WTF is Gilligan's eye?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
Forum Member
✭✭
I hate that line - I cringe when I see Matt singing it

As if his sh!te voice and murgering this 'slightly better than Westlife song' isnt bad enough, but he just looks like a n0b singing nonsense

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I found this on the net ...
    I think it refers to that character of Willy Gilligan of "Gilligan's Island".

Not entirely certain on that, and have never read anything that counters it from the band.

Hope that helps, ive no idea tho
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Me too. Cringe. I think it might be reference to Gilligans Island where in one episode he found an eye and it gave him 3 wishes. It's annoying when Matt points to his eye as well. Yes we know, it's an eye!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Me too. Cringe. I think it might be reference to Gilligans Island where in one episode he found an eye and it gave him 3 wishes. It's annoying when Matt points to his eye as well. Yes we know, it's an eye!

haha thats exactly th thing, the point to the eye like 'you all know what I'm talking about'

Erm ,no we dont and I bet you dont either

Doosh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Yer Ma.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What does "Many of Horror" mean? That was the original title but I can see why When we Collide would make more sense as that line is repeated more often in the song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God knows - its all nonsense
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What does "Many of Horror" mean? That was the original title but I can see why When we Collide would make more sense as that line is repeated more often in the song.

My guess is that the original title wasnt all that Christmassy, having Horror in the title ...
  • Indigo_19Indigo_19 Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a silly song for an X Factor winner to sing, and Matt looks silly singing it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    It certainly doesnt sound like a typical XF winners song thats for sure.
    Forum Member
    Indigo_19 wrote: »
    Its a silly song for an X Factor winner to sing, and Matt looks silly singing it.

Does he look silly with his Xmas no 1 ... I dont think so !!
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Does he look silly with his Xmas no 1 ... I dont think so !!

How does that make the song any less silly? I mean I have to agree with Grimtales what excatly does Many of Horror actually bloody mean?

And this gilligan's eye business...:confused:

I mean forget who is singing the song. I am all for a good melody but jesus some writers can come out with some daft lyrics to make them self look self important.
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    How does that make the song any less silly? I mean I have to agree with Grimtales what excatly does Many of Horror actually bloody mean?

And this gilligan's eye business...:confused:

I mean forget who is singing the song. I am all for a good melody but jesus some writers can come out with some daft lyrics to make them self look self important.

Well remember that this was originally a Biffy Clyro song .... I never as a rule look too much into song lyrics and what they mean .. I think rhyming has a lot to do with it ... You could rip any song apart and find problems with the lyrics !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Well remember that this was originally a Biffy Clyro song .... I never as a rule look too much into song lyrics and what they mean .. I think rhyming has a lot to do with it ... You could rip any song apart and find problems with the lyrics !!

I miss the days when words were actually just made up to fit the rhyming scheme.
    Forum Member
    I miss the days when words were actually just made up to fit the rhyming scheme.

hah ....
    well in this day and age there has to be a word or term out there already ... like Gilligans eye !!

I spy
    Gilligans eye ..................
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    It's edgy, superior, credible lyrics don't you know!! Lyrics what are all deep and stuff.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    The band themselves have never explained the lyrics as far as I know, which is to be expected - most songwriters don't explain their lyrics, the whole point is to leave them open to interpretation, so they can be all like mysterious and arty and stuff. :D

But the best theory I've seen on what "Gilligans Eye" means is indeed a reference to the character Gilligan, because the character is described as having "an innate innocence of character that causes the others to forgive his mistakes" (from the wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan_%28Gilligan%27s_Island%29).

So having "Gilligan's Eye" may refer to the singer having an innocent look on his face and hoping for forgiveness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with most lyrics that people don't understand I believe they always refer to something sexual.

So in this case I would have to say Gilligan's eye is another substitute for either the female sexual organ or a #35 in the Kamasutra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilligans eye FFS
    As he changed the title and is always banging on about him not wanting to do covers, whyy didnt he change Gilligans Eye to something that actually MAKES SENSE
    Apple pie rhymes with it
    Crisp and Dry works
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonsfab wrote: »
    I hate that line - I cringe when I see Matt singing it

As if his sh!te voice and murgering this 'slightly better than Westlife song' isnt bad enough, but he just looks like a n0b singing nonsense

don't watch him then .. switch channels
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with most lyrics that people don't understand I believe they always refer to something sexual.

So in this case I would have to say Gilligan's eye is another substitute for either the female sexual organ or a #35 in the Kamasutra.

Or a Japs Eye

Why not just say Japs Eye

hahahahahhaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilligans eye FFS
    As he changed the title and is always banging on about him not wanting to do covers, whyy didnt he change Gilligans Eye to something that actually MAKES SENSE
    Apple pie rhymes with it
    Crisp and Dry works

LOL I have tears running down my face with this...:D:D:D
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Gilligans eye FFS
    Apple pie rhymes with it
    Crisp and Dry works

Absolutely! Personally I think apple pie is a great idea, then that verse could have been:

"Sitting in a wishing hole,
    Hoping it stays right.
    Feet cast in solid stone,
    I got my apple pie."

Much better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    don't watch him then .. switch channels

I cant - he's not on telly he's in my living room and wont LEAVE

Frizzy haired n0b
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilligans eye FFS
    Apple pie rhymes with it
    Crisp and Dry works

uhm ... you do know that Matt didn't actually change the title himself ... and if you're criticising the lyrics you should take your gripe up with Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro who wrote the song

So f you're looking for something to slag matt off about, he wasn't responsible for either of the above :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    uhm ... you do know that Matt didn't actually change the title himself ... and if you're criticising the lyrics you should take your gripe up with Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro who wrote the song

So f you're looking for something to slag matt off about, he wasn't responsible for either of the above :rolleyes:

Ooooooooooo la di dahh

pffttt :rolleyes: