Actor Robin Williams dead

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robin Williams was, quite simply, a genius. He could go from side splitting comedy to high drama in one scene. He was the master of making us laugh while conveying serious emotions at the same time.

He is a great loss to film and comedy, and will be missed.

"Oh captain, my captain" RIP
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I thought he was great in Good Will Hunting.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered, if that helps? He was one of those actors that just happened to be in films that I didn't watch. The only film I remember seeing him in was One Hour Photo, he was good in that but it wasn't a great film. And Night At the Museum

R.I.P anyway

At least we agree on something. It's sad for his family and friends, of course, but then every suicide from mental illness is equally sad and most people don't have Williams' resources to try and help combat it.

I watched 'Mork and Mindy' with my brother back in the day but I don't have fond memories of it at all. I really liked his role as the Genie in 'Aladdin' but that's about it. I found that a lot of his roles/films veered towards a sort of saccharin, syrupy, mawkish sentimentality that really isn't my cup of tea.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor sod. He suffered depression a long time. Loved him, so talented.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Poor sod. He suffered depression a long time. Loved him, so talented.

My thoughts exactly.
    In the end the disease killed him.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am still in shock, found out early this morning, R.I.P you funny man :(
    well said, a friend of mine killed themselves last year, i was upset but not once did i think "oh how selfish of them"

How awful and sad TardisSteve. I know someone who died this way too, It's awful to think that the torture this illness is was so unbearable, that the person you cared about couldn't take it for a moment longer. Also that they feel like they are a burden, which is a huge weight to bear.
    Not selfish at all, the furthest thing from selfish, just lonely, frightening and so sad.
    Poor Robin Williams and his family.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Nanu nanu
    R I P
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    First saw him in Mork and Mindy and followed him ever since. Birdcage was excellent and Good Will Hunting is one of my all time favourites.
    Perhaps one of the very few actors that was a true genius.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its about broadening the understanding of a condition where there can be a social stigma attached or at the least a confusion over what it is. Clinical depression is very different to feeling a bit depressed and it does not care if you are rich or poor, successful or not - it can strike anyone.

R.I.P. Robin.

It certainly can. Depression is something that can be truly overwhelming. You feel worthless and a burden to others; and you can be wealthy, sucessful, loved, etc; it is still no guarantee that depression won't strike. I've been there. I've had friends who've been there. It's not something to be taken lightly, nor sneered at, nor belittled by people who (a) know nothing about it and (b) can't be bothered to do a little research - just to ensure that you're not being insulting and crass about something thata affects a lot of people in all walks of life.

removed

People with depression don't generally talk about it. It's not like saying 'I'm depressed' or 'I'm sad'. Seriously, before you make such statements do a little research - or don't you believe in knowing what you're talking about before you open your mouth (or start typing)?
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I think the clue here in the content of your post-is the content of your post.

Precisely.

I am so, so sorry that Robin has gone and especially in this way. I could say more; but anything I express would be trite compared to the heartache his family and friends are suffering at the moment. Thank you, Mr Williams, for giving us so many amazing memories. RIP.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    First saw him in Mork and Mindy and followed him ever since. Birdcage was excellent and Good Will Hunting is one of my all time favourites.
    Perhaps one of the very few actors that was a true genius.

I can remember when he made his first appearance as Mork on Happy days before Mork and Mindy !!
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Really? Why? Unless you're a medical professional or personally affected by it, I don't see why one would bother researching obscure illnesses. Surely people have better things to do with their time?

It's hardly obscure. The constant equation of depression with "feeling blue" is a gross misunderstanding that leads to comments such as "what did he have to be depressed about, he had all the money in the world etc." Nobody would ever look at somebody suffering from cancer and say "hey, I threw up after a night out last weekend so why are you complaining about your chemo?"
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Aviller wrote: »
    It's hardly obscure. The constant equation of depression with "feeling blue" is a gross misunderstanding that leads to comments such as "what did he have to be depressed about, he had all the money in the world etc." Nobody would ever look at somebody suffering from cancer and say "hey, I threw up after a night out last weekend so why are you complaining about your chemo?"

Because there isn't a stigma in this country attached to having cancer like there is with mental illness
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a big thread in the showbiz section for this. Anyways RIP to Robin Williams depression isnt pleasant and clearly it got to much for him and wanted out. I hope hes in better place now. Always rememberh im in Mrs Doubtfire he acted out that character amazingly
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he flourished where the format made allowance for his particular style. if not the result could be a mismatch. but i dont think any of his films are turkeys. some are brilliant. even the poorer ones are worth watching .......

a genius, yes, but also highly manic. if youve ever seen him interviewed on tv chat shows ...... some of the raw energy that helped to fuel his genius was probably uppers and downers .....

but irreplacable. will be missed. rip.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad someone who gave happiness to so many couldn't find some for themselves, depression is awful.

I'm genuinely gutted, loved his films and he was a genius and will be missed. RIP.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Might be an off question but what did he have to be depressed about? I ask as a genuine question.
    Personally I can't believe people in the 21st century still ask these daft questions.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be an off question but what did he have to be depressed about? I ask as a genuine question.
    It's not like having a bad day or feeling down about something, depression is an illness and it's not something you choose to have or feel.

Doesn't matter if you're famous with lots of money, you can still suffer from depression.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chopan wrote: »
    RIP Robbie

Ahem...
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is still a lot of education needed about mental illness.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe he couldn't seize the day.

I doubt all those drugs and hyperactivity helped.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asphyxiation was mentioned in the first reports, aye aye we thought , it's the Michael Hutchence did-he-or-didn't-he-mean-to-while-having-a-quick-one-off-the-wrist scenario ?
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had been suffering from serious depression for sometime and it appears he finally succumbed to its influence.

I remember watching him as far back the early seventies in Mork and Mindy; one of my favourite shows from that period, but like its counterpart, Happy Days, it stayed too long and by the fourth series, when the titular characters married, it had finally (ironically, it might appear) "Jumped the Shark." It was Williams's refreshingly different comedic style that was to propel him into his career, filled with reverence and respect for his art.

My favourite of his movies were Mrs Doubtfire, The Birdcage, Jumanji and Good Morning Vietnam, but most of all was his portrayal of Andrew, the eternal android, in Bicentennial Man, based on Isaac Asimov's "The Positronic Man." Oddly enough I didn't like the book very much at all, but when I saw the movie, Williams's performance, coupled with Chris Colombus's direction, made me see the story in a different light. A very large proportion of Williams's career was partnered with Colombus's and I think both of their careers benefited from their collaboration.

We will miss him dearly.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. :(

Tears of the clown.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Williams will be sadly missed, can't say I was a fan of all his movies, preferred his more serious/darker roles. Garp, Vietnam, Insomnia spring to mind.
    An excellent stand-up comic too R.I.P.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    It certainly can. Depression is something that can be truly overwhelming. You feel worthless and a burden to others; and you can be wealthy, sucessful, loved, etc; it is still no guarantee that depression won't strike. I've been there. I've had friends who've been there. It's not something to be taken lightly, nor sneered at, nor belittled by people who (a) know nothing about it and (b) can't be bothered to do a little research - just to ensure that you're not being insulting and crass about something thata affects a lot of people in all walks of life.

People with depression don't generally talk about it. It's not like saying 'I'm depressed' or 'I'm sad'. Seriously, before you make such statements do a little research - or don't you believe in knowing what you're talking about before you open your mouth (or start typing)?

Precisely.

I am so, so sorry that Robin has gone and especially in this way. I could say more; but anything I express would be trite compared to the heartache his family and friends are suffering at the moment. Thank you, Mr Williams, for giving us so many amazing memories. RIP.

Well said.