The Pillars of the Earth (Canada / US Pace)

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I think that silly remark tells us all we need to know about where you are coming from.:rolleyes:

And no, it will no doubt be a lot more popular in Britain given the subject matter.

What's with the sarcastic rolling eye smiley? :confused:

It is well known that US viewers love this kind of historical romp, especially when lots of actors are British.

When C4 shows it in the UK, I doubt it will be nearly as popular.

If you are implying I am some kind of troll, then check out some of my other posts, as you would be way off the mark.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    What's with the sarcastic rolling eye smiley? :confused:

It is well known that US viewers love this kind of historical romp, especially when lots of actors are British.

You called it "tosh" and immediately followed that up with "Americans will love it." If you weren't TRYING to communicate the insulting idea that "Americans love tosh" you really didn't do a good job of making it apparent what you were trying to communicate.
    When C4 shows it in the UK, I doubt it will be nearly as popular.

(1) The show is being aired in the US by an extremely obscure subscription channel that isn't even available in 90% of American homes. By contrast, how many homes in the UK don't have access to Channel 4? The premiere of the show was watched by fewer than 700,000 people in the US. I guarantee you that despite the UK having only one-fifth the population of the US, Pillars is going to be watched by more than 700,000 people in Britain.

(2) Now on top of the above we are talking about a show whose subject matter is something from English history, not American history.

(3) And on top of what I noted in point (2) add this: while there are parts of English history that Americans can get interested in because certain events or people have larger than life reputations (like Henry VIII, hence The Tudors TV series), cathedral building in 12th century England is both subject matter and a time period that leaves most Americans yawning, especially if warfare is absent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You called it "tosh" and immediately followed that up with "Americans will love it." If you weren't TRYING to communicate the insulting idea that "Americans love tosh" you really didn't do a good job of making it apparent what you were trying to communicate.

(1) The show is being aired in the US by an extremely obscure subscription channel that isn't even available in 90% of American homes. By contrast, how many homes in the UK don't have access to Channel 4? The premiere of the show was watched by fewer than 700,000 people in the US. I guarantee you that despite the UK having only one-fifth the population of the US, Pillars is going to be watched by more than 700,000 people in Britain.

(2) Now on top of the above we are talking about a show whose subject matter is something from English history, not American history.

(3) And on top of what I noted in point (2) add this: while there are parts of English history that Americans can get interested in because certain events or people have larger than life reputations (like Henry VIII, hence The Tudors TV series), cathedral building in 12th century England is both subject matter and a time period that leaves most Americans yawning, especially if warfare is absent.

Good grief, lighten up a bit. I don't need a lecture from you. This thread is about a TV drama series based on a best selling novel, not some life or death matter. I'm sorry I ever bothered posting. Looking at some of your other posts, it's clear you have all the facts about TV worldwide at your finger tips and are far more knowledgeable about such things. I bow to your superior knowledge and now I'm going to relax and enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

PS 'Tosh' can be good or bad. ;)
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Good grief, lighten up a bit. I don't need a lecture from you. This thread is about a TV drama series based on a best selling novel, not some life or death matter. I'm sorry I ever bothered posting. Looking at some of your other posts, it's clear you have all the facts about TV worldwide at your finger tips and are far more knowledgeable about such things. I bow to your superior knowledge and now I'm going to relax and enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

PS 'Tosh' can be good or bad. ;)

Hey, I just answered your questions, and yes, I took the time to explain my position thoroughly and -- I hoped -- persuasively. And you respond by objecting to being "lectured?"

No wonder people on DS who disagree usually just tell each other to go pound sand. A lot less time and bother involved.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I just answered your questions, and yes, I took the time to explain my position thoroughly and -- I hoped -- persuasively. And you respond by objecting to being "lectured?"

No wonder people on DS who disagree usually just tell each other to go pound sand. A lot less time and bother involved.:)

I only asked one question and yes, I objected to being lectured. Perhaps you are not aware of the tone of your posts on occasions and we are both lacking in message board communication skills. I've not been accused of making silly remarks before, but there's always a first time.

I think your experience of DS is very different from mine and if you'd bothered to look at my posting history (like I did with yours), you'd see I am not in the habit of telling people to 'go pound sand' and am quite at home having a reasoned discussion about the topic of choice.

TBH I've got better things to do than continue this discussion, so I won't be replying to any other posts you make on this subject. Hope you find someone else to argue with soon.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, it's departing quite a bit from the book now. Which isn't that bad a thing. Mauds character certainly a lot different, if I remember rightly.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm enjoying it!

K
  • Gott Sei DankGott Sei Dank Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Well, I'm enjoying it!

K

Me Too

I think they should have gone for the proper mini series feel with 4 x 90min episodes rather than stretch it out with 8 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else still watching? Bit of a shock ending to ep V...

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I am but this week's episode is still not available! Cant find it aywhere! It usually isnt this late in appearing!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone found this yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, nothing yet. EZTV normally puts it up later on Sundays, so I'll wait until then before doing a wider search...

K
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    anyone found this yet

Nope :(
    Forum Member
    Really surprised that no-one has put it up yet.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transmission times for this show seem to vary from week to week (surprise!). According to Starz website, first showing of ep. 6 is tonight (Sunday). Hopefully, it will be up by tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Transmission times for this show seem to vary from week to week (surprise!). According to Starz website, first showing of ep. 6 is tonight (Sunday). Hopefully, it will be up by tomorrow.

Might explain why it's not out there at the moment
  • stevehattonstevehatton Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    It was shown Friday night but for some reason has only just appeared on certain filesharing sites.:)
    Forum Member
    Still not on available form my usual sources!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Still not on available form my usual sources!

Nor mine :(
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor mine :(

been up on mine since about 6:45 pm
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, it's out & about now.
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD version doesn't seem to have gone up yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good episode can't wait for next weeks finale
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Another good episode can't wait for next weeks finale

Only one left?:cry:

Thoroughly enjoyable six episodes. Not my usual cup of tea but great non the less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    Only one left?:cry:

Thoroughly enjoyable six episodes. Not my usual cup of tea but great non the less.

I think it's a double