Denise is being undermarked

Grade A LadGrade A Lad Posts: 228
Forum Member
I actually like Denise's routines. They are fun and she seems not a bad skater. I am hoping she gets some 16 or 17s next week.

I can see her making the Top 4 anyway because she will have a lot more people voting for her than most of the others :D

Go Denise :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I actually agree with this.

I'm not a fan, but I do think, for the most part, she is being undermarked.

I usually have a go at guessing the scores and every week so far, for every other contestant I have been right in the middle of the judges scores. But with Denise I always end up with a slightly higher mark than the judges give.

That is, until last night, where I was spot on. I did think she was a bit shakier than usual last night, but I may also have been influenced by the fact that I generally have overmarked and subconsciously marked her down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right too: Denise has for my money given performances that involve quite a decent amount of skating vs lifts, delivered with a reasonable degree of showmanship, and yet she struggles to get marks that reflect that.

I think some of it's to do with the song choices not reflecting her personality very well, so she's struggling to put them across. Didn't she get similar comments both this week and last about not having the right style of performance for her music?

I also don't think Matt's helping Denise's cause; he seems a bit dismissive and smug this series, not proud of what she's achieving at all.
  • Grade A LadGrade A Lad Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I agree. Last night wasn't as good but the week before I felt she should have got at least 5's across the board
  • HeraclitusDaysHeraclitusDays Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see her making the Top 4 anyway because she will have a lot more people voting for her than most of the others

I'd be disappointed if she made it to the top four because she isn't good enough. There are atleast four people better than her, no doubt.
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if she is undermarked or if certain others are over marked but I would put her in the middle just below the top 4 :)
    Forum Member
    I'd be disappointed if she made it to the top four because she isn't good enough. There are atleast four people better than her, no doubt.

If she is getting enough public votes, she has every right to be in the top 4:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she is getting enough public votes, she has every right to be in the top 4:)

Depends on how you view the show.

If you see it as a skating contest then most certainly....no on the basis of what we've seen so far. Vanilla Ice, Jeff, Laura, Sam, Chloe are all better than her. I'd say she's about 6/7th based on skating.

If you see it as an opportunity to take advantage of a pre-existing fan base then......yes indeed she might be in the top four. However, just because she is familiar and she has that pre-existing fan base doesn't make her a better character or person, she's just fortunate to have been around for years.
    Forum Member
    Depends on how you view the show.

If you see it as a skating contest then most certainly....no on the basis of what we've seen so far. Vanilla Ice, Jeff, Laura, Sam, Chloe are all better than her. I'd say she's about 6/7th based on skating.

If you see it as an opportunity to take advantage of a pre-existing fan base then......yes indeed she might be in the top four. However, just because she is familiar and she has that pre-existing fan base doesn't make her a better character or person, she's just fortunate to have been around for years.

Anyone who sees this show as a serious skating contest is deluded. It never was and never is. I vote on who I like. I'd much rather watch Denise than Sam as Sam leaves me cold and bored whereas Denise seems fun.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    I suppose we all see different thing's in different ppl I honestly think Denise is Cringworthy not just while Skating but while trying to Speak a Little Posh & thinking she is Hilarious:eek: She did look Great in her outfit lastnight though!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who sees this show as a serious skating contest is deluded. It never was and never is. I vote on who I like. I'd much rather watch Denise than Sam as Sam leaves me cold and bored whereas Denise seems fun.

Deluded...huh? Look at the people who have ultimately won in the last few years, as I said it depends on how you view the show. I base my views on the skating not preconcieved popularity. A crap skater has never won, well except maybe Gaynor Faye in series 1. Maybe she'll buck the trend but I doubt it. Denise is fun but her skating is meh and the use of sensationalism to sell things leaves me cold......despite that I'd take Sam over Denise fauxmance or no fauxmance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww Matt is totally supporting Denise! always bigging her up on Twitter! He really is lovely
    and a great partner!!
    Forum Member
    Deluded...huh? Look at the people who have ultimately won in the last few years, as I said it depends on how you view the show. I base my views on the skating not preconcieved popularity. A crap skater has never won, well except maybe Gaynor Faye in series 1. Maybe she'll buck the trend but I doubt it. Denise is fun but her skating is meh and the use of sensationalism to sell things leaves me cold......despite that I'd take Sam over Denise fauxmance or no fauxmance.

Good skaters will at the end usually yes. But up until then it is a popularity show. I just think people who get worked up over Dancing on Ice screamng about it being a skating competition are quite sad tbh. It can be whatever type of competition you view it as.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good skaters will at the end usually yes. But up until then it is a popularity show. I just think people who get worked up over Dancing on Ice screamng about it being a skating competition are quite sad tbh. It can be whatever type of competition you view it as.

Not screaming rofl! I don't find watching people struggle entertaining, I find it sadistic. What I find entertaining is the top 5 contestants pushing each other to try and pull off bigger moves. You suggest people are sad for getting worked up (I stress I'm not), but I could argue the fact you like the people who are struggling to get through says a lot about your character, perhaps not complimentary;)
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Denise, she is improving so I'm glad she hasn't gone yet, I do think she is being under marked and she should more in the middle, I don't think she is in the top few but who knows, she can skate quite well and has been able to fulfil the requirements every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blondekat wrote: »
    Aww Matt is totally supporting Denise! always bigging her up on Twitter! He really is lovely
    and a great partner!!

seems like a nice guy......I think she got lucky!
    Forum Member
    Not screaming rofl! I don't find watching people struggle entertaining, I find it sadistic. What I find entertaining is the top 5 contestants pushing each other to try and pull off bigger moves. You suggest people are sad for getting worked up (I stress I'm not), but I could argue the fact you like the people who are struggling to get through says a lot about your character, perhaps not complimentary;)

I never said you were getting worked up. Im talking about some others on here. Someone said they wanted Kerry to die last night :confused: Thats disturbing and sad.

And thats fine you enjoy just watching the top 5, just accept that others enjoy watching Denise and Kerry.

If they were all good, I would be bored
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said you were getting worked up. Im talking about some others on here. Someone said they wanted 1Kerry to die last night :confused: Thats disturbing and sad.

And thats fine you enjoy just watching the top 5, just accept that others enjoy watching Denise and Kerry.

2If they were all good, I would be bored

That's utterly sick and disgusting, those people are vile idiots. I'm not a fan of Kerry and I'd rather she wasn't in the show but to wish that she would die just makes them look like imbeciles.

It boils down to a mere difference of opinion on your second point. I like people to excel and some just seem to be going through the motions and doing the bare minimum - I think it demonstrates sheer arrogance - they think they've got such a big following so they don't have to worry about putting the effort in because their fans will bail them out. To be honest if I was a fan of the lesser skaters I'd find it deeply insulting that they would take my support for granted. If they don't put 100% effort in then they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.
  • Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right too: Denise has for my money given performances that involve quite a decent amount of skating vs lifts, delivered with a reasonable degree of showmanship, and yet she struggles to get marks that reflect that.

I think some of it's to do with the song choices not reflecting her personality very well, so she's struggling to put them across. Didn't she get similar comments both this week and last about not having the right style of performance for her music?

I also don't think Matt's helping Denise's cause; he seems a bit dismissive and smug this series, not proud of what she's achieving at all.

You obviously don't follow Matt's twitter, he's very proud of her achievements and is always saying so on his twitter page. They are very good friends and he's always going to her house for dinner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always look forward to seeing Denise and Matt!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise is being undermarked...

... and over-voted, due to her appearances in Soldier, Soldier; Coro; Waterloo Rd; and Loose Women.

Go, Denise - and don't come back :D:D
  • tangos_with_timtangos_with_tim Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I think Denise's being undermarked too. Her jumps this week were better than Chloe's! She started with a good test score from Jayne and Chris, and has since then always given a reliable, competent looking performance, showing slow but sure imrpovement.

Denise may not be coming on in leaps and bounds like some of them, but I think she may be suffering from a touch of ageism from the panel (and I do hate labelling like this, but it's just the honest impression I'm getting), either that or perhaps she is not well liked as a person. I notice no shots of the other Loose Women in the crowd, they were always there for Colleen.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I agree, I think Denise's being undermarked too. Her jumps this week were better than Chloe's! She started with a good test score from Jayne and Chris, and has since then always given a reliable, competent looking performance, showing slow but sure imrpovement.

Denise may not be coming on in leaps and bounds like some of them, but I think she may be suffering from a touch of ageism from the panel (and I do hate labelling like this, but it's just the honest impression I'm getting), either that or perhaps she is not well liked as a person. I notice no shots of the other Loose Women in the crowd, they were always there for Colleen.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Carol McGiffin and Andrea McLean there at some stage.

On the whole, I like Denise and not at all surprised nor disappointed she's staying in. I do think she's a tad underscored and she is improving week on week, both with skating and performance.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I think last week I did feel she was undermarked, but less so this week. Last week's routine showed enough of Denise's skating progress, whereas the week before's did.

I'd have liked to see Denise put the steps in routine again last week, along with the jump, this would then build to this week, where steps, a jump and a spin are required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susie-R wrote: »
    You obviously don't follow Matt's twitter, he's very proud of her achievements and is always saying so on his twitter page. They are very good friends and he's always going to her house for dinner.

Nope, I don't do Twitter, but good for Matt for being proud :D
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's marked about right compared to the better skaters...

...but I think some of the others who are weaker than her (such as Kerry) are overmarked.