Backwards Compatibility coming to Xbox One.

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I personally think this is great news. One thing i want to know is will 360 games on a disc also work ? i got a bit too excited by the news and missed some of the details :p

Comments

• Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Can be played from disc or d/l.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member
    Only certain titles at first, it'll be up to the individual devs to allow it.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there all download they dont play from the disc. inserting the disc will confirm you have the game and begin the download
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    From reading on the preview forum it sounds like it's an Xbox 360 emulation app that the game runs in.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Can be played from disc or d/l.

Ah right, that's even better then. Most of my 360 games are on disc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wash wrote: »
    Only certain titles at first, it'll be up to the individual devs to allow it.

Hopefully the devs don't say no to certain games. I would be a bit annoyed if only a certain amount of games were supported.
    there all download they dont play from the disc. inserting the disc will confirm you have the game and begin the download

So we can just put the 360 disc in the Xbox One, it will confirm that we own the game and then it will download the game ? Hmm, i don't know if it will be as straight forward as that. People will just sell their Xbox 360's games once they have downloaded it onto the Xbox One. Then everybody will just go and buy a bunch of 360's games for cheap on Ebay, put them on their Xbox One consoles and then sell the games again.

I hope this is how it works because that will save me a lot of money but i'm not so sure it will be as straight forward as this. :p
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant move!
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    List of supported games:

Banjo Kazooie: N n B
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    BattleBlock Theater
    Defense Grid
    Geometry Wars Evolved
    Hexic HD
    Jetpac Refuelled
    Kameo
    Mass Effect
    Perfect Dark
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Small Arms
    Super Meat Boy
    Toy Soldiers
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    Viva Piñata
    Viva Piñata: TIP
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No GTA, No fable, No Fifa.

Not interested thanks. But at least it gives some hope for the future?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    No GTA, No fable, No Fifa.

Not interested thanks. But at least it gives some hope for the future?

The list is just what you can play right now in the preview. The service doesn't launch til later in the year with 100 titles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    The list is just what you can play right now in the preview. The service doesn't launch til later in the year with 100 titles.

And i'll add that they said there is more to come too :)
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    List of supported games:

Banjo Kazooie: N n B
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    BattleBlock Theater
    Defense Grid
    Geometry Wars Evolved
    Hexic HD
    Jetpac Refuelled
    Kameo
    Mass Effect
    Perfect Dark
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Small Arms
    Super Meat Boy
    Toy Soldiers
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    Viva Piñata
    Viva Piñata: TIP

Ah so XBLA games are included. I couldn't see anything that confirmed that. Good news!
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just switched on my x1 and I have 7 games to install. Kieflings, banjo arcade x2, perfect dark, viva piñata, defense grid and battleblock theater:D

Its about time that one license ruled them all for windows products. You buy halo 5 and you can play it on any windows device, spec allowing. X1, pc, tablet, laptop etc. A good way to kill steam and sony at once if you ask me.

Defo going to need an update to the dashboard regarding pins, too many games now.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I hope Red Dead Redemption makes the cut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »
    I have just switched on my x1 and I have 7 games to install. Kieflings, banjo arcade x2, perfect dark, viva piñata, defense grid and battleblock theater:D

Its about time that one license ruled them all for windows products. You buy halo 5 and you can play it on any windows device, spec allowing. X1, pc, tablet, laptop etc. A good way to kill steam and sony at once if you ask me.

Defo going to need an update to the dashboard regarding pins, too many games now.

hmmm I own a couple of those games but I don't see anything waiting to download. Better check that I got the preview update.

Edit - It's found them now.

I hope people (unlike myself) have been adding the free 360 games with gold to their accounts as I suspect most of them will work. Wish I was adding them each month now.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I initially was impressed to hear this news however then I realised that there would really be no point in playing an Xbox 360 game on my Xbox One, unless I also had the 360 game save.

Playing my 360 games would be cool, however, starting those games from scratch is certainly NOT cool!!!

:S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Hmm, I initially was impressed to hear this news however then I realised that there would really be no point in playing an Xbox 360 game on my Xbox One, unless I also had the 360 game save.

Playing my 360 games would be cool, however, starting those games from scratch is certainly NOT cool!!!

:S

True, but what about some games you may have missed first time round. Now you will be able to pick up a cheap copy from CEX and play it on your X1 if you no longer have a 360.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, who played PS3, I'm happy about this. Means I can play old games that I missed first time around.

Although this is sounding more like a virtual console rather than true backward compatibility.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »

Sorry, to find them when you go into your games, scroll to the right, and they are under games recommended to download, you have to choose them your self.

I gave about 40-50 x360 games to my nephew at xmas, wish I kept them now:D. If I had them on disc I tended not to get the free digi copy with gwg.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

It supports the Xbox 360 Cloud Storage feature so you can save up to 512MB of saves in the cloud and have them sync between your Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

www.xbox.com/cloudstorage

i.e. you can keep existing saves!
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what's worth getting for the 360 ?
    Forum Member
    The one part of this I'm not sure on is if you need to keep the disc in the console for the games you own a physical copy of? From what I can see you just put the disc in to prove you own the game and then it will start to download the game but I don't see anywhere that said the disc must remain in the console afterwards.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The one part of this I'm not sure on is if you need to keep the disc in the console for the games you own a physical copy of? From what I can see you just put the disc in to prove you own the game and then it will start to download the game but I don't see anywhere that said the disc must remain in the console afterwards.

I'd assume it will be the same as disc versions of Xbox One games where you till have to insert the disc when playing a game even though it's downloaded to the console.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it then realised I'm not in the preview, didn't realise I had to be a special member. Ah well I'll have to wait to play Viva Pinata again.
    Forum Member
    I'd assume it will be the same as disc versions of Xbox One games where you till have to insert the disc when playing a game even though it's downloaded to the console.

Yep I had a dig around and managed to find out you do still require the disc.