Joe McElderry Comeback. New album "Classic" out on August 22nd

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Because there is absolutely no objectivity whatsoever in the X-Factor forum when it comes to talking about this guy and every attempt to debate is stifled by uber fans who want nothing less than universal blind adoration, I thought I'd try starting a thread here and see if actual constructive criticism is allowed without being automatically shot down.

I'd like to know what regular music fans think about Joe McElderry's second chance and what they think of him doing classical crossover covers rather than the kind of pop he did on his Wide Away album under Syco.

Hideous album cover aside, I think this is the kind of music he should have been doing all along and I was impressed with what little I saw of him on Popstar to Opera Star. This album is based off his success off the back of him winning that show and although I'm surprised at how fast it's been rushed out, I think it's better to strike while the iron is hot than leave someone sitting on the shelf for years until everyone's forgotten them.

Anyway, I'll be giving the album a listen but what's going to be interesting is seeing what happens to Joe after this album. Some people are suggesting he wants to continue making pop music. I think this will be a massive mistake because in my opinion he's not remotely cut out to be a pop star and that's largely why he bombed when he tried it (that, and lack of promotion).

If anyone from the X-Factor forum does come over here, please remember that this isn't an appreciation thread and objectivity and constructive critique is heavily encouraged. If all you want to do is give Joe glowing praise, the X-Factor forum already has threads full of that.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like pop, I like opera, most vocal classical music actually. But crossover isn't really my thing. I think there is a lot of competition there, you need an USP that differentiates you from the others and make people buy your album and not somebody else's. We'll see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of competition there, you need an USP that differentiates you from the others

I've always thought this was Joe's biggest problem along - he has no identity as a music artist/performer. Someone described him as a "voice for hire" and I think that's a perfect description.

Joe is still really young, though, so maybe in time he'll learn more about who he is artistically. He's had some good experience with the realism of the music industry, and maybe after this classical crossover stuff he should go away for a while and work out exactly what kind of artist he is. I think, until then, he's not going to be very credible to many people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Joe has found the kind of music he wants to do with this album. I head his rendition of 'Dance With My Father' on the radio, and it's ten times better than anything on 'Wide Awake.' If 'Classic' is a success then I think he would be stupid to go back to his previous style. I hope he does well, but releasing it on the same day as Will Young's new album is a BIG mistake (although the intended audience will be different).
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because there is absolutely no objectivity whatsoever in the X-Factor forum when it comes to talking about this guy and every attempt to debate is stifled by uber fans who want nothing less than universal blind adoration, I thought I'd try starting a thread here and see if actual constructive criticism is allowed without being automatically shot down.

What else would you expect from people who watch X Factor?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Joe should be releasing albums.. not yet anyway

He should concerntrate on a career in theatre, he reminds me of someone like Michael ball :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    What else would you expect from people who watch X Factor?

Oh, I expect it, but I've never seen ANYONE as adoringly blind as Joe McElderry fans and got so fed up of it I wanted to try and see if it was possible to be objective on another section of the board. Working so far. :)
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I expect it, but I've never seen ANYONE as adoringly blind as Joe McElderry fans and got so fed up of it I wanted to try and see if it was possible to be objective on another section of the board. Working so far. :)

Joe McElderry has fans??? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    Joe McElderry has fans??? :confused:

Go into any thread about him on the X-Factor forum and the uber fans take over. They're the most defensive, blind fanbase I think I've ever seen. You can't have anything that resembles a proper conversation with any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This album should have been his first after the X-factor. from his time on the show it was very obvious to me that Joe doesn't have the calibre to be a Pop star. I don't know if it's anything to do with his coming out but they clearly tried to turn him into a cross between a 'teen' version of Will Young and a 'classy' version of Jake Shears. It just didn't work and it shows they didn't know how to market him and which music would suit him. Releasing this album first would have make sense and open to similar opportunities to P2O minus the failed pop music tag he had to carry with him.
    I hope he'll be a bit more sound and pragmatic than that and use the fact people - and by people I mean mainly those from the Industry rather than the general public - saw a different side to him as a vocalist to play his cards well. I think he should give a go at a career in Musical Theatre. He's got the voice for it and he's reminding me too a bit of Michael Ball.
    If he's seriously considering reviving his (pop) music career, he should probably spend some time experimenting with different sounds and perhaps have some things to say before coming back with an album of a brand new material otherwise he might flop again miserably.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have to agree with the op. it is irrelevant what people think of the x factor. there is without a doubt, absolutely no objectivity whatsoever in that forum when i comes to joe. i quit contributing a while back. it was completely futile.

in fact, there is an albeit small group of joe fans. that rule by sticking together. anything and i mean anything objective written is jumped on almost immediately.

it is appropriate there is a thread on this release, it is a music album afterall. not so people can mock and make baseless observations. or for it to be a place to bash joe`s `career`. although, everyone is entitled to an opinion and should feel free to post what they want.

if anyone is interested in his new album. the track list is here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a334727/joe-mcelderry-unveils-classic-album-tracklist.html
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe has lots of fans we don't care what people say he is a great singer I agree that he is not a pop star.
    But he could have a crossover pop/classical career like michael ball or russell watson can't wait to see what he does.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion this won't be a huge album for him, infact I can't even see this selling as much as his first if I'm honest. He isn't an opera singer, people didn't take to him as a pop singer so really he's not appealing to any market. Rhydian couldn't even gain lots of success and he had a much better operatic voice, so Joe will struggle in my opinion.

The best route for Joe would be musical theatre. He'd excel at that.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion this won't be a huge album for him, infact I can't even see this selling as much as his first if I'm honest. He isn't an opera singer, people didn't take to him as a pop singer so really he's not appealing to any market. Rhydian couldn't even gain lots of success and he had a much better operatic voice, so Joe will struggle in my opinion.

The best route for Joe would be musical theatre. He'd excel at that.

i agree. although, say that in the x factor forum at your peril! his new album is out next week. i think it is aimed at the fans, so presumably it will do well? however, he is a talented guy and deserves another chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i agree. although, say that in the x factor forum at your peril! his new album is out next week. i think it is aimed at the fans, so presumably it will do well? however, he is a talented guy and deserves another chance.

I don't know why people over there think that going into theatre is bad. I think it would be an excellent career move. His name is now big enough to draw in the crowds. I think it would be good.
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck. If everyone who bought his first album buys this one it will still flop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was about to create a separate thread for this, but it is part of the album.

Universal launched a new official website. Very solid from them, and looks great!

http://joemcelderryofficial.com/

On the website, there are 5 long preview tracks.

I am actually surprised at how well the songs are coming across. He sounds fantastic, and loving it.

With this album, Universal is doing a good job with what Joe is about as an artist.

Given what Joe fans have been through, I highly doubt they are "adorably blind". :rolleyes: That is more of other acts. ;)
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    He's gone from the frying pan of Syco into the fire of Universal. Yes they are backing him, they see £ signs off the back of PSTOS. As far as his future is concerned, this will be the death of his pop star ambitions.

I agree about Rhydian, who has a truly powerful operatic voice. I'm not saying Joe doesn't have a good voice, he does, especially for musicals in the future, which is where I think he will end up. I feel sad for him though, he is being exploited, not nurtured, in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved his debut album, full of great pop tunes that many failed to appreciate. Not too keen on him doing a cover of classics. He has a good voice and is a great pop star, had this been the 90's, then he would have faired better. Seems he's not deemed cool enough to like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Ambitions was bloody excellent. I think a career on stage would be best for Joe however, I could see him playing Danny in Grease
  • tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go into any thread about him on the X-Factor forum and the uber fans take over. They're the most defensive, blind fanbase I think I've ever seen. You can't have anything that resembles a proper conversation with any of them.

I think Matt Cardle's fans are actually much worse, but agree it was a good move to try a discussion here.

I'm wondering if you think Joe is not cut out to be a pop star based purely on the material on Wide Awake, or is it also to do with his stage presence, audience appeal, etc? Like a couple of other recent posters, I think that release is underrated.

Obviously, many of Joe's X Factor fans didn't care for it. I'm not suggesting it would have been a smash hit even if was promoted better. I suppose as a whole it does have a bit of a feeling of someone trying on an outfit in front of a mirror to see if it fits.

I'd guess there's a good chance you are right that Classic is a better direction for Joe to take career-wise. Music-wise, I don't know. I'm a huge fan of opera and both old and new classical music, as well as pop, urban, and rock. The crossover genre doesn't really appeal to me because it's neither fish nor fowl. I don't know anything about the audience for it—whether it would tend to be fickle or loyal for instance. The best thing for Joe would be to establish a fan base that will stay with him beyond this release.

I just have a suspicion that what he really needs is time to develop himself as an artist, outside the spotlight—but that's impossible due to his X Factor history. Maybe the comment above that he shouldn't be releasing anything right now is the closest to my gut feeling.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you don't want me to post on here but I often wonder why it is necessary to put a singer in a box either marked "classical", or "pop", or "jazz" etc etc. Why can't artists go from one genre to another without being castigated?

I am a Will Young fan and loved it when he sang jazz at Ronnie Scott's a few years ago. Now with his new album he is trying electro/dance (or whatever it's called).

No reason why Joe shouldn't changed genres.

One thing I have heard about his first album was that it was over-produced. Is that true? I haven't actually heard it myself.

I am buying both Will and Joe's albums!
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe is a very likeable young man with a better than average voice and no musical identity whatsoever.
    Someone at SYCO gave him a handful of songs for an album that didn't work, now someone at his new label has given him a handful of covers, most already done to death, because they hope to make a few bob for very little outlay.

This is the problem with shows like XFactor, the audience vote for the best voice covering well known tracks and sometimes that just isn't enough. It happened to Shayne too, another guy with a brilliant voice and a nice personality, but just like Joe, no musical identity either.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain "musical identity"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just what the world needs another covers album:sleep:
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Explain "musical identity"!
    Well for an identity in music as a singer there's usually what are you best known for other than having a good voice? Little Joe has had a bash at lots of different genre's of music in less than a year.
    Who is he as an artist?
    What does he have to say?
    What sets him apart from other singers?
    What's his unique selling point?