Artists who spend their time slating other artists

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Who are the worst for this? I'd say Katy Perry is right at the top, with Example close behind.

I've never got the point of artists having this kind of attitude. They should all let their music speak for itself. What do they gain from being so negative all the time? And it's tedious, to boot.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you to an extent-in some ways,it's good that people are honest and not sucking up just for the fear of offending anyone. On the other hand,like you say OP,if they continue to do it for no real reason other than to look cool,one day they're going to piss off the wrong person and may be their careers will suffer.

I'll add M.I.A.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I love her, but Christina throws shade on other artists for a hobby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's good that people are honest and not sucking up just for the fear of offending anyone. On the other hand,like you say OP,if they continue to do it for no real reason other than to look cool,one day they're going to piss off the wrong person and may be their careers will suffer.

Exactly.

I like a bit of honesty in an industry that's all about kissing arse but people can take it too far. When someone's name is in the public eye for slagging off other people more than for the quality of their music, they're taking it too far.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are the worst for this? I'd say Katy Perry is right at the top, with Example close behind.

I've never got the point of artists having this kind of attitude. They should all let their music speak for itself. What do they gain from being so negative all the time? And it's tedious, to boot.

it gets them publicity. it ties them to another more established name, or popular name at the time and gets them in the news, then they get noticed for what they do
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oasis, but they were still doing it when they were the most popular band in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry is a hypocrite and puts me off her!

I know of Example going off the rails (but some i think deservedly so)

Mariah freakin Carey, which also puts me off her. (partic. Madonna, Christina, Whitney to name a few)

Courtney Love Vs The World!

Eminem kinda did, he has calmed down a bit however.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

Mariah freakin Carey, which also puts me off her. (partic. Madonna, Christina, Whitney to name a few)

Oh please, Madonna slagged off enough people in her time, including Mariah.
    and Christina gives as good as she gets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please, Madonna slagged off enough people in her time, including Mariah.
    and Christina gives as good as she gets.

touch a nerve??
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Lily Allen used to be notorious for it. She seems to have piped down lately though.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    touch a nerve??

Nope just don't like Madonna :p
    And I just think it's a bit strange to be put off Katy and Mariah for slagging people off but worship Madonna and Christina wheb they "allegedly" do it too.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    That woman from LaRoux (Elly Jackson I think her name was?) became very well known for hating everyone and being a seriously horrible woman, and she's completely disappeared because of all the fans LaRoux lost because of it (including myself).
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lily Allen used to be notorious for it. She seems to have piped down lately though.

Taking maternity leave from slagging folks off?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some artists who do objective slating, go after anyone and make me laugh. The Oasis brothers (not during the Britpop period though because then the media kept trying to provoke them and it went unfunny), Boy George, Nicky Wire, Pink and a few others tend to shade very well. They're saying what they think.

Since the rise of social networking in this country there have been a few gobshites (usually middle class Londoners) who just cannot shut up and always attack really 'safe' targets to get column inches. Lily Allen, La Roux, Kate Nash, Dappy, Example and a few others I can't be bothered to remember are like this and Cheryl Cole was a lot like it before her transformation to media princess. They're attention seeking media parasites and get on my tits.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Taking maternity leave from slagging folks off?

She grew up, which is what the others need to do. No-one needs to be sucking up to other acts, but the sort of nastiness displayed by some acts is juvenile.

I notice Example only slags off females, so juvenile and a coward.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wasn't too on-the-pulse with the music scene at the time Lily Allen debuted, so I'd never heard her music. Literally all I knew of her was that every day or so a new article would appear on the site's front page detailing how she'd 'slammed someone new ('slam' being Digitalspy's favourite verb ever).
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I like it if it's lighthearted, funny or witty.:)

I've never minded P!nk doing it because she's always made it easy to like, á la the Stupid Girls video (Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton) or the Funhouse Tour performance of Don't Let Me Get Me (Deliberately making a show of miming the Britney Spears line, saying Britney is ''so crazy'').:D
    Abother one is Eminem. Alright, some of it isn't very smart (like the new Lady GaGa line) but the one about Britney in The Real Slim Shady was alright.:cool:

I don't like it when it's dumb, bitchy or hypocritical.:rolleyes:

That's when it stops being funny. For example, Katy Perry obviously haveing a jab at Britney for product placement and then playing Let's Dance on the Wii for a minute of her Last Friday Night video.
    Another one regarding Britney is XTina slagging her off for miming, and then miming at the VMAs in 2008, or saying that Britney isn't a real artist and trailer trash but then being friends again after her album flops and her tour is cancelled.:rolleyes:
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Elly Jackson from La Roux used to be the worst for this, but she seems to have vanished recently. Example is probably the most annoying one at the moment. I like his music, but he seems to dedicate SO much time to slagging other people off.
  • MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Elly Jackson seemed a bit self-important and rude.

MIA is in a league of her own when it comes to arrogance and criticising other more successful than her in order to gain media attention. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Example isn't slagging off anyone. Why do people these day use "slagging", "slating" and "slamming" so often? All Example is doing is having fun and making jokes. If you think that's "slagging off" - well, then it's your own problem.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That criticism was delivered in a more 'tongue in cheek' or 'humorous' tone particularly with N Sync, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera during the song 'The Real Slim Shady.' fierce criticism he delivered also during that as well as in an interview was towards Will Smith. This was because Will Smith said that 'Gangsta Rap was whack.' During the interview Eminem suggested that it is 'fine for Will Smith to rap about birds, bees and flowers' but do not criticise what Dr Dre, Notorious B.I.G, Tupac and Jay Z have done as it is rap with a conscience about important issues such as race and the position of the African American within American society itself and it's establishment.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Moireen wrote: »
    Example isn't slagging off anyone. Why do people these day use "slagging", "slating" and "slamming" so often? All Example is doing is having fun and making jokes. If you think that's "slagging off" - well, then it's your own problem.

Having fun and making jokes is one thing, but the people he is supposedly having a fun laugh about obviously think it's not funny, and have made that clear to him. So when does having a laugh at the expense of someone who you know is upset about it cross the line? In a workplace or school situation that would be construed as bullying.
  • Bettie_BooBettie_Boo Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Lady Gaga to be the biggest bitch. Its common knowledge in the industry that she uses her best buddie Perez Hilton to be a mouth piece on her behalf.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    There's a big difference, imo, between the two people mentioned in the OP.
    Katy has made digs at Gaga and Britney, and was completely unprofessional over Twitter when Calvin Harris pulled out of her tour, only to turn around and act innocent when she gets pulled up on it. Not to mention how hypocritical she's been over certain comments.
    Example has made a few jokes, that's all. Sorry, but if you think joking that Alexandra Burke is 41, saying The Saturdays should be wearing sunglasses and holding champagne bottles in their Notorious video, or saying The Wanted look like Hollyoaks extras is 'slating', or 'bullying', as another poster has implied, you're probably too sensitive to be using the internet.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Bettie_Boo wrote: »
    I find Lady Gaga to be the biggest bitch. Its common knowledge in the industry that she uses her best buddie Perez Hilton to be a mouth piece on her behalf.

The only person who thinks they're 'best buddies' is Perez himself. But I must congratulate you for managing to criticize her in a thread where there's no evidence of her getting involved in conflicts with other artists. Just not enough plagiarism or 'her time is up' threads these days.
  • The Drunk DietThe Drunk Diet Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Bettie_Boo wrote: »

I think it's just you dear. ;)