Options

Magic 999 Lancashire no longer local

elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
Forum Member
Darren Spence last breakfast show today on Magic 999 in Lancashire. On Monday it will be Ian Roberts from Magic 1152 Manchester networked. New facebook page called Magic Northwest. No more local shows from Preston on Magic 999.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not long before Rock FM leaves St Pauls church as well and the AM transmitters get turned off.
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic 1548 in Liverpool's also losing its local breakfast show with Kieron Fox in favour of the NW network show.

Inevitable I guess but I can't see that going down too well on Merseyside.

Just the Yorkshire Magics left to network then - who'll get that show? Sheffield, Leeds or Hull?
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Magic 1548 in Liverpool's also losing its local breakfast show with Kieron Fox in favour of the NW network show.

Inevitable I guess but I can't see that going down too well on Merseyside.<snip>

Ian Roberts is a great presenter and perfect for 1152 and 999 breakfast but his accent could be a barrier to the show working in Liverpool - although with the numbers maybe it's not as much as a risk as it once would have been.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic 1170 (Teesside) breakfast also finished today, Alan said he had been in the business 34 years, and did an emotional goodbye. So from Monday morning Anna Foster will be on 1152 and 1170.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,180
    Forum Member
    at least they are networking on a regional level and not a network one
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at least they are networking on a regional level and not a network one

Wouldn't be surprised if this level of regional networking doesn't stay for too long. They're probably looking to line up some sort of big name so they can network the whole thing with one breakfast show. But, this will save them a bit of money, which is what it all comes down to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    Ian Roberts is a great presenter and perfect for 1152 and 999 breakfast but his accent could be a barrier to the show working in Liverpool - although with the numbers maybe it's not as much as a risk as it once would have been.

Isn't he the 'what am I playing on my small organ?' guy? Yes, he's a funny, friendly fellah, I don't think he'll have a problem in Liverpool these days. (I say this as scouse born, living in Manc for 20 years... Mike Sweeney would be reviled lol, but I don't think Ian Roberts is particularly football orientated or outspoken).
  • Options
    6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Ian did breakfast on 999 before moving to 1152 so I'm sure Lancs listeners will remember him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Darren was Freelance, so it will of been easy to sort with no notice period or pay off.
    It is a shame, but look at the figures. Forget networking they should just turn it off and save the transmitting fee.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 35,001
    Forum Member
    Gold fully networked from London performs better than Magic in Manchester, so give the regional gig to the Manchester presenter. Right.....
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    Isn't he the 'what am I playing on my small organ?' guy? Yes, he's a funny, friendly fellah, I don't think he'll have a problem in Liverpool these days. (I say this as scouse born, living in Manc for 20 years... Mike Sweeney would be reviled lol, but I don't think Ian Roberts is particularly football orientated or outspoken).

City fan if i recall but doesn't mention it much
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard it being mentioned that eventually the whole breakfast may be networked from Newcastle- like almost everything is already, so that means Anna Foster will be on all 8 stations.....maybe in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was annoyed when they networked mike ried on Saturday and Sunday morning instead of simon Davies who was a great presenter same cannot be said about mike boring arse ried!
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,899
    Forum Member
    I have heard it being mentioned that eventually the whole breakfast may be networked from Newcastle- like almost everything is already, so that means Anna Foster will be on all 8 stations.....maybe in the future.

I hoped we'd be getting her on 1548 :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chris983 wrote: »
    I was annoyed when they networked mike ried on Saturday and Sunday morning instead of simon Davies who was a great presenter same cannot be said about mike boring arse ried!

I think Mike's show is great, I just wish he'd cut down the plays of the competition song plays. Gets really irritating after the first two or three in one hour :( :O
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mike's show is great, I just wish he'd cut down the plays of the competition song plays. Gets really irritating after the first two or three in one hour :( :O

Next time you listen to him just count the amount of times he says the word "err" seems to almost forget what he is talking about! I have never rated him think he is poor listen compared to Simon Davies
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    Sean Park wrote: »
    Darren was Freelance, so it will of been easy to sort with no notice period or pay off.

Not quite, freelance presenters usually have a contract and Bauer and any presenters will need to stick to it. Unless a presenter's contract has finished and won't be renewed then Bauer still have to pay that presenter. Sometimes you find them poping up to do cover on other group stations because they are being paid anyway so they might aswell work.

Unless it's fixed ith no get out on either side a freelance contract will usually have a notice period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chris983 wrote: »
    Next time you listen to him just count the amount of times he says the word "err" seems to almost forget what he is talking about! I have never rated him think he is poor listen compared to Simon Davies

I remember Mike's first shows on Magic and he did "er" quite a lot, I guess it's when he's trying to do too much at once. He does it a lot less now though and, as it's something I'd do myself if I was trying to talk AND run a radio programme (probably single handedly), I just let the "er"s wash over me. I never listened to Mike on Radio 1 but did like him on Big L, and I like him on Magic.

Magic at the weekend is better than Magic during the week, the pace seems faster.

No more current or recent songs though, please Magic!
  • Options
    Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic 1170 (Teesside) breakfast also finished today, Alan said he had been in the business 34 years, and did an emotional goodbye.

A lovely man, Alan Ross. Started on Pennine, I think. Fetched up at CBC/Red Dragon in Cardiff for quite a while. Always a good listen. Sorry to hear he's hung up his headphones.
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Screw Magic altogether. I was gutted when Red Rose Gold was taken off the air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Magic has grown on me after being reintroduced to me as a result of the Tony Blackburn show, but if they start playing new sh*t i'll be straight back to Gold.
  • Options
    xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I guess that's the end of the Piccadilly and Red Rose brands. Merseysiders still have City Talk with Pete Price but they seem to have salami sliced much of the output on that station. It was only 15 to 20 years ago when we had Piccadilly Gold, Red Rose Gold and City Gold live and local 24 hours a day with personality and in the case of Piccadilly until 1990 and City until 1992, 24 hour local news! I think Red Rose news went up to 10 or 11 p.m.weekdays, at one point!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Just turn off and let magic sales feel the pain .. the best way to hurt them is in the pocket ... then maybe they will understand the L in ILR is " local"