Options

Replacing window pane, insurance?

AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
Forum Member
✭✭
The frosted pane of our downstairs cloakroom double glazed window has shattered for no apparent reason. It measures approx 15"x 2'6".

We have accidental damage to buildings in our insurance but there is an excess of £100.

Could anyone give me an rough idea of how much it is likely to cost to replace and if it is worth going through insurance or if it wouldn't be a lot dearer to get a glazier in to repair it.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its double glazed it's easy enough to change yourself...your probably looking around £40 - £50

I paid £65 for a double glazed unit supply only which was 4ft X 6ft.....clear glass

ring around and ask your local double glazing companies for a price.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should easily be able to get that replaced for less than £100 even with fitting.
  • Options
    AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks TheMask and Keefy-boy, I will make a few phone calls and see what they say.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Much better to have it done yourself, not only will you have a £100 excess, they will load your premium for the next 5 years.

In 2008 I had a £5k buildings claim, the next year they tried to hike the premium by 30%.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aquajaney wrote: »
    We have accidental damage to buildings in our insurance

Yes, but there needs to have been an accident. If it shattered for no apparent reason (e.g. because of an inherent defect in the window) you probably can't claim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, but there needs to have been an accident. If it shattered for no apparent reason (e.g. because of an inherent defect in the window) you probably can't claim.

:D
    Reminds me of the time I went into the bathroom and found the window shattered and a pear lying on the floor! It was too far for anyone to have thrown it with that amount of force, so the only explanation we could think of was that one of the local rooks (we have packs of them round here) had been flying along with it and had dropped it! The insurance company actually believed it and replaced the window.