Films that you began to watch but gave up on

Comments

• Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Oh thank you! My friend had wanted to see that but we never quite managed it and I felt a little guilty...Now I don't! :D

I started watching War Horse and gave up. Sentimentalised and cloying, and the acting was appalling. Yet the play was marvellous and the very opposite of the film

We felt like giving up on this one too, but ploughed on... wondering how Spielberg could lose it so much ... and the animals were better actors than the humans! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terminator: Salvation. I think I made it to the first line, then I realised it would be a shitty waste of ime

I enjoyed Terminator Salvation :o

Admittedly, not as good as T1 or T2 but nothing could beat them anyway :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Terminator Salvation :o

Admittedly, not as good as T1 or T2 but nothing could beat them anyway :p

I won't begrudge you that, the trailers made it look interesting, and I wanted to watch it. But I reached the first line and knew it wasn't for me, so I didn't continue. Perhaps, I was unfair to it, but it doesn't exactly sound like I missed much...
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I must be a rarity then as I never give up on films no matter how bad they are as I even sat through the whole of Piranha 3DD!

I guess I don't think I can truely judge a film unless Ive seen all of it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I must be a rarity then as I never give up on films no matter how bad they are as I even sat through the whole of Piranha 3DD!

I guess I don't think I can truely judge a film unless Ive seen all of it!

I think everyone working on Piranha 3DD knew it was terrible. Apparently even the Hoff thought it was "the worst movie ever", which was apparently why he liked it
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Country for Old Men is a great cure for insomia
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Country for Old Men is a great cure for insomnia
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blade Runner, I've heard such good things about it but I couldn't sit through it, turned it off halfway through
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blade Runner, I've heard such good things about it but I couldn't sit through it, turned it off halfway through

Seriously?!

Well, if sci fis not your thing...
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Harry Palmer films from the 60s, tried watching a couple of them "The Ipcress File" was one, could not sit through them at all.

Found them terribly boring.
  • snorksnork Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only two films I've never seen to completion are

The Tree of Life - Pretentious bollocks

Zociac - Goes nowhere bollocks
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gladiator

Ditto.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Knocked Up
    Fame
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. It seems Malick is quite the guilty party in this matter.

I must say as someone who doesn't give up on films, I don't mind those that do*. It's their prerogative, and with Malick might even make sense. His films aren't particularly persuasive. If you like the first twenty minutes or so, you'll probably like the whole film. If you don't like the first twenty minutes or so, you probably won't. You're either on board from the off or you're not. Then again, you can apply this to a lot of films these days perhaps.

* it's rather like the page 60 rule with books, which I do agree with. If it's not working by then (as it should), put it down. Life's too short.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17 Again. Well, I watched the beginning, switched over and then later switched back to catch a glimpse of the ending. I could probably save myself a lot of time by doing the same with all such predictable comedies!

I nearly gave up on The Social Network but because many people raved about it, I forced myself to watch it till the end, in case it suddenly became exciting. It bored me.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Agreed. The dullest film ever. The Thin Red Line was longer than the actual war. Seemed that way anyway.

Ha ha! Yes, I couldn't get through it and I like war films.

Other examples include The Sweeney. Ray Winstone once again played Ray Winstone but he's so fat and old that he just wasn't in any way convincing as Jack Reagan. Ben Drew was also hopelessly miscast and the ghastly blue cinematography meant that I endured about 20 minutes before turning it off.

Zero Dark Thirty I've now tried to watch 3 times but the triumphalist 'Go USA' tone of it puts me off each time.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    There Will Be Blood - gave up after 45 mins. So tedious!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purge
    Hangover part 3
    Alien v predator
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get flamed for this but Pulp Fiction. But it's because I started watching it as a teenager, my dinner was ready, went to eat and I've never gotten back to it... then again Tarantino films aren't really my thing.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try to finish films these days because it's surprising how often an film that's crap to start with turns out to be really good.

That happened recently when I watched Tabu (the recent Portuguese one, not the old Murnau one). The first 40 minutes of that one were dreadful and it took me three sittings over three days just to get that far. Then we enter a flashback and it starts getting really interesting and I ended up enjoying it. It's not a great film by an means but I'm glad I stuck with it.

However, some times you force yourself to watch a film like Case 39 all the way to the end in the hope that it will get better only to find that it keeps getting worse and worse to the extent that by the end the only way it can keep going downhill on that trajectory is if the credits music is by Mumford and Sons.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    dark shadows on sky movies the other day.

tried watching it on friday and saturday and both times i gave up.

absolute pony.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't begrudge you that, the trailers made it look interesting, and I wanted to watch it. But I reached the first line and knew it wasn't for me, so I didn't continue. Perhaps, I was unfair to it, but it doesn't exactly sound like I missed much...
    I first tried to watch this on a plane made it about a third of the of the way and gave up. A few weeks ago tried again and same result.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumb and Dumberer - Life is just too short
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    In the last few weeks:
    This is 40
    This Must be the Place
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Prometheus. The fact I'm not big on any Ridley Scott directed movies probably did not help!