If the storm is bad tonight...

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think any stations will go live?
I think one to check might be LBC if its bad in the South East.

Comments

• hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heard onair Julia Moore will be doing a special for BBC Sussex and Surrey, no doubt the LBC team will also have updates on Heart?
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess most presenters who live far away and on earlies will stay in hotels this evening.
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    heard onair Julia Moore will be doing a special for BBC Sussex and Surrey, no doubt the LBC team will also have updates on Heart?

People moan about this station but it definately comes into it own when there are weather problems etc. Is Julia keeping the station on air all night then?
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    People moan about this station but it definately comes into it own when there are weather problems etc. Is Julia keeping the station on air all night then?

From 4am. I agree this station is vital during bad weather. I will have the radio tuned to them in the morning. Last time that happened it was snowing!
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I saw somewhere that BBC London is live through the night with Simon Lederman.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Allen on LBC will be a bit stormy. :D
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Think I saw somewhere that BBC London is live through the night with Simon Lederman.

Yes BBC London are carrying a special with Simon at 1am before Harriet takes over at 4am
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Isle of wight Radio on air live all night
  • Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pirate FM will be live later than usual
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free Radio is also Live throughout the night
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Pirate FM will be live later than usual

James said just before the chart that a guy (forget his name) will be on after chart. Good news as I am in Cornwall until tomorrow.

Wonder if Wave 105 would go live. I'd like to think so.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many stations will be taken off air during the storm.....takes me back to sitting out the storms on a radio ship!!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free Radio is also Live throughout the night

Suppose that will only be the Fm side though.

If it's really bad, they ought to simulcast Fm & Am.

Beacon & Wabc had simulcast in snowy weather in the past.

Suspect Brmb & Xtra Am probably did too.

Or is there a need these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenter can easily record links for updates on the FR80s, while still playing 80s music
  • Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Which commercial stations/networks are always live at night? The Global ones? Any others?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Bobbins wrote: »
    Which commercial stations/networks are always live at night? The Global ones? Any others?

Absolute is live 24/7 (not the decade stations)
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the BBC local radio stations I can receive, Radio York has consistently been the best when there has been flooding or bad weather in terms of staying on air. I don't think it is going to cause enough problems here though.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just looked at the websites for BBC London 94.9FM and BBC Radio Newcastle and on BBC London's it has Simon Lederman listed whereas BBC Newcastle just has BBC Radio 5 Live overnight, having said that looking from the weather map it looks like we will either be just on the edge of the storm or miss it.

One thing is that the forecasters are saying it is set to be a stormy night across the UK and Wales and I heard earlier that here in the North East we are going to get very heavy rain tomorrow but who knows weather is weather so it could reach here or it might not, I would give some advice for those in the definite areas to make sure you have enough batteries or power for your radios as well as some sort of light ready if the worst does happen.

It is really bad when you are woken up by the noise and the lights go out and you are suddenly in pitch black, we have the odd power cuts where I live and they happen at any time and can do so at night. I also find it being a benefit if you have a gas hob as you can at least have a cup of tea and something to eat.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Nolan's doing a special program on 5Live.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got enough batteries to last at least a year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    James said just before the chart that a guy (forget his name) will be on after chart. Good news as I am in Cornwall until tomorrow.

It's actually James Dundon who's back on air, having already done a four hour show earlier in the day! They're live and local for 'as long as necessary' with JD presenting, Tristran (the News Editor) doing bulletins on the hour and the half hour and travel every 15 minutes. Now that's what I call a good service!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC WM is still running Torrington until 1am, then 5live.

Surely most of the action is after 1am in the Midlands?

Certainly Free seem to think so.

What about Global West Midlands (Heart/ Capital / Smooth) or Signal 107 in Wolves?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    dtb wrote: »
    It's actually James Dundon who's back on air, having already done a four hour show earlier in the day! They're live and local for 'as long as necessary' with JD presenting, Tristran (the News Editor) doing bulletins on the hour and the half hour and travel every 15 minutes. Now that's what I call a good service!

It's why it's my default listen in the area, always has been.

Does anyone know if Wave 105 is live this evening?
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any info about what the Kent Stations are doing. ie BBC radio Kent / KM-fm & the community radio stations.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Wally Webb (the real Alan Partridge) will be live on air as usual at 4am broadcasting on the BBC to all the local stations in the East of England as the nation crashes down around him.

(which the nation won't be doing of course - this is a media storm mostly)