Looks like Sunday trading laws are to be relaxed.

1789101113»

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week the Mayor of Cambridge said he is not looking for extended hours.
    Think the charm of his city on a summers Sunday for a tourist is walking around old colleges, shops open 11am, close 5pm, and time afterwards to by the river, or attend evening church service.
    In reality, what would longer hours mean? City shops trading another three hours and the out of town supermarkets running 24/7, and Osbournes rich chums making more money while they play a game of Golf.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    No that has long gone. When it was double time for working Sundays then it was worth it. As a teenager I did Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays for a year and it was almost like earning a full weeks wage.

I work in a supermarket over the weekend as they are my contracted hours. I get time and a half on Sunday, which is rare these days.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the biggest issues when it comes to discussing Sunday trading laws. People look at it from a selfish POV. It's not about you, it's about the retailers.

No oter industry is discussion from a selfish POV. Why only retail, I don't know.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I was in a Screwfix yesterday and was amazed to see it's now open 24 hours - apart from Sunday, of course.

It's long overdue that these silly Sunday restrictions were consigned to history, just like TV channels closing down in the afternoon or the corn laws.

A few years ago, my local Lidl was open 9am-8pm. Now it's open 8am-10pm and there's a higher rotation of staff as a result. Individuals don't work longer hours - that would be illegal under EU law.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the charm of his city on a summers Sunday for a tourist is walking around old colleges, shops open 11am, close 5pm, and time afterwards to by the river, or attend evening church service.
    All it will take is for one local authority to allow 24/7 shopping, encouraging business to open longer with incentives (such as temporary cessation or reductions in business rates in return for Sunday opening) and advertising that to people inside and outside the local authority. Once one does it, the rest will follow. Same with supermarkets, once there is a perceived assumption that people will shop 24/7 on a Sunday, supermarkets will open 24/7, even if people don't use that service, but don't dare cut opening hours down down the line because people will let you know of their disagreement in no uncertain terms on social media. Then the pressure from the public for other businesses and public services who don't currently operate on a Sunday or even on a weekend to operate will occur.

The same problems still exist - the public do not have in possession hidden magic money trees which will suddenly add many millions or billions to the economy and businesses still have the pressure of maximising revenue whilst minimising expenditure - which will be staff costs in this case.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, my local Lidl was open 9am-8pm. Now it's open 8am-10pm and there's a higher rotation of staff as a result. Individuals don't work longer hours - that would be illegal under EU law.
    Do be aware that by the time the liberation of Sunday trading occurs, we may have already had the EU referendum result - if it is an out vote, we'll be on the way to abolishing the UK's requirement to implement the Working Time Directive with no prospect for the UK to implement its own maximum hours law.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in favour of longer Sunday hours as long as it creates more jobs rather than just putting more pressure on existing staff to work more Sundays.

The unions must be involved in this consultation period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I'm in favour of longer Sunday hours as long as it creates more jobs rather than just putting more pressure on existing staff to work more Sundays.

The unions must be involved in this consultation period.

Is there any more pressure to work on a Sunday to working a Monday, Thursday or Saturday?

Maybe some people would like to work on a Sunday, maybe people who work on a Sunday enjoy it, maybe people who work on a Sunday don't mind.

Many people in many industries and jobs work on a Sunday. There's a lot of students that work in retail on the weekends, pretty sure a lot of them wouldn't mind an extra hour or two.

Why do you not care about those that work on a Saturday, Tuesday or Monday? Why are you only concerned' about those who work, or may work, on a Sunday? Why only bothered about retail, too and not all the other industries on a Sunday? You're not bothered about any other Sunday workers, are you?
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Why only bothered about retail, too and not all the other industries on a Sunday? You're not bothered about any other Sunday workers, are you?

Yes. But we are talking about retail workers here. I'm concerned that people who currently do six hours on a Sunday might be required to do eight, or ten or more. Or that people who currently do one Sunday in three might have to do every other one or even two out of three.

If this can be done without either of those things happening then great. If not then the least worst option is probably to leave things as they are.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. But we are talking about retail workers here. I'm concerned that people who currently do six hours on a Sunday might be required to do eight, or ten or more. Or that people who currently do one Sunday in three might have to do every other one or even two out of three.

If this can be done without either of those things happening then great. If not then the least worst option is probably to leave things as they are.

I would imagine those that work Sunday's maybe glad of the extra hours...otherwise they could opt out of working on Sunday's, something which they don't have to do anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Again, why are you taking it as a negative? Some people may welcome the extra hours/days.

A lot of contracts in retail are 0,4 or 8 hours, these people are likely to welcome any extra hours. Their aren't many full time retail positions available any more - unless it's a managers job. There was even a thread about it on here a couple of weeks ago. It was titled 'The rise of the part time retail jobs'. I'd search and link it, but we all know the search doesn't work.

Apart from that, the current law doesn't restrict retail workers' working hours on a Sunday. It restricts trading hours of shops over 280m².
    Forum Member
    we are talking about retail workers here. I'm concerned that people who currently do six hours on a Sunday might be required to do eight, or ten or more. Or that people who currently do one Sunday in three might have to do every other one or even two out of three.

Given that your fear is what the law might say about Sunday trading, you clearly respect and have faith in the law. What does the law say about the hours retail workers do? Does it offer them no protection from being sent up chimneys by Tesco for 36-hour shifts, eight days per week?
    Do be aware that by the time the liberation of Sunday trading occurs, we may have already had the EU referendum result - if it is an out vote, we'll be on the way to abolishing the UK's requirement to implement the Working Time Directive with no prospect for the UK to implement its own maximum hours law.

Out of interest, were there any laws in the UK governing such matters before they were repealed and replaced by the EU Working Time Directive in 1993? Is it currently possible to opt out of the EU Working Time Directive in the UK, and work longer hours? If so, are there any sources for proof that Tesco or Aldi coerce their employees into doing this?
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Brighton today it was a gorgeous day spent time on the beach and pier etc but I wanted to go to the shops too but as they closed at 5pm we felt rushed. I'm sure a lot of other people would also of gone to the shops after the beach today if they were still open a perfect opportunity for later opening on a Sunday. It would really benefit somewhere like that.

It was packed,the shops and City centre were heaving but the shops were closing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality, what would longer hours mean? City shops trading another three hours and the out of town supermarkets running 24/7, and Osbournes rich chums making more money while they play a game of Golf.

Well he obviously doesn't have a clue it's one of the busiest places for tourism with many international visitors if he wants to turn away business more fool him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    I was in Brighton today it was a gorgeous day spent time on the beach and pier etc but I wanted to go to the shops too but as they closed at 5pm we felt rushed. I'm sure a lot of other people would also of gone to the shops after the beach today if they were still open a perfect opportunity for later opening on a Sunday.

It was packed,the shops and City centre were heaving but the shops were closing.

What a me me me attitude, the trading laws have existed like this in England for a long time now, so you know what time shops shut...if it was that urgent for you to do your shopping perhaps you should have done it before the beach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    What a me me me attitude, the trading laws have existed like this in England for a long time now, so you know what time shops shut...if it was that urgent for you to do your shopping perhaps you should have done it before the beach.

Hardly a me me attitude if I was the only person who wanted the shops to open later and the law changed but I'm not there as many for the change of law as there are against.

Funny that same arguement is always brought out that those for the change of law should organise our lives better.

Yes of course I knew when the shops closed but I was only in Brighton for the afternoon and wanted to pack in as much as possible not that I shoukd need to explain
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    the trading laws have existed like this in England for a long time now, so you know what time shops shut...

Yes, and sex before marriage should be banned, children sent up chimneys to earn their keep and stop both women and surfs voting, I say!

And bring back the trilby and neck ties for young men, all of whom should be made to go to church on Sunday morning!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Longer hours will not make any differance as far as i can see,

well that's simply your opinion which varies from mine to which i have good reason to believe is more reliable than yours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why are you concerned? shouldn't people be allowed to make up their own decisions for themselves?

what's the problem with people working an 8 hour day like many normal people do on a regular basis?

people can choose the jobs they want to apply for, and choose as to whether they accept or not the jobs they are offered. they can also choose to leave a job if they don't like it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    This is one of the biggest issues when it comes to discussing Sunday trading laws. People look at it from a selfish POV. It's not about you, it's about the retailers.

No oter industry is discussion from a selfish POV. Why only retail, I don't know.

it's pretty common on this forum that people only think and make decisions based on their own lives and ignore everyone else

there's nearly 65 million people in this country. not everyone is on the dole or a millionaire. there's many people between those two things
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Hardly a me me attitude if I was the only person who wanted the shops to open later and the law changed but I'm not there as many for the change of law as there are against.

Funny that same arguement is always brought out that those for the change of law should organise our lives better.

Yes of course I knew when the shops closed but I was only in Brighton for the afternoon and wanted to pack in as much as possible not that I shoukd need to explain

So why moan about it then as you clearly know what time the shops closed...the law is been looked at and is likely to change in the future so you are going to get what you want.

Besides what would you do if the laws changed and the shops still decided to close at 5pm, but opened earlier? the laws may change but it doesn't mean the shops will shut later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and sex before marriage should be banned, children sent up chimneys to earn their keep and stop both women and surfs voting, I say!

And bring back the trilby and neck ties for young men, all of whom should be made to go to church on Sunday morning!

Those laws don't apply though...you know about the Sunday trading laws, but they are going to be looked and probably will be changed...so what are you going on about.