Options

Skyfall Topples Titanic!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Interestingly I just noticed Gone with the Wind actually holds the all time "Adjusted for Inflation" record (thats just in the US I assume?) according to BOM, it works out at $1.57 Billion :eek:

It is an impressive number (and yes that's US only, although i imagine it will be number 1 worldwide too), but you should also bear in mind that Gone With The Wind's total takes into account all of the re-releases (of which there have been many since 1939) and also that the film was released in a time before home releases and as such was more of a draw for people to pay to see it again at the cinema.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Ah, thanks - I didnt know it includes re-releases :) Thats a good point also that in those days a LOT more people went to the cinema, if you missed a film at the cinema it was tough ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Ah, thanks - I didnt know it includes re-releases :) Thats a good point also that in those days a LOT more people went to the cinema, if you missed a film at the cinema it was tough ;)

Would Titanic's figures not also include the 3D re-release?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Would Titanic's figures not also include the 3D re-release?
    I should think so. I recall reports saying it pushed the film over the two billion mark earlier this year.

Interestingly, Titanic 3D was only a so-so performer in the US ($58m), but had a very healthy international run ($286m). There's still money in them there conversions.

From Boxofficemojo:
    From its (Skyfall) existing markets, it's going to easily get past $950 million, and it will be up to China to close the gap to $1 billion.
    What a cliffhanger, Bond.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I think it will fall just short of $1Billion personally but its been a massive success regardless (deservedly so) :)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Skyfail.....over hyped,, over long, over praised, boring for long periods.

Bet you're fun at parties :p :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else keep seeing "topless" in the thread title?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ Step away from your computer, as they used to say.

Skyfall now at $918m, apparently back on top in the US, and now Sony's biggest ever release.
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news for Bond but it's hardly surprising that more and more films are topping the list of late. Titanic's record stood for over a decade in the UK before Mama Mia took over, then Avatar the following year, now Bond a couple of years later. IMAX and raising ticket sales no doubt play a massive part.

And yes, Gone With the Wind is still the highest grossing worldwide when it comes to adjusted figures, but everyone seems to forget that it was rereleased at cinemas pretty much every year throughout the 40s as those things called DVDs had not been invented yet.

Box office figures are always up for interpretation, nothing is really set in stone.