Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2013/14 season

Comments

• LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,555
    Forum Member
    Is it possible/probable that the co-commentator is actually Bill Turnbull of BBC Breakfast 'fame'? He usually does some commentaries for the clubs website.

Edit: Found a quote by Me where he is mentioned as being a commentator for Wycombe (2012/13 thread)
    It's a thought that crossed my mind but it didn't sound like the BBCtv Breakfast presenter.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Kevin Hatchard and Paul McVeigh
    Chelsea v Manchester United - Tom Rennie and Darren Eadie*

*There must have been a change in the talkSPORT Live commentary team for the 4pm game - on the Premier League Preview Show available on talkSPORT.com, Tom Rennie had advertised Phil Blacker and David Lee as being their commentary team for Chelsea v Manchester United.

talkSPORT Live's commentary team on Chelsea v Manchester United was actually Phil Blacker and Darren Eadie, so Tom Rennie was half right on their Premier League Preview Show (although Darren's tweet from earlier today suggests he thought would be co-commentating alongside "the boss" of their English language service, hence the erroneous information). I imagine Tom and AN Other will be commentating on West Bromwich Albion v Everton for them tomorrow night, as Tom usually covers the standalone Monday games.
    will someone be able to do the WM details on Monday and Saturday as i will be away from my computer?

I'll post the WM Sport details tomorrow and hopefully on Saturday as well (the fixture list is conducive for me with the two league teams on WM's patch playing that day both kicking off at 3pm), although for tomorrow's game, with me being outside of the West Midlands at the moment, I'll be relying on the Football Phone-In and won't be able to listen beyond 7pm, so there's always the chance I'll list the commentator and summariser in the wrong order!
  • rufusericrufuseric Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talkSPORT Live's commentary team on Chelsea v Manchester United was actually Phil Blacker and Darren Eadie, so Tom Rennie was half right on their Premier League Preview Show (although Darren's tweet from earlier today suggests he thought would be co-commentating alongside "the boss" of their English language service, hence the erroneous information). I imagine Tom and AN Other will be commentating on West Bromwich Albion v Everton for them tomorrow night, as Tom usually covers the standalone Monday games.

I'll post the WM Sport details tomorrow and hopefully on Saturday as well (the fixture list is conducive for me with the two league teams on WM's patch playing that day both kicking off at 3pm), although for tomorrow's game, with me being outside of the West Midlands at the moment, I'll be relying on the Football Phone-In and won't be able to listen beyond 7pm, so there's always the chance I'll list the commentator and summariser in the wrong order!

Kevin Hatchard has tweeted that he will be covering the Bundesliga for Talksport Live, starting with the 5.30 game next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufuseric wrote: »
    Kevin Hatchard has tweeted that he will be covering the Bundesliga for Talksport Live, starting with the 5.30 game next week.

Good spot Rufus, thanks for mentioning that on this thread. It is a really interesting development for talkSPORT Live. Has anyone seen the tie-up between them and the Bundesliga confirmed anywhere else? I had a quick check but could find no mention of it on either talkSPORT.com or the English language version of Bundesliga.com. Perhaps Kevin has mentioned his involvement in this project ahead of its official announcement in the week.

Having won the rights to provide commentaries on the three major English club football competitions globally, it's interesting to see that they are expanding their horizons. I presume their Bundesliga coverage will at least initially be an online-only service, with international radio coverage perhaps following if there is interest. I'm also keen to find out whether listeners in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and Germany will be able to access these commentaries or if they'll be geoblocked. I posted on here a few weeks ago about how the Bundesliga has an English language radio-style commentary service available online, with that chiefly covering the Friday night games, so it's interesting to note that it seems that talkSPORT Live's coverage will at least initially be of the Saturday Game of the Week kicking off at 5.30pm GMT. Kevin Hatchard seems a good choice of commentators - he has covered the Bundesliga for Betfair's website for quite a while now so has a good working knowledge of the league.
  • elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Radio Lancashire Matchnight
    Wed 15 Jan Fa Cup 3rd round replay
    Man City V Blackburn Rovers Andy Beyes & Kevin Gallagher

Sat 18 Jan Matchday Live
    Presented by Scott Read live from Turf Moor

Championship
    Barnsley v Blackpool Phil Cunliffe & Rob Edwards 103.9 & 104.5
    Notts Forest v Blackburn Andy Beyes & Ben Burgess 95.5 & DAB
    Burnley v Sheff Wed Scott Read

League 1
    Preston v Coventry Pete Oliver

League 2
    Cheltenham V Accrington Dan Jewell
    Exeter v Morecambe Derek Quinn
    Fleetwood v Hartlepool Gary Hunt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 20th January - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Nigel Pearson

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Tom Rennie and Matt Lawrence

BBC WM

Richard Wilford presenting WM Sport from the Hawthorns

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Rob Gurney and Richard Wilford (8pm commentary)

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone's Extra Time and The Goalzone from the Hawthorns with Ian Taylor in the studio

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Tom Ross and Tony Brown (8pm commentary in Birmingham, the Black Country and Shropshire)

IRN/Sky News Radio

Premier League
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Clive Edwards
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5Live

Mark Chapman is at The Hawthorns

Ian Dennis & Steve Claridge are commentating

Happy with Sky tonight as I can't stand Claridge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few notes on 5Live

- Tomorrows game at West Ham is down to be on Sports Extra now, it wasn't previously so it may just be to keep the Football League happy
    - Mark Pougatch returns to 5Live Sport tomorrow following his Ashes presentation work, he's also back on Saturday's
    - Saturday's 3pm KO of choice is unsurprisingly Southend vs Hull, Sports Extra have chosen S'land vs K'minster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 21st January - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Capital One Cup Special from Upton Park alongside Ray Parlour

Capital One Cup Semi-Final Second Leg
    West Ham United v Manchester City - Nigel Adderley and Ray Parlour (7.45pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside

talkSPORT Live

West Ham United v Manchester City - Alex Crook and Paul McVeigh

One other piece of talkSPORT news, at the end of the Hawksbee & Jacobs show today it was mentioned that their producer Jon Norman - who previously produced Keys & Gray's weekday morning programme and has reported on football and cricket for the station - was leaving to go on a five-week sabbatical before returning to the station to "help mastermind the station's World Cup coverage." I expect he'll be managing their outside broadcasts in Brazil.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Steffan Garrero (studio host)

Southport v Wrexham - Dylan Griffiths and Andy Legg (All frequencies / Online)
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 21/1/14

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Firhill on 810MW.

Partick Thistle v St Johnstone (7.45pm) - Rob Maclean, Billy Dodds and Derek McInnes (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,840
    Forum Member
    4-4-2 wrote: »

Good, he’s a great commentator

And can I just say, I think the abuse Stan Collymore has had on Twitter from so called “fans” and others for daring to have an opinion is absolutely disgusting. He puts his head above the parapet and has caused annoyance to myself on occasion - nothing, however, deserves the abuse he has suffered. He spoke very articulately on Today on Radio 4 this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news about Jim Proudfoot. Great to hear that the best radio football commentator around for my money will be rejoining the station where he made his name on a national level and will be going to the World Cup.

It's worth posting Jim's initial tweets announcing the news on here:
    I'm delighted to be rejoining @talkSPORT for the World Cup and beyond. I've had 4 very enjoyable years at @absoluteradio and am proud...
    ...of what we've all achieved there. Until the end of the season it's very much business as usual.

The second of those tweets pertains to how he will be remaining as Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football Live commentator until the end of the season, with them having 13 Premier League commentaries left this term. It will be interesting to see who Absolute bring in to replace Jim (presuming their live Premier League coverage continues under new owners Bauer) next season but it's good that they now have six months plus to find the right successor.

The news of Jim's return has also been confirmed on talkSPORT.com: http://talksport.com/press/jim-proudfoot-signs-talksport-14012276663

With Sam Matterface being all but confirmed as going to the World Cup as part of the ITV team, I'm hoping that JP is returning as talkSPORT's lead commentator for the tournament - the same role he held on their coverage of the 2002, 2006 and 2010 World Cups. Although a number of other commentators have been doing a good job for them over the past four seasons, I'm sure this is highly likely given his standing at the station during the 2000s.

It'll also be interesting to see if Jim returns to talkSPORT in any capacity ahead of the World Cup - perhaps on midweek UEFA Champions League games or during the Play-Off Finals once his tenure with Absolute Radio has concluded. I remember him largely taking a sabbatical from talkSPORT between the conclusion of Euro 2004 and the beginning of the 2006 World Cup, but returning to the station late on in the 2005/06 season to commentate on a couple of midweek matches for them before returning full-time in Germany.

While this is welcome news, it has to be said it isn't the most unexpected bit of news - a few of us touted this possibility of this happening on here given Matterface's ITV commitments and the uncertainty surrounding whether Absolute will be covering the World Cup. Indeed Jim's voice has featured prominently in a trailer talkSPORT have been airing since the beginning of the year to build up to their World Cup coverage.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for Sam Matterface - who's commentating on tonight's League Cup Semi-Final Second Leg for talkSPORT alongside Ray Houghton incidentally. Will he be usurped as talkSPORT's lead commentator if/when he returns to the station in the 2014/15 season? Will he look to move back into TV full-time now? Could talkSPORT choose to give some of this season's finals that he has covered for them in previous years - the FA Cup Final, League Cup Final, Championship Play-Off Final and potential Champions League or Europa League Finals - to other commentators who will be going to the World Cup with them instead?
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    @UKSportsRadio on Twitter have posted:

NEWS: John Roder says he isn't part of @talkSPORT's commentary team at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil this summer.

NEWS: Roder says "I'm not commentating for talkSPORT at the World Cup but hope to be contributing in some manner. I am doing TV commentary."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the news about John Roder 4-4-2. While it's good to have this confirmed by the man himself (Homesdale had posted that he understood this to be the case in the talkSPORT Chat thread last month), it is disappointing from a talkSPORT listener's perspective that he won't be part of the their World Cup commentary team as he's been excellent on the station's FA Cup and UEFA Champions League coverage over the past couple of seasons.

I suppose his contributions will be similar to those made by Ray Houghton at previous World Cups and European Championships, who tends to pop up from time to time on talkSPORT's discussion programmes from tournaments which he co-commentates on for RTE television in the Republic of Ireland. Sam Matterface might contribute to their coverage in a similar way too.

Given today's developments, I'd expect talkSPORT's commentary line-up for the 2014 World Cup to be as follows - Jim Proudfoot (as first choice commentator), Ian Danter and Nigel Adderley to lead their commentaries from Brazil with Nigel Pearson, Andrew McKenna and one or two others (most probably Geoff Peters and/or Graham Beecroft) covering games during the group stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 22nd January - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Capital One Cup Special from Old Trafford alongside Ray Houghton

Manchester United v Sunderland - Sam Matterface and Ray Houghton (7.45pm commentary), with Dom McGuinness at pitchside

talkSPORT Live

Manchester United v Sunderland - Tom Rennie and Alan McLoughlin

Interesting to note that the only commentary game listed for talkSPORT Live during FA Cup Fourth Round weekend is Saturday's early game, AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool. During the Third Round (including replays), the only game they covered was the North London derby. It'll be interesting to see if they continue only covering the one tie per round until the quarter or semi-finals, similar to how talkSPORT UK only covers one tie per round from the League Cup until the semi-final stage.

Over on talkSPORT UK, it'll be the Portsmouth commentary team from Quay Radio during the mid 2000s reunited on Friday night as Sam Matterface and Micky Quinn will be commentating on Arsenal v Coventry City. They'll be providing commentary on all five televised games from the Fourth Round as you'd expect with Around the Grounds planned for 3-5pm on the Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Green and Robbie Savage tonight on 5Live

Mark Pougatch from OT too

Anyone know who reported from Upton Park for 5Live last night?
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Nothman reported on West Ham v Man City for 5 Live last night.

Jonathan Overend and Kit Symons commentated on Sports Extra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks shaun, much appreciated!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Hatchard has tweeted confirmation that talkSPORT Live's Bundesliga commentaries will be going out through the official Bundesliga English TuneIn channel:
    My live radio commentary of the #Bundesliga game between #SGE and Hertha will be on #TuneIn - just search "Bundesliga English" Sat 17:30 KO.

The Bundesliga English channel also has commentary on Borussia Monchengladbach v Bayern Munich tomorrow at 7.30pm GMT as well as Eintracht Frankfurt v Hertha Berlin on Saturday at 5.30pm GMT.

TuneIn link: http://tunein.com/radio/Bundesliga-English-s205123/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 24th January - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: FA Cup Special from the Emirates Stadium alongside Micky Quinn

FA Cup Fourth Round
    Arsenal v Coventry City - Sam Matterface and Micky Quinn (7.45pm commentary), with Carl Ralley producing
    Nottingham Forest v Preston North End - Geoff Peters

A bit of BBC Local Radio news - James Mountford hosted his final edition of BBC Tees Sport tonight. He's leaving BBC Tees to join BBC Radio Merseyside's sports coverage team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 24th January - BBC Coventry & Warwickshire

Clive Eakin presenting BBC Coventry & Warwickshire Sport from the Emirates Stadium

FA Cup Fourth Round
    Arsenal v Coventry City - Clive Eakin and Geoff Foster (7.45pm commentary)

Bundesliga English

Bundesliga
    Borussia Monchengladbach v Bayern Munchen - Garry Preston (7.30pm GMT commentary - as TV world feed)
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO 5 LIVE

Presented by Mark Pougatch from Roots Hall

FA CUP - FOURTH ROUND
    Bournemouth v Liverpool - John Murray and Nigel Spackman (12:45 commentary)
    Birmingham v Swansea - Pat Murphy
    Bolton v Cardiff - Steve Bower
    Huddersfield v Charlton - Harry Gration
    Manchester City v Watford - Jonathan Overend
    Port Vale v Brighton - Juliette Ferrington
    Rochdale v Sheffield Wednesday - Conor McNamara
    Southampton v Yeovil - Mike Sewell
    Southend v Hull - Ian Dennis and David Pleat (15:00 commentary)
    Sunderland v Kidderminster - Alastair Yeomans (Dave Woods and Danny Higginbotham with commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    Wigan v Crystal Palace - Jacqui Oatley
    Stevenage v Everton - Ian Brown and Clive Allen (17:30 commentary)

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Leicester v Middlesbrough - Steve Wyeth
    Blackpool v Doncaster - Derm Tanner

SCOTTISH PREMIERSHIP
    Motherwell v Aberdeen - Eildh Barbour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 25th January - talkSPORT

Adrian Durham presenting Matchday Live with Ray Houghton at the Goldsands Stadium, Ray Parlour at Roots Hall and Michael Gray at the Lamex Stadium, followed by Call Collymore with Danny Kelly

FA Cup Fourth Round
    AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool - Andrew McKenna and Ray Houghton (12.45pm commentary)
    Birmingham City v Swansea City - Geoff Peters
    Bolton Wanderers v Cardiff City - Simon Humphreys
    Huddersfield Town v Charlton Athletic - Dave Rowe
    Manchester City v Watford - Dom McGuinness
    Port Vale v Brighton & Hove Albion - Kev Lawrence (via phone)
    Rochdale v Sheffield Wednesday - Warren Haughton (via phone)
    Southampton v Yeovil Town - Tony Incenzo
    Southend United v Hull City - Ian Abrahams and Ray Parlour
    Sunderland v Kidderminster Harriers - Graham Courtney
    Wigan Athletic v Crystal Palace - Graham Beecroft
    Stevenage v Everton - Nigel Pearson and Michael Gray (5.30pm commentary), with Carl Ralley producing

Rugby Union: LV= Cup Pool Stage
    Harlequins v Leicester Tigers - Russell Hargreaves

Tomorrow's talkSPORT commentary teams will be Nigel Adderley and Alvin Martin at Sheffield United v Fulham and Ian Danter and Ray Parlour at Chelsea v Stoke City. So that's five live games, five different commentators, five different co-commentators and no Stan Collymore for a second consecutive FA Cup weekend.

Finally got the chance to listen to Andrew McKenna as a football commentator - I thought he did a good job and sounded as well suited to covering an FA Cup tie as he is covering to rugby union. Ray Houghton put in another strong co-commentary shift following on from the great job he did at Old Trafford on Wednesday night. Good to hear that talkSPORT have a presence at every single FA Cup tie this afternoon. Interesting to note that Adrian is studio-based for Matchday Live today, I don't think he's presented their Saturday afternoon football coverage from the studio since they opted to host the show from a ground on a regular basis early on last season.

talkSPORT Live

FA Cup Fourth Round
    AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool - Tom Rennie and Darren Eadie

BBC WM

Paul Franks presenting WM Sport from St Andrew's

FA Cup Fourth Round
    Birmingham City v Swansea City - Mark Regan and Paul Franks (3pm commentary on 95.6FM)

League One
    Notts County v Walsall - Rob Gurney
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City - Mike Taylor (3pm commentary on DAB in the Black Country)

Conference North
    Solihull Moors v Hednesford Town - Richard Wilford

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from St Andrew's

FA Cup Fourth Round
    Birmingham City v Swansea City - Tom Ross and Kevan Broadhurst (3pm commentary in Birmingham)

League One
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City - Chris Coles and Andy Thompson (3pm commentary in the Black Country and Shropshire)