Befriender / traveling companion.

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really want to travel abroad. I want to find a Befriender / traveling competition to accompany me on holidays. I can go with my support staff here but have to pay just over £1000 a week for wages alone without the holiday costings on top. I only want to go away for 28 days somewhere like Malta . How would I approach this? Obviously I could pay somebody minimum wage for 8 hours a day for the 28 days which would be considerable cheaper ( thinking around £1680 a a month? ) plus hotel costs on top. That would get social services off my back and more likely to agree to me going away. But they have to be really responsible not in the sense they will have to deal with anything untoward. I'm quite a responsible person myself. They have to be CRB checked and pay tax because it has to go through the books

You know if I went through the right channels does that sound like a reasonable proposition? What demographic would most likely accompany me on this holiday, I want a male closer to my age.... Do think this is a good idea?

Comments

• SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I was just going to reply to your other thread in Advice. Can the same friend who accompanied you to Whitby now accompany you to Malta?
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a flight to go to whitby never mind abroad because he has a LD too. My social worker and managers here were spitting feathers.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notices who OP is...

7wv6DFx.gif
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notices who OP is...

7wv6DFx.gif

I just knew what that gif would be :D

OP, you've posted a great deal about all this stuff before. Are you sure it's not just a way to try and wind people up by saying how much spare money you claim to have?

If you need a support worker to go abroad with, some random stranger isn't going to cut it, is it?
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Why don't you speak to your social worker first and ask them about using a travelling companion and see if they think its a good idea. However 28 days is a long time so they might not be that keen. Plus, I really didn't think Malta was that big that it would take 28 days to see it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the point in having money when you can't choose how to spend it.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the point in having money when you can't choose how to spend it.

Weren't you planning on going to India? Flying business class...
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Malta, am close in age to you, and would consider accompanying you OP, but sadly I'm the wrong sex. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Weren't you planning on going to India? Flying business class...

Yeah was very manic at the time.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 3 months ago you could't afford to pay back your catalogue debt, yet now you can afford to pay someone to accompany you on a 28 day holiday. Oh and also you were supposed to be going on a coach tour to Italy in September.

You're full of crap. I'm out.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah was very manic at the time.

Think you've answered your own question there
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - snipped -

But they have to be really responsible not in the sense they will have to deal with anything untoward. I'm quite a responsible person myself. They have to be CRB checked and pay tax because it has to go through the books

You know if I went through the right channels does that sound like a reasonable proposition? What demographic would most likely accompany me on this holiday, I want a male closer to my age.... Do think this is a good idea?

I don't know the ins and outs of your health problems phantom but I'd be inclined to stick with the "proper" channels re your support. There's plenty of con artists out there unfortunately and who's to say they would stick with you / cope if your health becomes problematic :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you've posted a great deal about all this stuff before. Are you sure it's not just a way to try and wind people up by saying how much spare money you claim to have?
    Ahh!

So you're the one who posted about this last time, I'm out.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Why go to Malta for 28 days? It's lovely but there's not a lot to see and do, especially in November. Are you not allowed to travel independently? Why do you need a companion if you are as responsible as you claim to be?
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I just knew what that gif would be :D

If you need a support worker to go abroad with, some random stranger isn't going to cut it, is it?

the very idea :o:o:o
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I like Malta, am close in age to you, and would consider accompanying you OP, but sadly I'm the wrong sex. :(

I wouldn't wish a holiday with the OP on my worse enemy, so if you think we'd let you galavant off with him to Malta you've got another thing coming young lady. >:( :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the all the negativity do you think this is a violative option ? I wipe my bottom on all the negative options here.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the all the negativity do you think this is a violative option ? I wipe my bottom on all the negative options here.

Whom are you thinking of violating?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whom are you thinking of violating?

ipad spell checker!