Fear The Walking Dead Season 1 US Pace (Spoilers Tagged)

Comments

• Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was .. ok ..

I guess the decision to set it as a prequel is always going to create an air of expectation because people already know what happens. The one problem i had, as some have mentioned, is that i cared little about any of the main characters. The son, in particular, was very irritating.

We'll see though - i don't mind giving it a few episodes to see how it develops.

I do think you were meant to find him irritating, and his whole story is about redeeming himself as a person, a person able to survive the oncoming hell.

As for the programme itself; I thought it was great. Disappointed they're seemingly ignoring early seasons of Walking Dead in regards to walkers abilities, likely retconning early TWD walker abilities. Oh well.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think you were meant to find him irritating, and his whole story is about redeeming himself as a person, a person able to survive the oncoming hell.

As for the programme itself; I thought it was great. Disappointed they're seemingly ignoring early seasons of Walking Dead in regards to walkers abilities, likely retconning early TWD walker abilities. Oh well.

I can certainly appreciate the idea behind the son's story I suppose, but I think my tolerance for such annoying characters is quite low nowadays unfortunately.

I guess it's entirely possible that if the show runs for a couple of seasons, from a storyline perspective, that they could cross paths with the early days of The Walking Dead universe. But then if they do get that far, does it just become an indirect clone of The Walking Dead with the family trying to survive the world full of undead ?
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woah, that was an ordeal. About halfway through I lost all interest as the characters were so annoying or unsympathetic.

Way too tightly focussed on a small group of people and too long for an episode in which not that much happened really, it only really started to get going in the last few minutes. The best parts IMO were where you got to see what presumably were early cases of walkers (with the authorities having no idea of what was going on or how to react).

Hopefully future episodes will widen out the scope and we'll see more about how society (and the World) in general reacts and how the Zombie Apocalypse 'went down', having flash forwarded through all that in TWD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can certainly appreciate the idea behind the son's story I suppose, but I think my tolerance for such annoying characters is quite low nowadays unfortunately.

I guess it's entirely possible that if the show runs for a couple of seasons, from a storyline perspective, that they could cross paths with the early days of The Walking Dead universe. But then if they do get that far, does it just become an indirect clone of The Walking Dead with the family trying to survive the world full of undead ?

Oops, on the latter I should probably have made myself more clear; walkers/abilities early on could run, sense/hear humans better, pick up objects and even climb over fences. Yet on FTWD, even the fresh ones bumbled like one that had rotted. I don't know, maybe not enough proper showings yet? Maybe only ones that turn from being killed by the virus remain more vigorous?

It does seem weird the rate of walker turns so far. I'd imagine hundreds die (thousands?) a day in LA. The incidents would have been swarming fast, and with the amount of deaths in hospitals they'd have been literal undead war zones. So I'm taking a wild guess that either A) it's not that good a portrayal as it should be or B) at the onset of it starting not everyone was a carrier. The CDC person thought for sure in TWD that EVERYONE was a carrier, so maybe something occurs which will later cause everyone to be a carrier? Because,like I said before, if everyone was a carrier initially the insanity would kick off and just keeping expanding in an area rather than a few isolated incidents (because of all the daily death in LA).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    It was a lot better than I expected after reading everyones thoughts online! looking forward to the next episode :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    So I have Virgin Media, Apple TV and iTunes. Is there anyway I can view this series on any of those? I don't mind paying per-episode.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally thought it does have potential, if it's given a chance to develop properly

We know how everything crashes down eventually but it's going to be fun to watch it all begin

I think of it as a sort of Night of the Living Dead where the end is beginning, Dawn of the Dead where martial law gets declared and human society crumbles, and then Day of the Dead where we get to Walking Dead territory where every human is gone replaced by armies of the undead

At the moment we are in the early stages of Night territory, yes it was a slow burner but I do have hope this series is going to be good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops, on the latter I should probably have made myself more clear; walkers/abilities early on could run, sense/hear humans better, pick up objects and even climb over fences. Yet on FTWD, even the fresh ones bumbled like one that had rotted. I don't know, maybe not enough proper showings yet? Maybe only ones that turn from being killed by the virus remain more vigorous?

It does seem weird the rate of walker turns so far. I'd imagine hundreds die (thousands?) a day in LA. The incidents would have been swarming fast, and with the amount of deaths in hospitals they'd have been literal undead war zones. So I'm taking a wild guess that either A) it's not that good a portrayal as it should be or B) at the onset of it starting not everyone was a carrier. The CDC person thought for sure in TWD that EVERYONE was a carrier, so maybe something occurs which will later cause everyone to be a carrier? Because,like I said before, if everyone was a carrier initially the insanity would kick off and just keeping expanding in an area rather than a few isolated incidents (because of all the daily death in LA).

Yeah, given that pretty much all deaths should result in a walker, it should be a lot more obvious that something is amiss. Hospitals would be breeding grounds for the undead and there would probably be dozens of re-animations every day from people who just died for one reason or another.

Of course, it could be that whatever reanimates people has not yet fully spread - possibly part of the 'flu' that people are talking about (or maybe that's just a cover story spread by government to stop panic).

It does seem that the staff in the hospital knew that there would be trouble when the person in the bed next to 'Young Johnny Depp' died and wheeled him off quickly before he could re-anminate. Even if not, it's also clear that when the parents return looking for YJD after he escapes, there's some sort of 'situation' that has developed so authorities MUST know.

I wonder will the 'cover up' angle play out as a theme? That would be interesting.

As for the Zombie abilities, they clearly made a mistake early on in TWD where they showed Zombies capable of doing a little more than just shambling about and they quickly rectified it in later episodes of the show.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rather poor start to the series.

It seemed to play too heavily on the "mystery" of this strange new outbreak for the characters. But with the slow pace & the viewing audience already knowing what is happening, it comes across as extremely dull.

The characters aren't all that interesting either, which doesn't help. The focus seems to be on a much too small group. With the size of LA, they could easily have had a bunch of different characters miles apart reacting to the same events, which would have made for a more interesting pilot.

I'll give it a few more episodes though, as the series does have potential.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought the Walker who attacked the Medics/firemen on the freeway seemed to be able to move faster than most Walkers but the other two main walkers seen were typical latter day TWD walkers.

As to the spread of the disease/virus.

I think it has to be that not everyone is a carrier yet, though looking up some figures less people die in LA County per day than I thought (an average of 159 per day in 2011) so maybe it mightn't spread as fast as we would think.

Are all the kids missing from school already infected/dead I wonder or just being kept at home?
  • in2deepin2deep Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    So I have Virgin Media, Apple TV and iTunes. Is there anyway I can view this series on any of those? I don't mind paying per-episode.
    I think the answer to that is no, no, and no :(

I've got VM XL, and there's no way I can get it (already get (unwanted) BT Sport bundled in)

AMC UK has a potential market of 1.5 million viewers (subscriber base of BT TV and Sky+BT Sport viewers), so FTWD is going to get poor ratings. At least if they offered it to VM and Sky, they could get a much bigger audience pool....

But, hey, they do what they do, and the rest of us will just have to make do with TWD on Fox :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather poor start to the series.

It seemed to play too heavily on the "mystery" of this strange new outbreak for the characters. But with the slow pace & the viewing audience already knowing what is happening, it comes across as extremely dull.

The characters aren't all that interesting either, which doesn't help. The focus seems to be on a much too small group. With the size of LA, they could easily have had a bunch of different characters miles apart reacting to the same events, which would have made for a more interesting pilot.

I'll give it a few more episodes though, as the series does have potential.

Agreed - there should have been more different groups/people scattered all over the area, in different levels of society and not just a small family.

And as you say there's absolutely no 'mystery' for the viewers as we know exactly what is going on and are yelling at the characters for failing to see it!

By now, there must be lots of people who know about the dead rising but it all seems to have been hushed up - show us more of that plot and how the authorities are trying (and failing) to deal with the problem. It does seem incredible that with news media clamouring for sensational stories and the internet out there to spread stories and evidence, so little news seems to have made it into the mainstream consciousness other than through some nerds who have a vague feeling that something is brewing (the acne kid).
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell is this rating at 8.1 on IMDB?! :eek: :confused:
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a terrible episode. So slow and the characters were very uninteresting.

How many more times are we going to get bratty teens in a US show?

The last five mins of the show should have been the first five mins.

Certainly didn't need druggie guy as the main intro to the show. Kim Dickens is the best thing about it but she comes across as wet.

I hope the kids get killed off early.

I was underwhelmed, which I did not imagine I would be. The Johnny Depp lookalike was not interesting, the mother was annoying as hell, the sister meh and the other teenager was whatever. The father was somewhat ok, but I dislike that there is so often brought together families instead of mother, father and children.
  • VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always use putlocker.

http://putlocker.is/watch-fear-the-walking-dead-tvshow-season-1-episode-1-online-free-putlocker.html
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell is this rating at 8.1 on IMDB?! :eek: :confused:

TWD fanboys.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but it will involve a Google search and entering parts of the Internet many people do not wish to frequent.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked it to be honest, Never realised "uncle bully" from once was warriors was in it.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Also the son that looks like Johnny Depp is Frank Dillane son of Stephen Dillane whom played Stannis Baratheon in GOT
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I thought the Walker who attacked the Medics/firemen on the freeway seemed to be able to move faster than most Walkers but the other two main walkers seen were typical latter day TWD walkers.

As to the spread of the disease/virus.

I think it has to be that not everyone is a carrier yet, though looking up some figures less people die in LA County per day than I thought (an average of 159 per day in 2011) so maybe it mightn't spread as fast as we would think.

Are all the kids missing from school already infected/dead I wonder or just being kept at home?

When you consider kids are FORCED to take vacinations just to be able to go to most schools in America, it may be no coincidence it looked like the kids were hit hardest and were off. Tainted vaccines maybe?

My theory is the government knew it was coming from isolated incidents and that it would spread, then secretly made a vaccine, then rushed it through without proper trials (as they often do), giving it to kids/elderly first and inadvertantly ended up actually spreading the virus through the vaccine (as sometimes happens) thus creating millions upon millions of initial carriers. Think about...not actually that many kids in TWD, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The slow burn opener is a bit of 'come on lets get going' but equally as we know the outcome that's why.

I was wondering if some drug trial may have gone badly wrong and we get waves of infected down the line. Or may it be a drug that Nick's girlfriend took which turned her some organic high that mutates in the blood killing and turning you. It spreads randomly until sufficent infected start to mass then goodnight irene.

I thought that maybe as things fell apart in the original series the goverment created an airborne 'cure' that made everyone a carrier.

I must admit how it is developing is how you would suppose something like this would spread. Outbreaks occur that are limited or almost contained the police and military are not given all the details for fear they'd spill the beans to the press, so rumour and guesswork take over. Then before you know it those stumbling drugged up homeless are attacking and all bets are off.

But to be totally honest we've all seen enough zombie films to know crazy as it might seem head shot. World War Z showed that with proper organisation and some basic retraining the undead horde can be stopped so we have to assume that in the TWD World no one ever saw a zombie film. Or am I picking holes unfairly.

I think it will get better but they maybe should have spread the opening two episodes over a wider net of players so that we don't know who will or won't make it to the season finale, we can of assume the family will all make it as we need a core cast to hang the story off.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main things I didn't like was this emphasis on one family, its woes and troubles at home and school.

At times it was like watching Home And Away.

I also don't get why the scares are limited. They could have inserted at least five more scares or scenes where 'OTHER' people were experiencing the zombie experience.

It didn't make any sense to me. But at last things got going toward the end but it was a bit amateurish.
  • nnopnnop Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it. For a first episode that has to set up the characters I thought it was ok.

I didn't mind the lead druggie character and his family, although the sister was a bit of a stereotypical high school bitch. He walks like a zombie without being one.

The best bits were when they tried to heighten the tention when they tried pulling off the freeway and heard gun shots, in the school looking at footage and then having to close the school, and the final sequence with Cal in the sewer.

Hope they expand on the source of the infection, seeing as it started with Gloria being turned without any reason why, and I thought this series was mean't to be telling the story of the outbreak.

Looking forward to the next episode.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was all a bit dull and predictable. "Oh look," I said to the wife, "a black kid, I doubt he'll see the episode out." and he didn't. Looks like TWD is continuing with it's its 'one black in one black out' policy.

I'll stick with it though, in case it improves.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nnop wrote: »

Hope they expand on the source of the infection, seeing as it started with Gloria being turned without any reason why, and I thought this series was mean't to be telling the story of the outbreak.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I believe Kirkman has said that the cause will never be revealed in the comics and AFAIK it's the same for the TV Show(s).

I presume Gloria just died from an overdose and was a carrier of the virus.
    Thought it was all a bit dull and predictable. "Oh look," I said to the wife, "a black kid, I doubt he'll see the episode out." and he didn't. Looks like TWD is continuing with it's its 'one black in one black out' policy.

I'll stick with it though, in case it improves.

I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.

The daughters boyfriend was probably killed off as well.
    Think about...not actually that many kids in TWD, right?

I'd put that down to Kids being easier for the Zombies to kill.
    so we have to assume that in the TWD World no one ever saw a zombie film.

It's been said that that is the case (hence the non use of the word Zombie by the characters).