Options

Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands January ITV

H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New teaser trailer has been put up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UZCn2Gens

Looks like it could definately fill the Merlin shaped hole in the schedules

Comments

• Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member

Looks good! :D
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Ah the perpetual problem with UK TV. Having a Black or other Non-European actor in a deeply European story where it serves no other purpose other to be politically correct.
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Ah the perpetual problem with UK TV. Having a Black or other Non-European actor in a deeply European story where it serves no other purpose other to be politically correct.
    Trolls and dragons yes, black people no? :confused:

I could be wrong...but I think there's more archaeological evidence of black people being in Europe at the time of Beowulf than there is of trolls and dragons :D

The programme is not airing until January, I'll wait to watch it before making judgements :)
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Avidian wrote: »
    Trolls and dragons yes, black people no? :confused:

I could be wrong...but I think there's more archaeological evidence of black people being in Europe at the time of Beowulf than there is of trolls and dragons :D

The programme is not airing until January, I'll wait to watch it before making judgements :)

This is a false position.

Beowulf is deeply rooted in the Pagan Germanic folklore. It is part fantasy part social reality.

Just because there may of been a Black person or two wandering most likely the Southern part of Europe(probably Islamic controlled Spain at this point) does not mean it has a legitimate part to play in a completely different culture's stories.

It is a form of cultural appropriation and even outright cultural theft.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can not wait for this. Although ITV and sci-fi/fantasy hardly go together like a horse and carriage.