I bet there's millions of us not ready for Digital switchover

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
Now, Im quite media/techincally-savvy but I bet many of us are not ready for swtichover. How many people have a TV set in their bedrooms that arent digital? Or portable TVs in their caravans? Or handheld tvs?

I have one satellite dish, one big TV in the lounge with Sky. But...I also have 6 TVs around the house which are non-digital. I wouldnt have the foggiest about if its possible to connect these to the satellite dish.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got built in freeview on main tv, not bothered about a box yet for tv in bedroom, only watch dvds or play on console.
    It's not just getting the digi box for some people, they have to upgrade aerial as well for a decent picture, done my way can have problems getting channel 5, not that I miss it.
    Don't know what it will be like signal wise when full switchover is complete, as at the mo picture can be tempermental on some channels, apparently the signal in my area can't be boosted as it pisses off the French across the water:D
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Not me, I've been ready for switchover for years. Can't wait til 2012.
  • KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your sky box probably has 2 rf out sockets, so may be able to get a cable to connect it to your TV, although this means having cables trailing about the place. This means you would have to watch the same Sky channel on both sets. You could also sign up to Sky Multiroom for the extra TV's but this is an extra £10 a month. There are wireless signal senders available but I've never used these so can't comment on how useful they are.

Otherwise, you could look at getting Freeview boxes for the portables. Not as many channels but it's better than nothing.

Our switchover isn't until 2012 but I still watch terrestrial a lot, it'll take getting used to.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I don't have any facility for recieving analogue Tv, nor have had for about 5 years. My 'TV' is a 50" monitor, I have DTT and satellite. Not quite fair as it's my business, but in fact I hardly ever go to any client who has no digital TV, and as most of them have sky, they have RF distribution around the house, so can watch digital TV on any TV in the house.
  • Dead SetDead Set Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignorance has never been an excuse for anyone in anything ever.

In this case it's absolutely inexcusable. It's been plugged for YEARS on TV.

Really what more can anyone actually do for people? Break into their homes and force an upgrade?

A Freeview box is now free with a box of cornflakes so why is it that people are still having problems? Do they like rubbish pictures with ghosting?

I bet there will actually be people screaming blue murder on the day they pull the analogue plug and queueing up in front of TV news cameras to say "Oh well they never told us anything about it." And "Oh I don't understand all that stuff, I want to remain ignorant and never educate myself in even the most simplest things. That way I get people to do everything for me whilst I sit back"

There is no acceptable excuse for this at all.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most modern TV's are coompatible for the digital switchover...it just means buying more boxes for analogue only models.
  • Dave 8o]Dave 8o] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm ready for the switch over, personally it can't come soon enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people had to do without tv they would still survive.
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who refuse to switch over must be punished by loss of TV service.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Dead Set wrote: »
    A Freeview box is now free with a box of cornflakes so why is it that people are still having problems? Do they like rubbish pictures with ghosting?

No freeview coverage in my area
  • bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    Those who refuse to switch over must be punished by loss of TV service.

Correction:

Those who refuse to switch over WILL be punished by loss of TV service :D

And rightly so.

The only people who have the excuse not to have switched are the mentally ill who probably have no idea of such things.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Not me, I've been ready for switchover for years. Can't wait til 2012.

we switch in feb 09:P

got a box for the old tv. nice and clear, and many more channels.

analog is the pits
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know WHAT I have to do to be ready, never mind having done it. I don't understand what any of it means :o
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    The problem is that the campaign to make people aware of the digital switchover has been shocking. The amount of people I have had tell me that they think it is disgusting that they are being forced into buying a 'digital tv' is disgusting. Most of these people had digital cable, digital satellite or freeview - so were already digital ready! People just don't understand and the organisation promoting the switchover should have been ditched years ago.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    No freeview coverage in my area

Once analogue is switched off you will probably be able to receive Freeview, as the signal will be much stronger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know WHAT I have to do to be ready, never mind having done it. I don't understand what any of it means :o

In most cases you need to do very little.

If you are presently in an area that gets digital, just carry on as normal but with a digital box on each of your telly's (cost about £20 each from any of the lagre super markets).

If you are in an area that presently does not get digital, get a digital box for each TV nearer the time (they will probably be about £5 by then) and get ready to connect when the time comes.

People who are off a main transmitter (and probably getting freeview already) will get the full range of freeview channels,

People who presently dont get it are probably receiving from a relay transmitter and are likely to only get a limited range of freeview after switchover. (Still about 30 or 40 channels but not the 80 or so that main transmitters will show).

A small number of people will want to switch from relay transmitter to main transmitter to get the full range of channels, these people will probably need a new aerial.
    Forum Member

if its anything like ours its just a digital reciever box you attach to old tvs. works sorta like a cable box. for us it resizes any hd streams to sd as well for old tvs. but according to wiki i guess freeview is strange in ur country. we don't have a single company controlling digital tv. just different networks licensing spectrum from the government and they've been putting out hd broadcasts for years now beside their analog broadcasts. so no pay broadcast service is possible in the us, its all free.

new tvs all have digital receivers.

digital is always perfectly clear if you get enough signal.
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got SKY running in my bedroom and living room, but my daughter has to rely on an aerial which isn't great at the best of times. I bought a freeview box for her but it doesn't work and Argos wouldn't let me return it. So short of putting SKY in my daughters bedroom, (which I don't want to do - she needs to get a job first and earn it!) what can I do? Call out for an engineer and get some sort of special aerial installed?? I dread to think how much that would cost....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    I've got SKY running in my bedroom and living room, but my daughter has to rely on an aerial which isn't great at the best of times. I bought a freeview box for her but it doesn't work and Argos wouldn't let me return it. So short of putting SKY in my daughters bedroom, (which I don't want to do - she needs to get a job first and earn it!) what can I do? Call out for an engineer and get some sort of special aerial installed?? I dread to think how much that would cost....

see post 17
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget, your VCR may not be compatible either.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now, Im quite media/techincally-savvy but I bet many of us are not ready for switchover.

I'm fairly media-savvy but I really don't understand what's being switched over. All the main channels are already available on digital TV (and radio) - what else is going to be switched over?
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've been ready for the switch over for ages now. One tv has built in freeview, we got two PVRs for two tvs, Sky HD for the main tv and one bedroom has a computer with a built in DTV tuner.

For people unsure, its extremely simple to turn digital, just buy a £15 digital freeview box from argos and connect it to the scart on the back of your TV and away you go.

OK some areas are still not getting good reception, like my friends have a caravan not too far from us and they do not get digital yet, but once the switch over happens the signal will be boosted much higher and everywhere will be able to get it so don't worry about that either.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the digital switchover just refer to TV? I have Sky and have freeview boxes upstairs, so my TVs are sorted, but if the Radio signal goes over to digital too, im gonna be most annoyed, I always have my radio on,and im not buying a digital one cause this is a bad signal area for them and they pick up naff all.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am ready, not that I am looking forward to it, I prefer analogue. My plasma have digital built in, I also got the TUTV PVR.

My old 26inch CRT is upstairs not being used, when I change things around I will put it so I can use it, not sure how often I will, I have got a Thomson DHD4000 PVr, which I may put on it or I may put the TUTV on that one and the Thomson down here. I have also got a old Grundig set top box, which I may use.
    My DVd recorder which have a built in hard drive have a analogue tuner and I use that for the 5 main channels, because the quality is better.

My parents are ready, they got a set top box, but want to get a flat screen at sme point so they don't have a box under the T.v, they don't bother recording

I know three households that don't have any digital T.V. One is going to wait until 2011 which is when we change. I expect she is waiting to get free stuff as she is a OAP, but as she have lots of money, I think it is a disgrace that she is waiting to see what she can get for free.

Another household is not going to bother, they have a very old Baird T.V, which I doubt will be working by the time we change over and they have both said that when the T.v goes, they wil not bother with another one as they only watch a little bit now.

The last household is just not interested and looking in a T.V mag don't think it is worth bothering with until they have to and then they might just forget about T.V

All of my close family have got digital T.V, either by Sky or Freeview.

Myself I think digital T.v is not all it is cracked up to be and I think it is wrong that people are being forced into this.
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I'm fairly media-savvy but I really don't understand what's being switched over. All the main channels are already available on digital TV (and radio) - what else is going to be switched over?

double broadcasting will stop. analog held over during transition period go bye bye. granny turns on telly...and sees snow