Options

Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
Administrator
Which continued tonight Aida - I'm sure Declan's starting to smell a rat. Snideshead's dastardly stealing of Maisie's phone was sickening :mad: Although Maisie seemed suspicious for a while, the cad soon reassured her he'd played no part in its disappearance. I had to laugh when she started raking up the hay in the stable - it wasn't going to be there was it? :D Natasha's willingness to go along with the phone 'vanishing' signalled a new low for her. Despite her constant guilty expressions, she's sunk as low as Snideshead now.

Chas remains the most annoying character for me ( alongside Nicola ). Her main interest in life now seems to be trying to find out the nature of Airhead & Co's business, and of course slurping booze through that ever-present straw :mad: The sooner Carl beds the marvellous Eve the better. I really want Chas to suffer :mad: :eek: :D

Talking of suffering, what about Jimmy? Chained to a monster like Nicola, continuously b*llocked and now even locked in the Woolie cellar :( And he still apologised to her twice :eek:

Two more great episodes :)

This thread is a continuation of: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=906575&page=123

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,685
    Forum Member
    Wahay, congrats on the new part!
  • Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, look - we have a new 'home'! :)

I was very relieved when I read your 'take' on last night's eppys, Musty, mainly because I , too, had a very uneasy and slightly irritated feeling once they were over, possibly emanating from the heart-sinking final scene where the fool Jimmy surrendered the final remaining particles of his manhood to bliddy Noxious Nicola.

Not that there hadn't been enough going on throughout to irritate the life out of me, particularly the moment when the scales fell from my eyes with a crash as Gnasher deleted the vital video and it dawned on me that, excellent actress as Amanda undoubtedly is, her character is irredeemably sullied and became almost more deplorable than Snideshead's.

The fault, of course, fundamentally lies with the endlessly brainless and flawlessly selfish Mad Maisie - incidental kudos to Viv for the excellent nickname 'Princess Ditzy' - who, having found a shred of 'evidence' which had the potential to at least prompt the rozzers to look again at the neat package of questionable 'proof' which has caused the current incarceration of the Innocent Lamb, promptly 'lost' it!

I mean, you've got to ask yourself the question, haven't you - if that had been my phone and I'd been in a quandary about how to proceed, I'd have probably sent a copy to my computer, chucked a copy on to Photobucket, and guarded the phone with my life until I'd decided what to do! I might well have told my nearest and dearest about it, but I certainly wouldn't have allowed the phone to leave my person under any circumstances.

I could go on and on - suffice it to say that Maisie isn't my favourite character by a long chalk and her shrill skriking before and after the 'loss' of the phone had me practically tearing my hair out - in a nutshell, I was very disappointed when Faye didn't instantly deck her on receiving the news of her idiotic behaviour! :mad:

I'm not going to write a lengthy rant about Nicola or I'll be sat here tapping out furious insults until mid-morning - suffice it to say that I'm fed up to the back teeth with seeing her get her own way via total disregard for anyone apart from herself, her unending emasculation of her husband and father, and shameless emotional blackmail.

The prospect of her continuing as landlady of the Woollie is simply horrible, but while I might be grasping at straws, there might be a glimmer of hope in that she seemed to be suggesting that things weren't working out before Jimmy cemented his position as domestic doormat and recklessly abandoned his brother, his business, and his determination to restore King Brothers to its former fortunes to devote his entire being to fawning over her and the kid!

Lots more happened, but those were the issues which stood out for me - bits I did enjoy included, as always, Val's input, Viv's growing jealousy, Eve-the-strumpet's developing character (and that very smart and flattering black dress she was wearing), Edna's deep suspicion mirrored by the little dog, Tootsie, who looked as disapproving as her mistress, Casanova King's smirking and flirting under the overpainted eyes of Foghorn Dingle, Scarlett and young Barton making up, Declan the Human Coconut (finally) beginning to have his suspicions that there is something rotten in the state of Home Farm and Faye managing to courageously overcome the placidity Botox has given to her lovely face and ripping the gormless Maisie a new *rsehole!

Roll on tonight - it can only get better - can't it? :confused:

Addendum
    Ooops - I got so carried away with my own rhetoric, I forgot to say the very thing I wanted to point out :o - why didn't someone at least suggest calling Mad Maisie's number while conducting the 'search' for the phone?
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    How spiffing, it's part two :D This is by far my favourite thread on Emmerdale because it offers three great components - in-depth discussion, a good laugh and ( vitally ) the chance to give any opinion without getting pounced on by the thought police.

Long may it reign :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aida wrote: »
    I was very relieved when I read your 'take' on last night's eppys, Musty, mainly because I , too, had a very uneasy and slightly irritated feeling once they were over, possibly emanating from the heart-sinking final scene where the fool Jimmy surrendered the final remaining particles of his manhood to bliddy Noxious Nicola.
    But did you notice Aida, when Jimmy committed fully to the pub, that Nicola's face dropped? :confused:

As it stands Emmerdale Haulage now has two employees, Edna & Carl :D
  • Options
    narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Does the King's loyal employee, the AWOL Dean not still work for them? We haven't seen or heard about him in months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But did you notice Aida, when Jimmy committed fully to the pub, that Nicola's face dropped? :confused:

D

I noticed that,she did not look too happy :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    narobi83 wrote: »
    Does the King's loyal employee, the AWOL Dean not still work for them? We haven't seen or heard about him in months.

Its been ages since Dean was mentioned or onscreen,perhaps Carl 'accidentally' killed him too !
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, part 2, amazing! :) Great posts again. And narobi's right, what's happened to Dean? Is Angela right - he's another victim of Carl :eek:

Great summing up by Musty and Aida as per and my thoughts basically echo theirs.

I know Natasha is a murderer but I always let her off a bit in my mind as I felt she was 'driven' to it by Mark's behaviour, impulsive reaction when she reached the end of her tether etc. But last night was an absolute deliberate act, completely destroying evidence for her own selfish purposes with, once again, Nasty Nathan doing the (her) dirty work. She is now tainted in my eyes (amazing how she wasn't tainted after committing murder but the wiping of a phone has done it for me! :D). It wasn't great evidence but it was still evidence that might have cast doubt on Ryan's guilt but she couldn't have that could she? My one hope now is that when Faye eventually finds out everything that's happened, and that her son was originally framed by Nathan but condemned by Natasha, that we have a bitch fight to end all bitch fights a la Dynasty! :D My hopes for Ryan's release now sit on Cain's rather dubious shoulders! Shaky ground indeed.

TOTALLY agree with Aida that you'd have thought Maisie would never have let that phone out of her sight (even after making copies) and positively groaned when she got up and left her bag (:rolleyes:) as it was obvious what was going to happen next. Pity the cafe hasn't got CCTV. Maisie deserved to be trounced around Emmerdale by Faye. Hysterical AND dim, good job she's got a pretty face as she really doesn't have much else going for her. PLUS does Maisie not find it a tad suspicious that she mentions evidence on her phone and then said phone mysteriously vanishes? But I suppose jumping to that conclusion would take a brain cell.

I thought it was interesting though that Nathan never actually deleted the offending video himself (he had ample opportunity) but handed it to his mum for her to decide what to do. Clever Nathan.

And it's official, Jimmy hasn't just been neutered he's now actually a eunuch. Nicola probably keeps his balls in a jar on the mantelpiece. That's right Jimmy, just leave your family business and drop your brother in the crap, all because Nicola has a whim to run a pub :rolleyes: Is he even going to serve notice with Carl until he finds another driver or just drop him in it completely? Does the pub still officially belong to Diane? Oooh I hope so because I want her to come back and turf these cuckoos out declaring that she's decided not to sell up and when Jimmy goes cap in hand to Carl that he tells him where to go too.

I know pubs are plot devices in soaps but if TPTB insist on keeping Nicola behind that bar I would really like to see a plotline where the residents of ED vote with their feet after getting fed up of Nicola's rudeness or rictus grin, start stocking up on booze from a supermarket and we see them intermingling with each other in their own homes while tumbleweed blows through the Woolie! :D I can but dream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW- Part two !!!!!!:):):)

Not the strongest of episodes last night- while I am very glad to see the return of the Wyldes- this Maisie phone plot involved several suspensions of belief too far for me:(

The first thing you would do is send that photo to somebody (preferably Nikhil) and make several copies of it- and no way would you leave the phone out of your hand- the idea that she would leave her bag on the chair while she went to the bathroom was ludicrous- completely incredible and very daft

Also, Declan must be completely thick if he is only starting to get a little suspicious by this stage- any normal person would have ran for the hills months ago

The only good aspect of the storyline was that it revealed Natasha's true colours- she's probably the only person in the village that's worse than Nathan:eek:

She was completely ruthless in terms of protecting her interests, whatever the price- as despicable as Nathan's behaviour is, he at least appears to care about his sister- the only person Natasha appears to care about is herself-Maisie looks like she's heading for another breakdown and I am not sure Nathan is going to continue to do Natasha's dirty work if that happen- if he has to chose between Maisie and Natasha, he'll pick his sister

It's hard to care about Carl's latest fling- he's like the Tiger Woods of Emmerdale- I can't keep track anymore- that said I have no sympathy for Chas whatsoever- Paddy's well rid of her

Nico's tenure as Woolpack landlady remains torturous- Rodney should have considered all our feelings and left Nico and Jimmy locked in the basement:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    As this has Emmerdale Past in the title, it is clearly a thread dealing with days gone by and you are all knowledgeable in that respect so I wonder if someone can give some assistance with an upcoming project.
    How did Angie Richards, played by Beverley Sowden in 1983, leave?
    I'm afraid records are somewhat sparse but viewers' memories are wonderfully reliable. :)
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats all for being "part twoers". I love this thread.

Missed last nights double ep (we were at a funeral/wake), so I'll have to catch up on Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Nicola probably keeps his balls in a jar on the mantelpiece.
    :p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this has Emmerdale Past in the title, it is clearly a thread dealing with days gone by and you are all knowledgeable in that respect so I wonder if someone can give some assistance with an upcoming project.
    How did Angie Richards, played by Beverley Sowden in 1983, leave?
    I'm afraid records are somewhat sparse but viewers' memories are wonderfully reliable. :)

Oh, Lord, murky, that's a puzzler - I vaguely remember Angie Richards, probably because Beverley Sowden as was became Liz McDonald in Coro after she left Emmerdale, but I can't for the life of me remember how she made her exit from the Dales! :o

I'll have to ask my old auntie the next time I see her and hope she isn't having one of her senior moments!

Now, if you'd asked about Angie Reynolds - hers was an exit I'll never forget! :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Snidehead's smirk as a distressed Maisie left the room was another golden moment tonight, It was brilliant stuff :D 'Are you enjoying this?' Yes Natasha, he is - as the extended smirk so clearly explained :D The Innocent Lamb lost it big time on learning the news of Maisie's carelessness and who can blame him :eek:

Cain has improved greatly since he's become concerned about the pending miscarriage of justice. The original Cain was never all bad, which is how he's been portrayed too often since his return. I like the way he's tried to help Faye and Ryan. He even tried to galvanize Maisie tonight, but to no avail.

I predict Bob's going to get angry when he finds out that Viv's spreading the word that romance is afoot between him and Lizzie. Lizzie does seem to have feelings for Bob, but it's just a friendship to him.

Airhead & Co stumbles bravely on, as does Emmerdale Haulage. The whole scenario of these two 'businesses' is bordering on fantasy land. Even the chocolate factory seems quite realistic in comparison :p

It's been a great week for Emmy, helped enormously by the lack of clowns like Marlon & Pollard :)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Just have to say, I agree with Mr Mustard and Aida that I too agree this is a nice friendly forum [a RARITY].
    Loving the Wyldes at the moment - Lordy what is going to happen next? The Demon that is Nathan (Bless him) wont go down (in my eyes) but I think Natasha WILL!!.
    I also think that Diane will return and retrieve the pub from Knee-Co! PLEASE!!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also think that Diane will return and retrieve the pub from Knee-Co! PLEASE!!:)
    If that happens we should have a celebration party on the thread Jack :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just have to say, I agree with Mr Mustard and Aida that I too agree this is a nice friendly forum [a RARITY].
    Loving the Wyldes at the moment - Lordy what is going to happen next? The Demon that is Nathan (Bless him) wont go down (in my eyes) but I think Natasha WILL!!.

Oh, absolutely, Jack - I hope that sentence flows from your fingertips to God's ears!

My hopes that the nasty little tyrant would admit defeat and order her downtrodden minion (poor Jimmy) to abandon what would surely turn out in her universe to be 'his' idea to buy the pub, were dashed to smithereens in the closing stages of Emmer tonight! :(

My beloved Val, in informing the noxious one that she was beginning to shape up, became the last in what had turned out to be a long line of characters I wanted to smack over the head tonight - naughty, bad Val - why did you accept her apology with such grace? You don't think she actually means it, do you?

First in line for the Aida clout across t'heid - Mad Maisie, the runaway leader on the scoresheet for my 'Stupidest Female in Soap' award - I can't identify any one action or word of hers which set me off - I only have to see that vacuous face and hear that whinging 'Me,me,me' dialogue and I'm wresting my foam brick from the black cat (who, by pretending it's his toy I've trained to fetch it back) and hurling it at the telly.

T'brick's done a lot of sailing through the air recently, I threw it three times at Gnasher this evening, four times at Nathan and twice at Faye - all right, she meant well, but really - no wonder the Innocent Lamb flew into a cadenza of epic proportions! :eek:

At least Faye redeemed herself somewhat by courageously bursting into Wylde territory and eating the face off the three of them - as if they cared? I can't wait to see either Gnasher or Snideshead or both of them brought to book - come on, Cain - we're relying on you!

Meanwhile, Casanova King showed his cheapskate nature and lack of class by inviting the strumpet Eve to (presumably) join him in a daylight shag behind the Woollie and in full view of the carpark - as if! Couldn't he even wait until it was dark?:rolleyes:

Finally, Lizzie proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that me Nana was right when she used to tell me that listeners hear no good of themselves - I often wish she was still here, she'd be loving the endlessly fascinating tapestry of (larger-that-life) village life which is Emmerdale at the moment - and I think she'd love this excellent thread too! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why were so many raving when it was announced James Sutton had been signed? I can't be alone in cringing tonight when Ryan was being dragged back to his cell, James acting in that scene was awful. I never got the fuss over him in Hollyoaks, he was an average actor at best that just happened to be given a huge storyline. I think many were blinkered by how progressive the story was for British Soap. I know it wasn't a first to be dealing with homosexuality but the way it was handled was far better than any previous efforts.

I get the impression that we as viewers are now meant to think that after Rodney intervening last night Nicola has had a think about her behaviour and turned over a new leaf. I'm hoping that her running the pub isn't a permenant thing and only being done as an excuse to adapt the character and soften her a little by making her reflect upon how she speaks to others. I wouldn't want to lose the nastiness completely but the spoilt "princess" routine starts to wear thin after a while. Now we just need the writers to have Jimmy discover a backbone.

Poor Chas, I know a lot on here feel karma is the reason for her current predicament after how she treated Paddy but her leaving him wasn't her choice, she did tell Carl to keep quiet and wanted to stick with paddy it was only after Paddy threw her out she went crawling to Carl. That's why I don't understand why Carl is now chasing Eve, he was the one who told Paddy to sabotage what Paddy and Chas had so that he could have Chas himself. I think if we'd seen more of Carl struggling with Aaron in light of recent revelations and Chas arguing with him over it then putting their realtionship under strain he may then be believable that he'd stray. As it is they still seem happy.

Another thing that baffles me is Eve and Scarlett's sudden friendship. At which point did Scarlett make a U-turn because I don't remember a scene where Scarlett decided Eve wasn't bad. All I recall is her initially warning Eve off Carl. Which also is rather confusing because I don't remember Scarlett being keen on Chas either after she wrecked his marraige to Lexi. I know Scarlett is often potrayed as slightly dopey but I doubt she'd suddenly go from disliking someone to being friends with nothing to justify this progression. It gives the impression that they'll change the character to fit whatever storyline they have planned, and that's sloppy writing for me.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Another thing that baffles me is Eve and Scarlett's sudden friendship. At which point did Scarlett make a U-turn because I don't remember a scene where Scarlett decided Eve wasn't bad. All I recall is her initially warning Eve off Carl. Which also is rather confusing because I don't remember Scarlett being keen on Chas either after she wrecked his marraige to Lexi. I know Scarlett is often potrayed as slightly dopey but I doubt she'd suddenly go from disliking someone to being friends with nothing to justify this progression. It gives the impression that they'll change the character to fit whatever storyline they have planned, and that's sloppy writing for me.

I think the turning point was when Eve stook up for Scarlett when Carl kept undermining her. I think she saw Eve in a new light and was willing to give her a chance. Then she knew Eve was looking for unemployment and was good when she worked for Emmerdale Haulage so that's why she chose to hire her.

I do agree with you about James Sutton. I find his character and Faye both incredibly dull and I don't feel like they add much to the show at all. They're lucky they are part of a big storyline because I think they would fade quite easily without it. Neither are strong enough actors to make a big impression IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually think Kim Thompson is great and it's a lack of material that restrains her, If given a strong story I think she'd excel. The wrongful imprisonment of Ryan is probably James first major storyline that is centered around his character and so far I don't think James has delivered, I just don't care about his character and would rather he rotted and Nathan & Natasha stayed as they offer far more.

The writers really need to have Ryan find a personality, at least Faye has shown some fight and not backed down with Natasha. Whenever a scene calls for a little more than the normal everyday stuff from James he struggles to depict any emotion in his scenes. Even Sophie managed a better performance as Holly when John trashed her room and attempted to drown her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Ryan is supposed to be this likeable good guy but I do agree that he is very bland- I am not criticising James Sutton particularly but he's a boring character- I should feel outraged that he's wrongly imprisoned but I am not all that bothered

In real life you would want to be friends with someone like Ryan rather than Nathan- but in terms of a soap drama, Nathan's a much better character- While Natasha and Nathan's behaviour is terrible- they are way more interesting to watch:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand what Ryan is supposed to be but there's been other likeable characters that manage to be engaging also due to the actor adding other dimensions to the character in their performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Kim Thompson is great and it's a lack of material that restrains her, If given a strong story I think she'd excel. The wrongful imprisonment of Ryan is probably James first major storyline that is centered around his character and so far I don't think James has delivered, I just don't care about his character and would rather he rotted and Nathan & Natasha stayed as they offer far more.

The writers really need to have Ryan find a personality, at least Faye has shown some fight and not backed down with Natasha. Whenever a scene calls for a little more than the normal everyday stuff from James he struggles to depict any emotion in his scenes. Even Sophie managed a better performance as Holly when John trashed her room and attempted to drown her.

Well, we'll have to agree to differ on this one, Narobi - I like Ryan's quiet, 'decent young man' character and feel that he's accurately portraying an innocent person, wrongly accused, who is frightened, despairing and utterly bewildered by the circumstances he finds himself in.

There are lots of quiet, reserved people in real life and they provide an essential backdrop and foil for those who are more flamboyant and extroverted in their behaviour - but if everyone in a soap has a huge, centre-stage-grabbing personality, for me, it quickly becomes a sitcom or a ludicrous never-ending melodrama.

I'm also not convinced at all by any of Holly's performances to date - screaming shrilly and pretending to cry doesn't make an actress in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seemed as if he'd so far accepted his fate and hasn't really got annoyed about the situation and the one time he does on Friday the scene felt awkward which I felt was down to his performance. He plays the likeable good guy rather well but every so often even that character is expected to do something other than be bland and it's here where James struggles.

With Holly I agree her acting isn't oscar worthy but at least they got something other than the drone out of her in those scenes. The actress attempted something different and why not everyone may have liked it I prefer that to just being the same in practicially every scene. When I say Ryan needs a personality I don't want him to become OTT, just flesh him out a little and make him display a little more than the wet drip we've been given so far. Show another side to the character as even those quite, shy people have other layers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughing - well, there we are then - as the French might say, at an impasse!

Never mind - we might be divided by our differing opinions, but we're united in sticking up for the characters we like! :)
This discussion has been closed.