics in irony, and this is an ironic statement?

I still didn't like how he used his gloved right hand to answer the phone.....eeyew ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, this represents that a carotid artery spewed all over LG. Actually twice!

I cannot possibly see how any other symbolism can be discerned from that, but it is interesting that folks enjoy musing on topics like this. :)

I thought, though not symbolic of anything, that the shot of Louisa channeled a hint of the appearance of Carrie in the prom scene of the Stephen King movie. Just a tongue in cheek joke....just as they use the banjo and "Deliverance" style music whenever they're dealing with the "earthy people" of the Moor. Or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly riff when Margaret and Aunt Ruth throw down at the coffee shop. Just funny, smart comedy for knowledgable viewers.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting piece on DM and the whole picture of syndication, PBS, etc.
    http://www.current.org/2014/02/syndication-of-doc-martin-bolsters-viewership-fundraising-for-pubtv-stations/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello, again, NewPark!

But, I know I stand out on the, as symbolism of this and that is a favorite topic of a few discussing DM.

Mona, you know I love looking for symbolism, but I am in complete agreement with you on this one! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A very happy Valentines Day to our favorite lovers, Martin and Louisa! :D:p:D

And to all the members of our forum as well! :)
This discussion has been closed.