[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    ^^ That. I wouldnt mind if either side were making progress but just how many people have died on both sides just to maintain the status quo ?

Ridiculous, surely Hamas must see they will NEVER defect Israel through force of arms alone so really, what is the point. If you keep getting stung...stop poking the honets nest, dont use getting stung as an excuse to keep poking. At some point in all endeavour you really need to start to review the sucess of any actions you are carrying out surely ?

So if someone occupies your land and subjugates the population you should just accept it meekly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if someone occupies your land and subjugates the population you should just accept it meekly?

Or to turn your question around " if someone occupies your land and subjugates the population you should just fire rockets at them indescriminantly?"

Whats that Indian fellow called. Gandesh or something? :D

He seemed fairly succesful...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friar wrote: »
    Or to turn your question around " if someone occupies your land and subjugates the population you should just fire rockets at them indescriminantly?"

Whats that Indian fellow called. Gandesh or something? :D

He seemed fairly succesful...

OK then, if someone occupies you land and subjugates the population, what would you do or recommend?
  • Options
    colinffcolinff Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    For the 3rd time - GAZA IS NOT OCCUPIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK then, if someone occupies you land and subjugates the population, what would you do or recommend?

I thought I made it clear - civil disobediance.

From your earlier question and your non answer, are we to imply that you would also fire rockets indiscriminantly into civilian terrotory?
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do whatever works and causes least death of 'your side' for maximum return, lobbing random rockets is not that I dont believe. I dont see any element of reasonable return from Hamas is doing, maybe I am missing the progress this is making however,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colinff wrote: »

It everyone knows it is not, but it is surrounded by Israeli troops blocking goods and services coming in (although slightly relaxed now but still not nearly enough, and which has almost been condemned by many other states). The air, sea (remember what happened with the Mavi Mamara), and land around it is controlled by Israelis. One side is controlled by Eygptians, but they are the second largest receiver of US aid, and do what the Americans tell them, and in turn the Israelis have big influence over in Washington. It may not be physically occupied, but tbh its not much different now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The issue is not just about Gaza, it's about the whole area, but maybe you can't see that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The issue is not just about Gaza, it's about the whole area, but maybe you can't see that?
    Eh? This is my thread about attacks eminating from Gaza. Which area are you discussing specifically?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought I made it clear - civil disobediance.

From your earlier question and your non answer, are we to imply that you would also fire rockets indiscriminantly into civilian terrotory?
    Root cause is occupation of Palestine by an oppressive government, Hamas is an outcome of the root cause. Deal with the root cause and the symptoms go away.

For the record, I condemn the rocket attacks as much as I condemn the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israeli government.

Does this answer your question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eh? This is my thread about attacks eminating from Gaza. Which area are you discussing specifically?

I thought we were discussing the reasons behind the attacks and whether the root cause could be addressed rather than the symptoms. My understanding is that although the attacks come from Gaza, the overall occupation of palestinian land is the cause and until that is addressed by a radical change of Israeli government policy the problems will continue.

The issue needs to be addressed politically, not by tit for tat strikes against each other (cf Nothern Ireland conflict).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this answer your question?

No.

What would you advocate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No.

What would you advocate?

OK, to make it clear, I do not advocate firing rockets in civilian areas.

My solution is that there needs to be movement on political lines with both sides involved in a paradigm shift. The Israeli government needs to give equal rights to all people who live in the area, whatever their religion and no matter where they came from. Proper compensation needs to be given to people whose land was taken over and equality in resources such as water and energy needs to be a priority. The state of Israel also needs become secular. In return, the indigenous population needs to take part in the democratic process and give up arms and then be involved in the running of the country as a whole. I.e. a single secular state solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That much was clear.
    My solution is that there needs to be movement on political lines with both sides involved in a paradigm shift. The Israeli government needs to give equal rights to all people who live in the area, whatever their religion and no matter where they came from. Proper compensation needs to be given to people whose land was taken over and equality in resources such as water and energy needs to be a priority. The state of Israel also needs become secular. In return, the indigenous population needs to take part in the democratic process and give up arms and then be involved in the running of the country as a whole. I.e. a single secular state solution.

Interesting answer, and it sounds very fair. I dont beleieve Israel will ever become a secular state though.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If only that could happen.... still one day we live in hope
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/qassam-strikes-near-ashkelon-school-lightly-wounding-israeli-girl-1.331779?localLinksEnabled=false

A Qassam rocket struck the Ashkelon beach early Tuesday, exploding in an open field near a kindergarten and lightly wounded a girl on her way to school.

Thank goodness that was all. Shame on anyone rushing to help these thugs achieve independence. Gaza needs isolating.

how many palestinians has israel killed today, yesterday .. tomorrow ..

you do know that along with the 10 000 illegally detained without charge - including women and children - israel murders at least 3 palestinians a day be they children or women or elderly ..

and netenyahu claims israel to be a jewish state, is this what judaism is really about ?
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »

you do know that along with the 10 000 illegally detained without charge - including women and children - israel murders at least 3 palestinians a day be they children or women or elderly ..

and netenyahu claims israel to be a jewish state, is this what judaism is really about ?
    ..and Islam is all about going out and killing non muslims?
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would that mean that you support the Israeli reaction in 1948, when Jordan, Egypt and other Arab Nations occupied the Palestinian territories as laid down in UN Article 181?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wendy09 wrote: »

None. Currently, there is no such place as Palestine. ;)

My turn.

What is your opinion of jihadists firing rockets out of Gaza at a kindergarten?
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    Fanatical bilge - just like Hamas.

That's twice in a month I have agreed with you.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    None. Currently, there is no such place as Palestine. ;)My turn.

What is your opinion of jihadists firing rockets out of Gaza at a kindergarten?

Is that how you salve your conscience?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The dead are mostly Egyptian terrorists in Gaza.

Ask a stupid question..
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that how you salve your conscience?

Why should we have a guilt trip over this?

Both sides are as bad as the other. They'll never get on and as the Arab League demonstrated 60 odd years ago, they're not agreeable to a 2 state set up.

When you poke a stick into a hornets nest and get badly stung, the sensible thing is to avoid the hornets nest.

Hamas keep poking the Israeli hornets nest, full in the knowledge that Israel will react and civilians will die.

To keep doing so, with that knowledge, just makes no damn sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. Currently, there is no such place as Palestine. ;)

My turn.
    <snipped the rest due to forfeiting their turn>

You don't get a turn when you say something which was said to intentionally antagonise. Forfeit!

It was also a very daft thing to say.