Car Advice needed!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a 2001 Fiat Punto which has developed a issue with 5th gear. Everytime I change into 5th, doing a speed to maintain it of course, the car starts to jolt and will only stop when I change back down to 4th. Anyone got an ideas what this might be?

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the car run smoothly in all other gears? No jerking/jumping etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems ok in the other gears its just 5th that's the problem. It judders badly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Without wanting to be rude, are you selecting 5th at a suitable speed for the car?

Has it just started doing this or has the car always done it?
    Can the fault be replicated in any other gear at the same engine or road speeds?

Best suggestion from the info given is either the gearbox has some kind of fault or there is possibly a broken engine/gearbox mount, but it's a very odd fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above!

That's why I asked about other gears, if there was a serious fault it should be present in all gears.

Does it do it if you do, say, 60mph in 4th then change up to 5th?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has only been doing this for the past few months. I always make sure I'm doing the correct speed to maintain 5th, which is usually over 60mph. The fault occurs when I'm doing this speed and then change up to 5th. Its not replicated at any other speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allyackles wrote: »
    It has only been doing this for the past few months. I always make sure I'm doing the correct speed to maintain 5th, which is usually over 60mph. The fault occurs when I'm doing this speed and then change up to 5th. Its not replicated at any other speed.

Well, without driving the car...here are a few possibilities...

You could have a misfire, car running on 3 cylinders which isn't noticed until you get to 5th gear.

You could have a tyre that is out of shape and only shows up at 5th gear speeds...a possible wheel balance problem as well.

You could have a suspension fault.

As mentioned above, a possible gearbox or engine mounting fault.

A wheel bearing fault.

A gearbox fault.

Without driving the car I can't think of much else!

I suggest you get a mechanic to drive the car with you as a passenger to point out your issues.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its possible you have a gearbox fault IE chipped or broken tooth on the 5th gear cluster -- very very rare !

Are you sure it pulls ok in the 4th under load ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Well, without driving the car...here are a few possibilities...

You could have a misfire, car running on 3 cylinders which isn't noticed until you get to 5th gear.

You could have a tyre that is out of shape and only shows up at 5th gear speeds...a possible wheel balance problem as well.

You could have a suspension fault.

As mentioned above, a possible gearbox or engine mounting fault.

A wheel bearing fault.

A gearbox fault.

Without driving the car I can't think of much else!

I suggest you get a mechanic to drive the car with you as a passenger to point out your issues.

Ok thanks so much for the advice. I will get it to a garage to be looked at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    Its possible you have a gearbox fault IE chipped or broken tooth on the 5th gear cluster -- very very rare !

Are you sure it pulls ok in the 4th under load ?

It seems fine in 4th. I think my best bet would be to get it to the garage to be looked at. Many thanks.