Batch cooking-freezing opened tinned veg

bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm gonna do a lot of batch cooking and I have a few tins of veg that I could cook and use on these meals....is it ok to freeze tinned veg after they are cooked?

Comments

• Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bronson wrote: »
    I'm gonna do a lot of batch cooking and I have a few tins of veg that I could cook and use on these meals....is it ok to freeze tinned veg after they are cooked?

I would always err on the "no" side when it comes to using tinned or pre frozen food.

But I do use tinned veg when I make a large batch of soup and then freeze some for later. So, I would say yes, but would cool and freeze as soon as possible.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd treat tinned veg as sort of fresh veg as it will normally been canned faster than fresh stuff but could of sat around for a lot longer as normally frozen/canned stuff is done within hours of its picking so actually can be fresher than fresh veg on its last legs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I would say yes, no probs. Don't forget the canned veg has been canned really quicky and some of it (all of it?) will have been steam-cooked in the can anyway (pretty much rending it "sterile") - all you are doing when "cooking" it yourself is heating it up.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Er, why hasn't Billy been in here to tell you this should be in Food & Drink? :confused:

I'd have no problem freezing tinned veg.