Porridge

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm terrible for food binges, find something I like... eat it to excess, never able to bare the thought of touching it again.

This season its porridge, so gooey, warm and filling, like a dessert for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too) but I'm under the impression its relatively good for me too

So, the question is, what goes best with porridge? Banana and cinnamon was good, peanut butter was lovely, red berries were tasty enough, and even making it with cooled hot chocolate was an interesting but repeatable experience. The only thing I wouldn't go back to is Greek yoghurt... just left an unpleasant texture and not overly exciting taste.

Who else loves porridge, and what do you put with it?

Comments

• Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    Blueberries & honey

A good blob of Bonne Maman Damson Conserve

Golden Syrup

Sultanas & cinnamon

I love porridge. So filling and warming. Dorset Cereals used to make a lovely gingerbread porridge but I have no idea how to recreate it
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cream & Brown sugar:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blueberries & honey

Golden Syrup

Sultanas & cinnamon

I love porridge. So filling and warming. Dorset Cereals used to make a lovely gingerbread porridge but I have no idea how to recreate it

Gingerbread sounds fantastic! I don't know quite how to recreate something as beautiful as that sounds either, but I'll spend the next 20 minutes madly googling it in the hope someone will provide a recipe

Cinnamon and sultanas is lovely too, forgot to include that in my original list, sometimes with a dash of vanilla if I'm feeling like something extra special
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cream & Brown sugar:D

Sounds decedent for sure, not sure if it would be a little too 'rice puddingy' for my liking with all that dairy (I'm guessing you also make it with milk?)
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    Sounds decedent for sure, not sure if it would be a little too 'rice puddingy' for my liking with all that dairy (I'm guessing you also make it with milk?)

I make it with water, when I have cream.

The porridge I've been eating of late I make with unsweetened soya milk and honey, which is Mornflake Oatbran.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maple Syrup

Cream. Or evaporated milk :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Maple Syrup

Cream. Or evaporated milk :D

Mmmmmmmmmmm evap! Reminds me of the old days.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Blueberries & honey

Golden Syrup

Sultanas & cinnamon

It seems quite easy to recreate, just add bits of gingerbread to the porridge.

This can be homemade or bought from the supermarkets.

They still make gingerbread porridge. It is on their website and Waitrose website.

Perkier also sell gingerbread porridge in Tesco.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would enjoy porridge more if it didn't come with so much stuff in it.

Shell casing, burnt oats and what can only be described as small pebbles.

If it was just the oat flakes, I'd be happy with just oats and water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Mornflake I believe also do a gingerbread porridge!

Flaked coconut and dried dates is the next combo I'm going to try. Maybe a few pecan nuts too. Mmmmm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems quite easy to recreate, just add bits of gingerbread to the porridge.

This can be homemade or bought from the supermarkets.

They still make gingerbread porridge. It is on their website and Waitrose website.

Perkier also sell gingerbread porridge in Tesco.

Couldn't see this in Tesco (although admittedly most of my shopping is done 'in theory' online through mysupermarket.com before picking a supermarket, and as such generally end up at Asda!

Also because (as may frustrate dmuk further) I prefer my porridge bought in an unrefined for with all the shell casing, burnt oats and small pebbles in it. Opting for a instant porridge and sacrificing some of my more complex carbs a few days a week may well be a price worth paying here.

Then again 10 gingerbread men for £1 would give me a week of gingerbread heavy, crunch filled bowls of stodgy goodness... yum!

Tried pineapple this morning, have had the chunks in a can sat in the cupboard for too long now... regret not spending the time and cutting them smaller, but it was a refreshing mix for sure, probably repeatable.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore porridge, I've never gone off the stuff.

I only ever have it with fruit:

Blueberries;
    Sultanas, and flame raisins;
    Stewed apple, sultanas and cinnamon;
    Soaked dried fruit of all types;
    Berries;
    Tinned peaches.

All the above are yummy :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Not keen on it hot but I do like overnight porridge where you stick your oats in a jar with milk or soya/almond/hazelnut milk and leave them to absorb the liquid overnight in the fridge. Add a small drizzle of honey and a few raisins in the morning - lovely!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Proper fancy porridge now!
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i only like my porridge made with water and copious amounts of salt, because of the salt i cant have it very often.:(
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only like porridge when it comes in oat biscuit form :D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, only ever have it plain.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooked in water with a pinch of salt then just served up with a topping of sugar (white or brown, and if I'm feeling really out there wither vanilla or cinnamon sugar that I've made)

I like it not too stiff though, needs to be a bit fluid. not keen on adding milk/ cream as the porridge is creamy enough. Mind you when I was little it was stiff porridge with the moat of creamy milk from the top off the pint of milk with sugar... yummy! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    confuddled wrote: »
    i only like my porridge made with water and copious amounts of salt, because of the salt i cant have it very often.:(

I tried this 'savoury' option this morning, almost made me throw up (although admittedly I did throw in some left over chicken which might have had an impact)

Think I'll be sticking sweet for the time being, pleased that you enjoy it though. Just for reference, what is 'copious amounts of salt' I went with 5 salt cellar grinds (in 50g of dry porridge made up to volume). Is that the ball park?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Cooked in water with a pinch of salt then just served up with a topping of sugar (white or brown, and if I'm feeling really out there wither vanilla or cinnamon sugar that I've made)

I like it not too stiff though, needs to be a bit fluid. not keen on adding milk/ cream as the porridge is creamy enough. Mind you when I was little it was stiff porridge with the moat of creamy milk from the top off the pint of milk with sugar... yummy! :D

Shocked! Runny porridge. Are we talking run off a spoon runny, oats are separable from the water runny, had the first 2 minutes in the microwave, not yet stood nor been back in for a minute runny?!!
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked! Runny porridge. Are we talking run off a spoon runny, oats are separable from the water runny, had the first 2 minutes in the microwave, not yet stood nor been back in for a minute runny?!!

eww! No! ewww.

runny as in "easy to move around the bowl but still stiff enough rather than porridge which can be sliced or holds a spoon up"

at least 5 minutes min bubbly cooking time and ALWAYS done in a saucepan :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried this 'savoury' option this morning, almost made me throw up (although admittedly I did throw in some left over chicken which might have had an impact)

Think I'll be sticking sweet for the time being, pleased that you enjoy it though. Just for reference, what is 'copious amounts of salt' I went with 5 salt cellar grinds (in 50g of dry porridge made up to volume). Is that the ball park?

Chicken? In porridge?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF?! You actually had to try it to discover that chicken and porridge wouldn't be a good combo?!!
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm talking nearer a heaped table spoon or more:eek: seriously, unhealthily salty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicken? In porridge?!

Yeah... I do like experimenting with food, chucking things together which might work.

I thought that going with the savoury type thing, it might have worked... it didn't. Never ever ever again.

Just made up porridge with grated carrots cinnamon and raisins. All baked in the oven for 20 minutes.

Just waiting for it to cool