Should They Bring The 'Dance Off' Back?

miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
Forum Member
✭✭
I think they should.

Should The 'Dance Off' Return Next Year? 146 votes

Yes
45%
Seymour[Deleted User]thenetworkbabemiavivAlex482Serial LurkerCitrusJulie Jskp20040Moonbean[Deleted User]diyqueenicefallCABINETVientre[Deleted User]wildbenji64[Deleted User]fjifPaulge 67 votes
No
54%
*Laura*Muggsyleigh183CaptainSensibletobykimnewkid30TelcontarAlli-FForGodsSakeBLYPete Callanjill1812mindyannServalanCobblersScarlet O'Hara[Deleted User]Traffic1326CaroUKKez100 79 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    No
    No, absolutely not. I hated the judges favouring people who the public obviously didn't want in the competition. Not to mention getting to see some of the less interesting dances twice. So glad the dance off was skipped this series.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No, absolutely not. I hated the judges favouring people who the public obviously didn't want in the competition. Not to mention getting to see some of the less interesting dances twice. So glad the dance off was skipped this series.

Agree. All the dance off did was make sure the "comedy element/underdog" were saved by the public & the judges have the change to overturn public opinion to the detriment of the contestants.

Some couples will NEVER capture the public vote no matter how good they may be. So saving them in a dance off just prolongs their time in the contest when they have no chance whatsoever of winning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No.

We've had the best final (ability wise) in ages, there is no need to bring it back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it came back up to a certain point of the series, say until we had six couples left, then I would like to see it return. If the choice is to either have it all the way through or not at all, I would prefer not at all.
  • Options
    Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. We have had no more strange results this year than any other (I'd argue this years was better and more predictable). The only uncallable one was Jimi. With the dance offs we have had just as many, if not more strange decisions per series. Dance offs don't stop popular rubbish dancers surviving - they always have and always will.

If the public are paying to vote then they should get the ultimate choice. Dance Off RIP.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    NO NO NO.

Jimi's is the only eviction I felt a bit miffed about, but he was in the middleoftheleaderboard.

I'd say the overall order was correct and the public voted very wisely on the final three, and choosing the best overall dancer through the series.

After the judges inherent bias and beyond stupid marking especially on Pamela and Scott how can anyone seriously say that bringing the dance off back would be a good idea?!

We pays the money, we should make the choice.

As has been said saving unpopular contestants over and over who have no chance of winning is pointless and annoys the bloody hell out of me.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    No
    No, as much as I would have liked Tina to get longer in the competition we ended up with probably the right final 3... plus I've never forgiven the judges for keeping Snowdon in so long when she was obviously not popular enough to win it.
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Yes
    but lisa was actually a very good dancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    but lisa was actually a very good dancer.

Average at ballroom, her cha cha cha was the only Latin of hers I liked. I wasn't an Austin fan (in fact I was pretty meh about all of them that year) but I think he was better than Lisa and should have gone through instead of her (imo of course). It also annoyed me that week when Brendan said they'd done the minimum work on the Jive in order to perfect the waltz as it was their highest scoring dance that got performed in the dance off, then had a strop when their (cack) jive got 'low' marks (although I thought 33 was generous). Austin and Erin stated that they put equal hours into both dances.

If the dance of did get reinstated then I think they should do the lower scoring dance at the 2 dance stage... keeps everyone on their toes;)
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    No
    I echo the nays - and I hope it's never brought back.

Scrapping the dance off was the second best decision Moira Ross and co made this series. The best decision was of course not clashing with the X Factor; stopped people who watched both from having to make a choice and took away a lot of the press-led rivalry and point scoring, which I felt was an unwelcome distraction last year.
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    plus I've never forgiven the judges for keeping Snowdon in so long when she was obviously not popular enough to win it.

Same here.
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No I prefer the shock exits.
  • Options
    casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    Only thing they should do now is not pre-record the results show.

They should go back to results being on Saturday night or have a second 'live' results show on the Sunday.

As this series I knew every week who had gone before the results show aired; which really spoilt my enjoyment of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Yes....1 vote per judge and in the event of a tie they should refer back to the public vote(similar to the x-factor).....That said; once we are down to the final 5 or 6 couples then the dance off should be dropped and the elimination decided solely by the public vote.
    Love or loath the sing off in the x-factor and the judges vote....it does make for exciting TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    Yes....1 vote per judge and in the event of a tie they should refer back to the public vote(similar to the x-factor).....That said; once we are down to the final 5 or 6 couples then the the dance off should be dropped and the elimination decided solely by the public vote.

I could probably live with it if done like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    So difficult to decide. Without the dance-off, the Results Show is so tedious. But when there was the dance-off, Lisa Snowdon was saved, getting to the final. The final 3 this time, chosen by the public alone, were the most deserving, since Scott had gone seriously off the boil.
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    No
    Yes....1 vote per judge and in the event of a tie they should refer back to the public vote(similar to the x-factor).....That said; once we are down to the final 5 or 6 couples then the the dance off should be dropped and the elimination decided solely by the public vote.

And look at the mess it caused in this year's X-Factor. The judges have more than enough say in SCD with the over-marking of mediocre contestants. The only good thing about this year's show is that in the end the public decided who should actually stay and go.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    its a no for me too. The judges already get to try and keep in their favs with their scores at times...Len and Alisha especially mark higher for some of their favs. If the judges then got another vote at the end and then Len as head judge would mean that he gets 3 chances at a couple and the people on the phones just 1.

It should stay as it is. I agree that Jimy was a shock exit but it also helps to up the pros game as some are judges favs and they know they cant be saved in the danceoff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    pasodabble wrote: »
    I echo the nays - and I hope it's never brought back.

Scrapping the dance off was the second best decision Moira Ross and co made this series. The best decision was of course not clashing with the X Factor; stopped people who watched both from having to make a choice and took away a lot of the press-led rivalry and point scoring, which I felt was an unwelcome distraction last year.

Same here.

I just wish Strictly was on later. Why should Strictly be forced into an earlier slot by the dreadful X Factor? Why can't X Factor be on earlier?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    casa_nova wrote: »
    Only thing they should do now is not pre-record the results show.

They should go back to results being on Saturday night or have a second 'live' results show on the Sunday.

As this series I knew every week who had gone before the results show aired; which really spoilt my enjoyment of the series.

I totally agree with you. The magic was lost a little with the results show being pre-recorded this year.

I think it was right to split the results from the main though...because the length of the show was too long before...that said...make the results bit live to please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Yes
    *Laura* wrote: »
    And look at the mess it caused in this year's X-Factor. The judges have more than enough say in SCD with the over-marking of mediocre contestants. The only good thing about this year's show is that in the end the public decided who should actually stay and go.

Great TV though;)....The problem with the dance off on SCD was that Len was given too much power......I don`t think we ever saw a 3 to 1 vote against Len`s decision....but there were countless instances of Len`s deciding vote affecting the outcome.....In affect Len`s single vote=2 votes.....They should at least try the XF system....It would hopefully spice up the rather lack lustre results show.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Yes
    100% Yes to get the competition back to with what we know.:D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    No
    No more dance offs!!

If they bring it back, what's the point of the public vote? The judges may as well just do the whole thing!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think they shouldn't.
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    100% Yes to get the competition back to with what we know.:D

The dance off has only ever been part of 3 series of Strictly (only brought in series 5) so what we have now IS what we know from 5 series.