Options

Emmerdale must take responsibility

Comments

• Options
    DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they dont leave the story like this?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane wrote: »
    Hope they dont leave the story like this?

I doubt it. According to spoilers
    David takes matters into his own hands and also Lachlan feels some remorse. Hopefully it wont all be about David and Lachlan though, a.d we'll see the ongoing effect on Alicia, and also Jacob and Lachlan's family. I thought it was so poignant when Alicia put on that cardigan and took the flower from her hair. I hooe they continue to show the psychological repercussions fir her
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. According to spoilers
    David takes matters into his own hands and also Lachlan feels some remorse. Hopefully it wont all be about David and Lachlan though, a.d we'll see the ongoing effect on Alicia, and also Jacob and Lachlan's family. I thought it was so poignant when Alicia put on that cardigan and took the flower from her hair. I hooe they continue to show the psychological repercussions fir her
    Sounds interesting. Hopefully Lachlan owns up if he feels remorse. I thought the same about the flower in her hair. I'd like to see David make Lachlan own up. That's if that's what you mean by taking matters into his own hands. I wonder if he'll point out about the tattoo, the aftershave and the bag again to Chrissie and Lawrence.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale is as responsible as the other soaps, they haven't done anything wrong
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm absolutely sick of this mentality that soaps must be seen as some sort of helpline.

It's a TV show and the entertainment should be put before anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sick of this mentality that soaps must be seen as some sort of helpline.

I completely agree with this.
  • Options
    tealovertealover Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40-40J's wrote: »
    I said much the same in a similar thread. The police waited till the following day to even question Lochlan, let alone gather DNA from him and check his phone, camera and computer.

I've only just caught up on this week's episodes but Lochlan was looking at photos of Alicia on his laptop so no evidence that the police have checked his stuff.

Jacob will bring him down!
  • Options
    MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wouldnt the Police has taken Lachlans laptop phone etc to check them out ? Seems this aspect is a little weak in the story line. Very good acting from Natalie though.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metermaid wrote: »
    wouldnt the Police has taken Lachlans laptop phone etc to check them out ? Seems this aspect is a little weak in the story line. Very good acting from Natalie though.

Agreed, Natalie Anderson is playing a blinder with this storyline. Had me in tears :cry:
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. If I want to be educated or made aware about something by a programme I watch a documentary not a fictional TV programme.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping this SL was going to be a positive (as much as it could be) with the way Alicia told someone straight away and went to the police without hiding it and trying to forget it didn't happen.

I appreciate in real life that these cases are hard to bring to court, however it looks like they have given up the first hurdle. Surely they would have looked into him a bit more, looked at mobile/laptop to see about this so called "relationship"

There are some people who look upto soaps with their own lives, and this isn't given a good example to encourage people to speak out about any sort of abuse.

Sometimes, I wish if they do this sort of SL, then those responsible are bought to justice, just so it gives others hope that some good can come out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rape is real.
    Victims being too scared/embarrassed to report it is a real problem.
    Emmerdale is not helping.

Dear god.....

seriously, you need to stop watching TV if you believe that a SOAP has any kind of social responsibility.

Its a TV SHOW, its light entertainment what is it that you don't understand? It is not a factual , documentary. It has a single agenda.... promote it's story line. that's it.

And lastly.... there was no rape and the crime was reported to the police.

So all in all your post hasn't really covered you in glory has it?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. Instead of having the "if you have been affected..." voiceover before practically every programme nowadays, they should replace it with the standard disclaimer at the front of every novel - "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental". :kitty:

Tbf to the soaps, they always say they do a lot of research into these 'issue' sls, and I'm sure they do, but that has to be slotted within the constraints of soap structure and dramatic licence has to be taken as read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally77 wrote: »
    I was hoping this SL was going to be a positive (as much as it could be) with the way Alicia told someone straight away and went to the police without hiding it and trying to forget it didn't happen.

I appreciate in real life that these cases are hard to bring to court, however it looks like they have given up the first hurdle. Surely they would have looked into him a bit more, looked at mobile/laptop to see about this so called "relationship"

There are some people who look up to soaps with their own lives, and this isn't given a good example to encourage people to speak out about any sort of abuse.

Sometimes, I wish if they do this sort of SL, then those responsible are bought to justice, just so it gives others hope that some good can come out of it.

BiB 1 - a tiny minority I'm sure, and more fool them.
    BiB 2 - I am 100% certain that Lachlan will be. It just won't happen overnight, any more than it does irl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep... this *1000

It really does get up my nose the way people bang on about soaps playing nanny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Agreed. Instead of having the "if you have been affected..." voiceover before practically every programme nowadays, they should replace it with the standard disclaimer at the front of every novel - "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental". :kitty:

Tbf to the soaps, they always say they do a lot of research into these 'issue' sls, and I'm sure they do, but that has to be slotted within the constraints of soap structure and dramatic licence has to be taken as read.

hell yes! :cool:
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I don't really get the problem.

Yes, Emmerdale has some kind of responsibility with this storyline - to show clearly who was the victim and who was responsible. And they've done that. The sympathy is all with Alicia. Natalie Anderson has been brilliant.

And there's almost always some kind of justice in soaps - in the end. Lachlan will be punished. But not yet. There's a story to tell first, about Alicia, about her self-blaming, about people not believing in her, and some that do, about what it does to the community, about Lachlan's family and their pathetic misguided attempts to protect him from his own actions, and finally (hopefully) about Lachlan realising what he's done, showing some remorse, and taking his punishment.

So it's not only entertainment - sexual abuse as entertainment only would be tacky as hell - but it is a story, and it's one that's got me gripped, waiting to see if Alicia gets justice. It's well told.

The only problems I can see with it is that the police have been (as they always are on soaps) useless, and I now loathe Chrissie with a fiery passion. But I can live with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Yep... this *1000

It really does get up my nose the way people bang on about soaps playing nanny.

The fact that thy rarely get the basic details right doesn't help. Fair enough as a work of fiction, which it is, but if they're going to start preaching and set themselves up as an advisory authority on the subjects they could at least do some research.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    The fact that thy rarely get the basic details right doesn't help. Fair enough as a work of fiction, which it is, but if they're going to start preaching and set themselves up as an advisory authority on the subjects they could at least do some research.

The soaps do not preach anything.

A soap will do whatever it feels is appropriate to push the story line. You cannot judge them for procedural accuracy because they are a soap.

Perhaps all the cast members should actually have to start eating all the food they order... drink all the drinks they order... start being seen going to the toilet and doing their business... getting up .. showering and getting dressed... living a life beyond the 10 square acres that comprises the village of Emmerdale... where do you stop? At what point is it too realistic because I can assure you it will be boring long before that point is reached.

Expecting a soap to be a perfect facsimile of life is frankly, stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    That has NEVER happened. Trust me Wyezed, once you start blatantly making things up to suit your own agenda, your argument is lost and easily dismissable. :kitty:
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely. If soaps want to go down the route of raising awareness/portraying a storyline to help victims or anything of that nature, I don't particularly mind - as long as it's secondary to the entertainment.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the writers are not going to have David give Lachlan a good hiding (much as some of us would enjoy that) and get himself arrested; this wouldn't help Alicia. Alicia and Leyla have never been close as sisters, but this unpleasant event has brought them together and I like the new closeness between them. Top marks for the young actor playing Jacob.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I don't want David to thump Lachlan as this really would be child abuse and would make things much worse for Alicia. Can you imagine what Chrissie would do? She'd be straight to the police. I'd like Jacob to tell the adults about Lachlan's photos and put Chrissie on the spot. I think the child actors who play Lachlan and Jacob are fantastic. They are so professional and talented. I hope one of them gets an award.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiB 1 - a tiny minority I'm sure, and more fool them.
    BiB 2 - I am 100% certain that Lachlan will be. It just won't happen overnight, any more than it does irl.

BIB- Yes your right it doesn't happen overnight, however this is soapland and doesn't have the same timescale as real life, so if justice does happen, lets hope it is soon and not dragged out and ruin what can be a good SL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally77 wrote: »
    BIB- Yes your right it doesn't happen overnight, however this is soapland and doesn't have the same timescale as real life, so if justice does happen, lets hope it is soon and not dragged out and ruin what can be a good SL.
    Well yes, except we've already got half of DS complaining because the police decided not to proceed within just 3 days, so soaps do tend to be in a lose-lose situation in that respect. :D