Options

Emmerdale must take responsibility

LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
Forum Member
✭✭
I cannot believe what I am watching regarding the sexual assault on Aleisha.

The writers have a responsibility to think about what they are showing.

If the victim of a similar (or worse) attack is currently watching they will now think twice about reporting the incident, meaning offenders will not be prosecuted.

Whoever is writing this current storyline is responsible for future rapists not being prosecuted and committing further crimes, how can he/she sleep at night.

It doesn't matter if he is brought to justice - the victim has now been branded a paedophile.

Comments

• Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's only been called a paedophile by his deluded stupid mother.

And there's no use pretending to any assault or future assault victims that it's easy as pie to get a conviction. It isn't - it's damn near impossible - look at the statistics - and ED are simply reflecting that.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read an interview with the actress, and she says that the majority of the village believe her about what he did. I think a few ask questions but it looks like that she is believed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the victim of a similar (or worse) attack is currently watching they will now think twice about reporting the incident, meaning offenders will not be prosecuted.

Whoever is writing this current storyline is responsible for future rapists not being prosecuted and committing further crimes, how can he/she sleep at night.

It doesn't matter if he is brought to justice - the victim has now been branded a paedophile.

1. Don't blame the writers, or even the storyliners Ultimately they're all following the producer's orders.
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    He's only been called a paedophile by his deluded stupid mother.
    2. He isn't the victim. :confused:
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see any problems with the storyline so far
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If whats his face is on police bail any direct or indirect contact with the victim breaks it..thats 2 counts now
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's only been called a paedophile by his deluded stupid mother.

And there's no use pretending to any assault or future assault victims that it's easy as pie to get a conviction. It isn't - it's damn near impossible - look at the statistics - and ED are simply reflecting that.

Agree OJ.

I don't understand why soaps are expected to be black and white nowadays and can't tell a story with grey areas without having to feel overly responsible. Any other type of drama surely wouldn't have the pressure to conform and feel responsible, though I suppose it's down to the timeslot and the amount of viewers the shows can attract. To me though, the only thing these type of shows have a responsibility to do in my eyes is to entertain. I do understand the OP's point though but think it's too early to come to a conclusion yet, as is the way with these storylines I think it's pretty much safe to assume that by the story's end, a resolution will have been reached to bring justice and end the storyline on as much of a positive note as possible for the victim.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

2. He isn't the victim. :confused:
    Edited now. Obviously I meant 'She'.
  • Options
    immusicimmusic Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you make that out?? :confused:

Unfortunately, only a tiny minority of sexual assaults ever result in convictions anyway, and even then only when there's overwhelming evidence against the perpetrator. Otherwise it comes down to one person's word against the other and when there's doubt, the offender goes free. If Lachlan does get off scott free and commits more crimes, I'd say Emmerdale is being unfortunately horribly true to life.

From what I've read
    at some point he shows remorse for what he has done, so he will probably confess all and be redeemed somehow.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    immusic wrote: »

Unfortunately, only a tiny minority of sexual assaults ever result in convictions anyway, and even then only when there's overwhelming evidence against the perpetrator. Otherwise it comes down to one person's word against the other and when there's doubt, the offender goes free. If Lachlan does get off scott free and commits more crimes, I'd say Emmerdale is being unfortunately horribly true to life.

From what I've read
    at some point he shows remorse for what he has done, so he will probably confess all and be redeemed somehow.
    I'd say that's inviteable unless the actor isn't planning on staying in the show.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great storyline issue well done Corrie
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So any writer who depicts a murder is responsible for future murders, then? What utter nonsense. Writers have a responsibility to write compelling drama - and that's where their responsibility ends.
  • Options
    red_amberred_amber Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer the way Emmerdale has handled this storyline to Eastenders, who seem to be making it up as they go along. I have a feeling we will get a satisfying conclusion with Emmerdale's SL.
  • Options
    malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great storyline issue well done Corrie

Don't you mean well done Emmerdale? :D
  • Options
    wwinterjwwinterj Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The storyline is being true to real life. It's not easy to get a conviction. However the storyline will show that those who come forward about these issues will have the love and support of their friends and family in a difficult time. You seem to be jumping the gun a bit. Let the storyline play out before you start throwing about accusations.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    immusic wrote: »

From what I've read
    Well, if that happens, I hope Alisha NEVER speaks to Chrissie ever again and hounds the family from the village. I would NEVER forgive someone for calling me that
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that is the White/Sugden quartet written out of Emmerdale within the year...............As if anyone would want to be neighbours with a sexual predator and a scheming murderer, never mind the pathetic blinkered Chrissie, and her father (the appalling attitude to a sex offence.......throw money at it to go away)..............Even the Tates, Kings, Wyldes and Maceys made less mess each in their first few years
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    So any writer who depicts a murder is responsible for future murders, then? What utter nonsense. Writers have a responsibility to write compelling drama - and that's where their responsibility ends.

Errrr no, you don't seem to have grasped what I said.
    The way the VICTIM has been treated by the police and called a paedophile in the street COULD put future victims off reporting a sex crime.
    Sorry you feel that is utter nonsense, I feel it is very serious.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    She's only been called a paedophile by his deluded stupid mother.

I completely agree.

Yes of course it is horrible but in reality most sexual offenders will deny it and turn it on the victim in some way. Unfortunately those closest to the attacker, especially a mother will want to believe the best of them and and also probably turn on the attacker. Plus in this case, there is the issue of the attacker being underage which clouds matters re responsibility if there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether it was consensual. The Police have to follow through the defendants side of things, if they didn't any defence barrister would rip the case to shreds in Court. Not quite Broadchurch style but they'll go for any weak links be that Police procedure or the victims history.

Of course victims shouldn't be put off coming forward but they also shouldn't be lead to believe that they'll just be believed by everybody straight away and not have to face ugly and hurtful counter accusations and inferences, by others they know (specially if in the same social group as the attacker where people will know both and 'take sides') or in Court should it get that far as that is equally harmful in my view.

It is a really fine line to tread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    If whats his face is on police bail any direct or indirect contact with the victim breaks it..thats 2 counts now

He's not on Police bail is he? Didn't they just bring him in for questioning on Friday without charging him? Unless i missed it.

ETA

Not that i'm saying it is okay for him or his family to contact, let alone intimidate Alicia but won't actually be breaking the law if he hasn't been charged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The way the VICTIM has been treated by the police and called a paedophile in the street COULD put future victims off reporting a sex crime.

The Police did not call her a pedophile - they asked her questions which arose from Lachlan's statement such as him drinking alcohol in the flat. They have to do that as part of the investigation. Of course it is horrible and unfair on the victim but the Police have a responsibility to look into everything that comes up, and that includes the attackers 'defence'. They must do this for several reasons, sometimes false accusations are made and they need to do their best to wheedle them out before tax payers money is wasted on a trial and a falsely accused man goes through hell and secondly because the CPS need to have the full picture as to what they will be facing in court should they proceed. Again it is putting everybody through pain and wasting a fortune in tax payers money to go ahead with little or no chance of conviction. Finally, anything like this will come up again in Court and the victim needs to be prepared for it.

The only, only person to have accused her of being a paedophile is the accused's mother and whilst it is nasty, it is believable a mother would react like that so true to life.

A friend of mine was the foreperson on a Rape trial and she said she'll never forget the look on the Accused's mothers face when she had to stand up and deliver the 'Guilty' verdict. She then saw her again in town a couple of years later and this woman didn't say anything but again looked at her with hatred. Unpleasant, but as my friend says, as a mother of a man, she understood why this woman would feel like that and remember the face of the person sho was partially responsible for sending her boy to Prison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but they only write for storylines that have been suggested and ultimately approved by the producer. She has control over what's aired. The buck stops with her when enough complaints are voiced (as they have been now Ofcom are involved).
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good storyline and very well acted. It shows that sexual assaults are not black and white, that there are lots of mitigating factors.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Alicia and David ought to go to the police and report Lawrence trying to buy them off....

That should set alarm bells ringing - but then again this is Hotten's Finest we're talking about
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true that Ofcom have become involved? If so, some people need to really get a life.

The Whites are really showing their true colours aren't they? Hate to say I told you so, but I knew Lawrence would try to buy them off, I did think that Robert may have been the voice of reason, but he was swiftly put in his place, agree with us or out on your ear mate. Chrissie is very unpleasant, shouting and screaming in the street, very classy. Such a shame they couldn't have found an actor to play her as good as the one they found to play her son. Although Lurky did not speak his creepy look at Alicia was quite chilling. I hate the way Chrissie keeps calling him "Lucky", if ever a child was misnamed it has to be him!

Hope Lawrence doesn't leave, doesn't he have another daughter that hasn't been introduced yet?
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I'm sorry but I maintain your assertion is tommyrot. You sought to blame writers and storyliners for future sexual assaults. That is nonsense in anyone's book. The only people responsible for future sexual assaults will be the perpetrators themselves. Blaming the box in the corner for society's ills is as old as television itself. It's always been been a cop out.