A Cheap DIY Freeview Aerial (anyone can make)

13»

Comments

• SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    lstar337 wrote:
    I tried it once, trouble is once I got my girlfriends bra off I couldn't care less what the tv picture looked like.
    Glad to hear it. Makes you more normal than some people here :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    If you are close-ish to your TX or relay I recommend a folded dipole (google for the shape etc) cut from coathanger wire measured (468 / Frequency in MHz) for your local channels, use a curved reflector made from a Pringles tube ( its foil backed) and feed with bit of satellite coax as its not as lossy as cheapo tv coax. Works better than our communal aerial.

Problems: after a few days experimentation all the wifes clothes are on the floor and Ive put on half a stone eating all the pringles.
  • Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    3dom wrote: »
    This is not right some relay masts use horizontal signals there is one near where i live which is horizontal which is a relay mast from winter hill.

But they won't be direct from Winter Hill, they will be via Hasslinden or Lancaster.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread reminds me of an amusing experiment I witnessed.

I knew two radio amateurs who lived close. They decided to try out the old saying "you can work him on a bit of wet string"

So they both made 2 metre dioles out of wet string, and did manage to work each other.

However they did report that the string had a tendancy to dry out at the current nodes, so needed frequent re wetting, otherwise the SWR went haywire.