Options

Just listening to some Katie's performances

GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why did she receive such dreadful treatment form the press and public. She is clearly talented and has a nice tone to her voice. If it is her 'theatrical' manner I would ask you to watch Paloma Faith who is over theatrical. Katie pales in insignificance. I like Paloma Faith by the way.

Comments

• Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was used as a sacrificial goat to keep the heat off Cher imo. Every show needs a villain and they decided it was to be Katie (and Wagner) this year.

She was clearly not a rock chick, yet she kept being given rock songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she got shit treatment from the media, and she was a bit desperate. Ironic, because it's not like she was the only desperate one on the show.

She also got songs that didn't showcase the strong points of her voice, She has, IMO, a very good recording voice (her parts in the group songs sounded great)
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    The public need a hate figure to take the dissatisfaction they feel towards their own lives out on. In Cher's case; straight up intimidation, jealousy, fear, awe, inability to process her fabulosity, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was used as a sacrificial goat to keep the heat off Cher imo. Every show needs a villain and they decided it was to be Katie (and Wagner) this year.

Cher got crucified pretty badly by the press, so by no means was she the chosen one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    People were wondering if she was a plant - given that cowell had paid $$$ to release her from a US recording contract and given that she kept being saved by the judges.
    She was an indication that the show was being rigged
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bashing she took was unfair : not the greatest vocalist ever,but not bad either and certainly far from the worst of XF 2010.

As others have said,I believe she was put through as a hate figure by the producers and to deflect attention away from how dislikeable Cher was (much of what we read in the tabloids about Katie was propaganda from the X Factor PR machine).
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I thought her voice was decent enough but in true X Factor style it wasnt really her voice that she was primarilly being judged on by the voting public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    it wasn't her voice (which isn't that good anyway) but her personality. She screams 'fake'. but anyway i'm #overit and wish her the best in the future.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all very unpleasant but the tabloids try to stir up as much shite as possible and you will always find people ready to beleive anything that reinforces their own notions, regardless of credible evidence.

IMO part of the problem though was Katie's desparation for approval and not just in terms of her performance. I liked the huskiness of her voice and loved some of her performances but her needyness was offputting.

I don't think that she was a bad lass at all but her behavour was at times ill judged eg when she pushed herself of Aiden for mutual support when they were in the bottom two when he didn't seem to be comfortable with it,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    I thought her voice was decent enough but in true X Factor style it wasnt really her voice that she was primarilly being judged on by the voting public.

Which probably applies to every single XF act : it's not a talent show,but a soap opera with a cast of characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    But why bother to put cher in knowing you'd need a hate figure to deflect the hate away from cher?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I wanted to like Katie and do agree that she has a good singing voice, but she was just being given too many chances imo over others. She ballsed up her first audition and the Judges Houses, came in the bottom fourth. It just felt like she was being rammed down everyone's throat and that we were being ordered to support/like her from Simon/Louis. I didn't mind her at first but by the ended just wanted her off my tv.

That being said she didn't deserve the crap she got from the media/public and I wish her well. Just glad I don't have to watch her week after week in all her different guises.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    But why bother to put cher in knowing you'd need a hate figure to deflect the hate away from cher?

LOL. Don't try to apply logic or reason to that embarrassing theory.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Which probably applies to every sing XF act : it's not a talent show,but a soap opera with a cast of characters.

Absolutely! And I wouldnt have it any other way. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were wondering if she was a plant - given that cowell had paid $$$ to release her from a US recording contract and given that she kept being saved by the judges.
    She was an indication that the show was being rigged

So why didn't Treyc receive the same venom? Same situation with the recording contract, and maybe the judges were saving her over the others because they saw potential in her, and the others were dull as dishwater? And the one time that she was up against someone who they thought also had similar potential, the public dismissed the other act.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Katie was always better than Aiden and Pajie imo.

The whole "fake" business was rubbish from the start as she was always herself but just choose to show different sides of her personality.

Prior to the show she bleached and damaged which is why she was wearing the space helmet and head dresses as it covered the damage. As the series continued she just went back to her natural color.

People judged her on anything but her voice it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know,it's complicated : I honestly think Cher was the chosen one this year ie. the person Cowell most wanted to win.But he was fighting a losing battle from Judges' House onwards.I do think Katie kept Cher in until the end.....had there been no Katie,Cher would have been badly exposed and probably would have been the hate figure of this series.

And the producers were fuelling all this : much of the negative stories about Katie in the press were clearly coming from the XF PR machine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just came across as really dislikeable for a variety of reasons - her first audition, shots of her pretentiously waltzing around outside Cheryl's 'house' with a parasol, shots of her saying she wanted to be a 'legend' or whatever. And then on top of that, rumours about her being a plant.

I'm not saying she deserved to be turned into a national hate figure. Of course the response was OTT. But it's always going to be with TXF. The whole show is OTT.

Have to say though I wasn't impressed by her voice on the whole. I liked 'I wanna be like you', but other than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I know,it's complicated : I honestly think Cher was the chosen one this year ie. the person Cowell most wanted to win.But he was fighting a losing battle from Judges' House onwards.I do think Katie kept Cher in until the end.....had there been no Katie,Cher would have been badly exposed and probably would have been the hate figure of this series.

And the producers were fuelling all this : much of the negative stories about Katie in the press were clearly coming from the XF PR machine.

Cher turned in mostly very good performances, save for one or two off nights. It's not like she wasn't without merit, and the public generally kept her in the competition pretty long.

Her personality issues seemed to be the creation of a media blitz to create drama out of nowhere (i.e. SpoonGate, not being on stage to congratulate Matt). I have no doubt that she threw tantrums, but it seems they were directed at herself (frustration with her practices) rather than others. The sign of a perfectionist...hardly satanic behaviour.

Cher got the 3rd most negative stories behind Katie and Wagner, from what I could tell.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    ganix wrote: »
    She just came across as really dislikeable for a variety of reasons - her first audition, shots of her pretentiously waltzing around outside Cheryl's 'house' with a parasol, shots of her saying she wanted to be a 'legend' or whatever. And then on top of that, rumours about her being a plant.

I'm not saying she deserved to be turned into a national hate figure. Of course the response was OTT. But it's always going to be with TXF. The whole show is OTT.

Have to say though I wasn't impressed by her voice on the whole. I liked 'I wanna be like you', but other than that.

Everyone seems to have forgotten what Mary said which was:

" I just want to sing. I just want to a legend like Shirley Bassey".

So it wasn't just Katie wanting be a legend ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Im surprised so many people thought she was a good singer - I couldn't stand her voice and she had a tendency to go wildly out of tune. Her 'Don't Speak' was dreadful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I can't really remember why I hated her, but I did. Boo hiss.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never understood and never will understand why it is considered wrong for a singer to want to be a legend:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Katie was also a victim of class bias. A lot of people just saw Katie as a 'privileged stage school girl'. So you can see how similar things said by Mary From Tesco might sound quite different to a lot of people compared to how they sound when said by Katie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but this theory that Katie was put in to deflect hate from Cher is rubbish. If Katie was kept in for any length of time it was because she got people talking about the show and created hype. When she left the papers needed to fill the void so they started to turn on Cher.

The papers wrote a lot of crap about Katie, when she left one paper went with the headline - "Cher is the new Katie Waissel" It was obvious to anyone they were looking for someone else to drum up hate for after Katie left.

Once Katie left the competition many people stopped hating her and like a mindless herd started hating Cher. Neither of the girls deserved to have the bullshit written about them that they got. Their only crime was not being deemed 'likeable' by the general public / sheep who need pantomime hate-figures.