If Scotland Votes Yes, What Subsidies Will They Receive.....

Comments

• David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you mad, or just not following the discussion?

There are two possibilities:
    1. Scotland enters the EU straight away on independence and pretty much keeps the level of subsidies it gets, in return for its contribution to the EU.
    2. Scotland does not enter the EU straight away and therefore does not pay a contribution and does not receive subsidies. The EU countries like Spain do not have EU fishing rights to Scottish waters, so either Scotland catches and exports more fish, or it sells fishing rights to Spanish fishermen. The money saved from the contribution plus any money raised from fishing rights can be used to subsidise farmers, if it is so wished.

Genuine question: why on earth would you think that the members of the EU would sit back and watch their fishing industries suffer as a result of decisions taken by Scotland and accept that they can do nothing about it?

If Scotland wants to play silly buggers, the EU will slap on tariffs to ensure that any money lost, and benefits paid out by their members are ultimately recovered back from Scotland. And needless to say your chances of rejoining the EU would slide from possible to remote.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Genuine question: why on earth would you think that the members of the EU would sit back and watch their fishing industries suffer as a result of decisions taken by Scotland and accept that they can do nothing about it?

They CAN do something about it. Allow Scotland to continue in the EU!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »

Scotland aren't in the EU - so they can't continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So where do the current CAP payments and fishing quotas come from?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or could be sorted within the laid down timescale.

Not according to various EU officials and leaders such as the Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, the President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy and the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.

So who really knows what will happen .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where do the current CAP payments and fishing quotas come from?

They're paid by the EU to the UK.

Isn't it a bit late in the day to be having this debate?
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Scotland would not be in the EU, then how can the EU expect to have access to Scotlands fishing grounds. :confused: Why should they anyway even if they are in the EU all Scotland's fish should be theirs to catch. Why does the UK not get a share of Spains orange harvest. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're paid by the EU to the UK.

Isn't it a bit late in the day to be having this debate?

Scotland is currently part of the UK so how do you figure it's not in the EU? I am not arguing we will automatically stay in the EU but to say we are not in it now is just ludicrous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    If Scotland would not be in the EU, then how can the EU expect to have access to Scotlands fishing grounds. :confused:

A good question but here's a better one.

If Scotland is not a part of the EU, then how can Scotland expect to have access to the EU's trade network?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland is currently part of the UK so how do you figure it's not in the EU?

The EU did not sign separate agreements with individual parts of the UK.

If I, as a supplier, sign a deal with a company and one of the people in that company goes off and starts his own company - do I automatically say he already been signed up? Of course not. He now belongs to a different company and before I strike another deal I would like to know more about his company, his payment terms, his creditworthiness etc.

Exactly the same with Scotland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU did not sign separate agreements with individual parts of the UK.

No, but Scotland is part of the UK therefore part of the EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but Scotland is part of the UK therefore part of the EU.

Only for as long as it's part of the UK. The minute it leaves, it's no longer part of the EU. There is no deal that links Scotland (or England, Wales or Northern Ireland) to the EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only for as long as it's part of the UK. The minute it leaves, it's no longer part of the EU. There is no deal that links Scotland (or England, Wales or Northern Ireland) to the EU.

Ah, so your post quoted above was wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good question but here's a better one.

If Scotland is not a part of the EU, then how can Scotland expect to have access to the EU's trade network?

Is this how it worked for Romania and Bulgaria. Or Estonia perhaps.
    Did they get this frosty a welcome. Of course some in the EU hate the fact that Scotland might break away as it upsets their federal integration plans.Plus others dont like it as they have Catalonia or other regions that may want to do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so your post quoted above was wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

No - you've lost me. Which bit is wrong?
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland is only an EU member by virtue member state of the UK, which is a member.
    Scotland choosing to split from the UK would mean they would cease to be part of the EU member state.

Scotland would then have to apply to be an EU member in their own, and become a member on their own right for the first time. You cannot re-apply for something which you have never been yourself before.
    This also applies to England and Wales, who have never been EU members either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - you've lost me. Which bit is wrong?

Well one post says that Scotland aren't in the EU and the other says they are as long as they remain part of the UK so one is wrong.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well one post says that Scotland aren't in the EU and the other says they are as long as they remain part of the UK so one is wrong.

Scotland as a single entity are not in the EU, as part of the entity called the UK they are.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland aren't an EU member state.
    They are however currently in the EU as they are a member of the UK, which IS an EU member state.
    Scotland is choosing whether or not to leave the UK, leaving the UK would mean they would also be leaving the EU.

For Scotland to 're-apply', they would have had to have been a Member State before, which they have not.
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An independant Scotland is not in the EU. Only the United Kingdom is, of which at the moment Scotland is a part of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you knew what I meant. Scotland are not one of the 27 members states that make up the EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you knew what I meant. Scotland are not one of the 27 members states that make up the EU.

I think you know full well that I didn't claim that we were. I said we are currently part of the EU, that's all.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the UK remain in the EU for long though? I thought there was a referendum promised on that issue too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An independant Scotland is not in the EU. Only the United Kingdom is, of which at the moment Scotland is a part of.

Do people really think I don't know that? I just said that Scotland are currently part of the EU so if we were to become an independent member of the EU, we would be re-joining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you know full well that I didn't claim that we were. I said we are currently part of the EU, that's all.

What you did was imply that Scotland's partial status should not be a barrier to continued EU membership.

As has been pointed out to you, partial status counts for nothing.