Options

Well done Scotland. Now for England to reduce drink drive limit.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    At 20-40 mg/ml most people aren't even aware that they've consumed alcohol. If you set the limit so low then it would lead to a lot of being being unintentionally breaking the law due to something they've eaten.

Is there any evidence that driving at 40 mg/ml is so dangerous that it deserves a 12 month ban?

People need to be educated more on the effects of alcohol and how long it stay in your body, and how long on a average it is before you are under the limit after drinking, Most people think they are safe to drive, and forget that alcohol does have a effect on your judgement "For example, you shouldn't drive for 13 hours if you have had three 250ml glasses of 15%-strength wine or four pints of strong lager.

"Motorists must begin educating themselves on the relative strengths and effects of what they drink and people should only drive their vehicles in the morning if they are absolutely sure they are safe."
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    People need to be educated more on the effects of alcohol and how long it stay in your body, and how long on a average it is before you are under the limit after drinking, Most people think they are safe to drive, and forget that alcohol does have a effect on your judgement "For example, you shouldn't drive for 13 hours if you have had three 250ml glasses of 15%-strength wine or four pints of strong lager.

"Motorists must begin educating themselves on the relative strengths and effects of what they drink and people should only drive their vehicles in the morning if they are absolutely sure they are safe."

Same question as before: why?

You seem to be fixating on arbitrarily making laws for the sake of it and insisting people take responsibility for adhering to them rather than even considering whether such a law is required at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Same question as before: why?

You seem to be fixating on arbitrarily making laws for the sake of it and insisting people take responsibility for adhering to them rather than even considering whether such a law is required at all.

Why were drink driving laws made in the first place, and remember drink driving laws are world wide, Proven fact alcohol does have a effect on your judgement, and your ability to do things, Your judgement of speed, distance and other factors is changed by alcohol, which means you are more of a risk to other members of the public
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Why were drink driving laws made in the first place, and remember drink driving laws are world wide, Proven fact alcohol does have a effect on your judgement, and your ability to do things, Your judgement of speed, distance and other factors is changed by alcohol, which means you are more of a risk to other members of the public

That's a very good question.

Drink driving laws were created to deter people from driving while they're in an unsafe condition.

On that basis, you need to present evidence to demonstrate that a person with, say, 10mg/l or 20mg/l IS actually unsafe if you want to justify lowering the limit to that level.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just leave the limits as they are and fk what Scotland does - UK s record for road safety is already amongst the worlds best .The vast majority of people are quite capable of being sensible- dont need yet more interfering legislation .People whine about the nanny state yet seem to want one -
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Just leave the limits as they are and fk what Scotland does - UK s record for road safety is already amongst the worlds best .The vast majority of people are quite capable of being sensible- dont need yet more interfering legislation .People whine about the nanny state yet seem to want one -

England and Wales as well as Malta are now the only countries in Europe with 80mg, the rest have gone down to 50mg

I dont think the problem will lie with those having a drink after work etc, its simple jut dont drink and drive. The problem will more likely be those that have a few drinks the night before then drive to work at say 7am. How much is too much the night before??
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Tough luck if you don't like it. When you put people's lives at risk there is no excuse. There is never a valid excuse for someone taking a drink then sitting behind the wheel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »

I disagree, sensible people DONT drink and drive, On average, Thames Valley Police catches 250 people each month for drink driving.
    So far this year the number of people caught for drink-driving has increased by 14 per cent.
    Out of the 2,095 persons caught drink driving, 16 per cent were women and 84 per cent were men.

Statistics

So far this year (January 2014-October 2014):

One in three people tested had alcohol in their system.
    20 per cent of those caught drink-driving were under the age of 25.
    12 per cent of people tested after a road traffic collision failed the breath test.
    There has been a seven per cent increase in women caught drink-driving.
    There has been a six per cent drop in men caught drink-driving.
    27,109 people have been breath tested so far this year in Thames Valley.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Eating a huge pizza followed by a pie, chips, 2 pot noodles and a gallon of Coke will do no harm to anyone else. Having a couple of pints then driving COULD. Your analogy is pointless.

You're even not thinking through your own attempt at argument. For starters the food would make you sleepy, which could easily lead to an accident.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Do you condone drink driving?

I do not approve of drivers breaking the law.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were disqualified in Scotland because you were above the Scottish limit but under the rUK limit, would that ban apply to Scotland only?
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Gotta say, although I'm all for a basic "don't drink if you're driving" attitude, I'm finding the prevailing mentality with regard to the new law, up here, to be rather obtuse and patronising.

There current D&D advertising campaign is along the lines of "How much can you drink before driving? The best answer is 'nothing' if you want to be safe".

Well, that's commendable but it'd it'd be nice if the sentiment was supported by some proper, factual, information as well, so that people can make an informed decision.

I do worry that there's something of a patronising, puritanical, "your government knows best so just do what we say", attitude at work in Scottish politics these days.

Doesn't help you though if the guy in the oncoming car has a skinful.
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rediculous law. There is NOTHING wrong with having a pint or glass of wine after work or with a meal and then going behind the wheel. Unless you are seriously not used to drinking you will be able to fully and safely control your car.

I like to go to my mums, enjoy a sunday roast with a glass of wine and then drive home, fully in control of my car, wheres the harm in that. This new law doesnt prevent the people wjo drive after a night out or stop those who regularly drink well beyond the limit but just scares normal people from enjoying a beverage in social occasions.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    Rediculous law. There is NOTHING wrong with having a pint or glass of wine after work or with a meal and then going behind the wheel. Unless you are seriously not used to drinking you will be able to fully and safely control your car.

I like to go to my mums, enjoy a sunday roast with a glass of wine and then drive home, fully in control of my car, wheres the harm in that. This new law doesnt prevent the people wjo drive after a night out or stop those who regularly drink well beyond the limit but just scares normal people from enjoying a beverage in social occasions.

And that is the problem.

People who were under the old limit who are perfectly safe to drive will not find themselves facinhg a potential ban and loss of livelyhood. But the hardcore who drive at considerably over the old limit will pay no attention to the lower limit.

I have a problem with the whole Christmas D&D campaign anyway. Statistically more people are involved in accidents when over the limit in august than in December, so where is the august campainn? That would be far more effective.

It is the same with the high profile stopping of drivers along main roads, it's all PR athough not a very popular one as it wastes peoples time as they are trying to get home or to work. If I wanted to I could drive to a pub three miles from me, drink six pints and drive home again and the chances of being stopped would be virtually zero. I could do this because the drive would be along country lanes and the police never set up their high profile stop everything that moves along country lanes.

I wouldn't do it because I value my license too much and it would be illegal, but it would be easy to do and I am sure plenty do.