Why is the ITV Player so rubbish?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
I just tried to use it for the first time as I wanted to watch the interview John Barrowman and Eve Myles did on Daybreak yesterday but it crashed my browser (Google Chrome) twice and wouldn't play properly when I was able to get it to start playing. It wasn't buffering, it was just freezing a lot though the audio was still going.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a more worthless piece of softwear. I've never had this problem with any other online video player.

How come ITV don't seem to know how worthless their player is, and, if they do know, why haven't they tried to fix it or given up altogether?

I'm quite shocked at just how bad it is, actually, despite having read other posters ranting about it.

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and ITV are going to start to charge for it in the new year, im sure you will second in line for that, me benig first in line of course ;)
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually its a problem with Google chrome, Itv player works fine in Internet Explorer I use both btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually its a problem with Google chrome, Itv player works fine in Internet Explorer I use both btw.

Really? I've never had the problem with the iPlayer or Youtube or any other player, like I've said. Chrome has always worked fine for me.

I haven't used IE in goodness knows how long but I'll give it a try in that and see if it's any better.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for what its worth, if you plan to charge for a website, you really shouldnt limit it to just those people who use IE, it should be useableo on the other browsers as well.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Player has been crap since it started, because ITV didn't want to invest money in something they didn't think would take off, but with the success of iPlayer they're now left with a legacy of a crap, underinvested, system which they will need to either seriously invest some money into in order to bring in extra revenue for this subscription system, or they will have to admit that they got it wrong

either way, ITV Player is never going to be "as good" as iPlayer because ITV don't want to take a risk (which is understandable, but unfortunate for their market position)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I've never had the problem with the iPlayer or Youtube or any other player, like I've said. Chrome has always worked fine for me.

I haven't used IE in goodness knows how long but I'll give it a try in that and see if it's any better.

ITV player has issues with a few browsers - Firefox isn't too keen on it either. I also get the same problem with Skyplayer but that works fine in IE. It's just lazy programming and they expect users to conform to their standard rather than designing a player that conforms to the user's browser. It's not right but so many businesses do it - even Tesco internet shopping has issues with Firefox.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I viewed itv player on the telly direct from the modem - like the site (easy to navigate) and the picture quality was fine.
    However every so often the sound would drop, followed by a "freeze" - then a sign came up saying "your b/b connection might not be fast enough" - then it would buffer and carry on.

Oh, my fault then.

Funny I've never had any problems with BBC player in HQ, or Youtube on the telly.....
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV I player is due to be replaced with a new version in the next few months and I believe the guy behind the BBC I player will be in charge of sorting it out.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always watch ITV programmes on demand on STV Player: http://player.stv.tv/

It is so much better and user-friendly. Next time you want to watch an ITV programme online, have a go on there. I've not had a problem on it at all, unlike ITV Player which always has problems.