Fear of death

Comments

• Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    If life has no inherent meaning or purpose, what do you create the meaning from?

Whatever you like I guess. What makes life worth living is different for different people.

If life does have an inherent meaning or purpose what exactly is it?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    If life has no inherent meaning or purpose, what do you create the meaning from?

From loving, from being loved, from watching a little brown bird feeding in the garden.
    Forum Member
    pna,,,,
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't fear death, in fact I welcome it.

Not a day goes by when I wish it will be my last. I certainly wouldn't jump in front of a bus, however if one was to mount the kerb and run into me for e.g. I certainly wouldn't flinch.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    From loving, from being loved, from watching a little brown bird feeding in the garden.

Then isn't that inherent meaning, inherent in life itself?

If there were absolutely no meaning, then what is be created would be only a fantasy or delusion, as I see it.
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely fear death. I can keep the fear under control now, but I went through a phase of being terrified to go to sleep at night in case I didn't wake up. I know that if I died in my sleep it would probably be fairly peaceful and I'd not be aware of it, but thats kind of precisely what frightened me... if that makes any sense.

I even used to go to sleep with a daft 'goodbye' note next to my bed, for whomever might have the misfortune of finding my lifeless body in the morning! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely fear death. I can keep the fear under control now, but I went through a phase of being terrified to go to sleep at night in case I didn't wake up. I know that if I died in my sleep it would probably be fairly peaceful and I'd not be aware of it, but thats kind of precisely what frightened me... if that makes any sense.

I even used to go to sleep with a daft 'goodbye' note next to my bed, for whomever might have the misfortune of finding my lifeless body in the morning! :eek:

That is deep. I only fear suffering, not death itself.

That is not to say I would not react if someone pointed a gun at me, but that would be a biological reaction.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    Im scared of dieing before i have done certain things. One of these im getting to do next year, so my list is nearly complete now i think about it!!

is the 'list' ever really completed?

my dad was 74 when he died and he was pissed off that it was his time, he'd known for months, way before the rest of us and still made plans to travel. Unfortunately he collapsed a week before he could get to the airport.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is deep. I only fear suffering, not death itself.

That is not to say I would not react if someone pointed a gun at me, but that would be a biological reaction.

Yes, I think most of us would. I have no fear of being dead and if someone did blow my brains out it wouldn't actually matter that I hadn't done everything in life I wanted to as I believe my consciousness would cease when I died. That doesn't mean I don't want to make the ride last as long as possible first though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't fear death but i'd worry about leaving my kids behind
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HayleyXD wrote: »
    At night I get this crippling fear of death and not being here anymore and the uncertainty of not knowing what happens after we pass away.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any words of comfort, they'd be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Ponder on Faith.

It'll make you feel better :)
    Forum Member
    Then isn't that inherent meaning, inherent in life itself?

If there were absolutely no meaning, then what is be created would be only a fantasy or delusion, as I see it.

No Those things are not delusions but I (or we) have given them meaning and words. A little brown bird is not a delusion but what meaning does it have until a conscious mind gives one to it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Those things are not delusions but I (or we) have given them meaning and words. A little brown bird is not a delusion but what meaning does it have until a conscious mind gives one to it?

woah deep! :)
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At night I get this crippling fear of death and not being here anymore and the uncertainty of not knowing what happens after we pass away.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any words of comfort, they'd be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Hi Hayley. They may find a cure for it before you die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Whatever you like I guess. What makes life worth living is different for different people.

If life does have an inherent meaning or purpose what exactly is it?

42, I thought everyone knew that. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Seriously Hayley, you are not very likely to simply die in your sleep unless you have sort of undiagnosed illness, so stop worrying.

You are far more likely to be killed by a knife wielding rapist as you leave the house one morning, or be shot in a bungled robbery. You will probably die a painful death as you are hit by a car driven by a drunk or something like that.

Cheer up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously Hayley, you are not very likely to simply die in your sleep unless you have sort of undiagnosed illness, so stop worrying.

You are far more likely to be killed by a knife wielding rapist as you leave the house one morning, or be shot in a bungled robbery. You will probably die a painful death as you are hit by a car driven by a drunk or something like that.

Cheer up.

:D:D or get so eaten up by cancer that you can't eat, wee or poo without a tube.

see, dying in your sleep's not so bad!
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May as well bring the D Day forward then.

Or are you chicken?

Nah, life's too short too worry about death. Experience what you can and then embrace the finale. I don't fear the inevitable but will happily delay it until the time is right. That will be when I've accomplished my goals, experienced enough and am of no use to anyone. Of course I could get hit by a truck or get seriously ill but that's one of life's lotteries....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That little brown bird has its own meaning inherent in the universe. :) But it's sweet of you to notice it, aww.
  • HayleyXDHayleyXD Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheer up.

At least i'd be getting some action before I die then....:rolleyes:
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

I get this sometimes, when I am depressed.

I can definitely relate.

I'm not religious, so death is very uncertain to me- it sort of hinges on my own theories, and that can be quite scary.

You certainly aren't the only one though.
    Forum Member
    That seems to be the general feeling. It's not death that scares most people but the manner in which death occurs.

That's the general feeling is it?

And here's me worrying about what the hell will happen in the eternity after that!

I suppose I must be a minority out of the 6 billion you surveyed? :p
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    That's the general feeling is it?

And here's me worrying about what the hell will happen in the eternity after that!

I suppose I must be a minority out of the 6 billion you surveyed? :p
    I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire planet, just stating the general feeling I get from reading the thread, which is that dying is more feared than death :p If I ever do carry out a world wide survey, I'll be sure to include you so as not to screw up the data ;)
    Forum Member
    I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire planet, just stating the general feeling I get from reading the thread, which is that dying is more feared than death :p If I ever do carry out a world wide survey, I'll be sure to include you so as not to screw up the data ;)

You're probably right though- most people don't have the imagination for it. Nothing, eternally can sort of blow your mind. Probably why so many turn to religion, amongst other reasons...
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear of death is fear to live.