Options

Should we cut our losses?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
This is the last thread I will make about my house, you are probably thinking I sound like a broken record :o

Basically our house has been on the market for well over a year, changed agents, reduced the price twice and I can count the viewers we have had on one hand.

House was valued at 129.950, we put it on for 115k, dropped the price to 110k still no interest.

The house is starting to feel like a burden to us now, as in, we just want to move to the new area and be done with it all, we were talking about it over the last day or so and we are thinking of just dropping the price drastically to 90k, that would clear our mortgage and leave us with nothing, but we are moving in with my family for a while so can save a bit of money.

We canot afford to rent it out (maintinance costs, letting agents etc) we also cannot afford to put it up at auction as we dont have a spare £400 to give them to list it.

In our position would you just cut your losses, pay the mortgage off and start a new life or hold out for a price we may never get?

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the housing market recovering spectacular over the next 12 months.

How have properties in your area been selling in the last 12 months ?

You can get a list of selling prices online and from there work out which properties are similar to yours and think about price change.

I am going to assume that you have done all the usual stuff to make your house more attractive to viewers ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't see the housing market recovering spectacular over the next 12 months.

How have properties in your area been selling in the last 12 months ?

You can get a list of selling prices online and from there work out which properties are similar to yours and think about price change.

I am going to assume that you have done all the usual stuff to make your house more attractive to viewers ?

All other houses on our street have sold in the time we have been on the market, we have done all we can do, we have painted all through, everything is clean and tidy, gardens done etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    She Devil wrote: »
    All other houses on our street have sold in the time we have been on the market, we have done all we can do, we have painted all through, everything is clean and tidy, gardens done etc.

If you're moving in with family, you could move now & sell the house as a vacant possesion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you drop it too much it may not work in your favour. We sold our house for a much lower price than we wanted because we managed to get our current house at an amazing price - the sellers were desperate because a chain collapsed at the 11th hour - and we really want to move as the house was so expensive to heat etc.

The surveyor, who was a total idiot, made a really big deal of the price and it caused quite a few problems with the mortgage company as they were convinced there had to be something wrong with it. We nearly lost our buyers because of it.

So low price can = suspicion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why is your property not selling ?

What were the selling prices of the other houses, you can check here. It can take around 6 weeks between exchange and update of prices.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/
  • Options
    ooo-la-laooo-la-la Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Have you considered renting it out to your local council or a housing association? I don't know a great deal about the scheme, but as I understand it, so long as the property is in good condition, and meets H&S standards, you would be paid a set amount for the term of the lease, whether it's occupied or not. The other advantage is that they have to give you back your property in the same condition that it was in from the start. Possibly the only drawback is that you have to hand the property over to them for a set period (3 years, I think.. but someone else may confirm that one way or another).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about trying a private house exchange? Nowadays you can swap your council house quite easily but there are a few sites on the net now where people are advertising their private house for exchange.

Or alternatively put an ad in the paper and say you want an exchange.....it might work. Gumtree is one website for such swaps...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    The house is starting to feel like a burden to us now, as in, we just want to move to the new area and be done with it all, we were talking about it over the last day or so and we are thinking of just dropping the price drastically to 90k, that would clear our mortgage and leave us with nothing, but we are moving in with my family for a while so can save a bit of money.

There are some companies which will buy any house at a discounted price. (I am not talking about companies offering part exchange or equity release for the elderly -- they buy it outright.)

Just google "we buy any house" and lots of results come up -- as long as they can offer you your minimum £90K to clear the mortgage, it would enable you to get moving.

These companies buy properties at a discount, knowing that they will be able to re-sell the houses later at a profit.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried going with a different estate agents?
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What advice are your estate agents giving you? If other houses in your road are selling and yours isn't there must be something wrong (don't mean that in a horrid way), but if they are a similar style, size etc and on for same sort of price and selling what is putting off viewers and buyers?Your agents must be getting some sort of feedback from people when they put your house forward as a house to view or feedback from those who did view but didn't buy.

You could take it off the market now, then relaunch it in the spring with a new agent, new photos at a reduced price and see what happens. Good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I know how you feel, we have had ours up for 2 years and not one viewing.
    It only 4 years old, bought for £100000, on for £90000, the estate agents want us to drop it to £80000 and hope for an offer around £75000. It just so bad, we cannot see a way of getting out of this place !
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the last thread I will make about my house, you are probably thinking I sound like a broken record :o

Basically our house has been on the market for well over a year, changed agents, reduced the price twice and I can count the viewers we have had on one hand.

House was valued at 129.950, we put it on for 115k, dropped the price to 110k still no interest.

We canot afford to rent it out (maintinance costs, letting agents etc) we also cannot afford to put it up at auction as we dont have a spare £400 to give them to list it.

In our position would you just cut your losses, pay the mortgage off and start a new life or hold out for a price we may never get?

Why is letting it out a problem? I have a flat that I rent out and I did use an agent to find a tenant, but I only paid them one finding fee, I manage the rent collection myself (my tenant pays the rent directly into my bank account) and the only other fees I have are the annual gas safety certificate and the ground rent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ooo-la-la wrote: »
    Hi
    Have you considered renting it out to your local council or a housing association?

No hadnt thought of that, I didnt even know you could do that to be honest, I have had a look on the loacal council website and there are terms and conditions so will give them a ring later to see if its possible. Thanks.
    The Mc wrote: »
    What about trying a private house exchange? Nowadays you can swap your council house quite easily but there are a few sites on the net now where people are advertising their private house for exchange.

I dont think we could do that because we need to clear the mortgage before moving out, if we swapped houses we would still need to pay the mortgage off I think??
    JBag wrote: »
    There are some companies which will buy any house at a discounted price. (I am not talking about companies offering part exchange or equity release for the elderly -- they buy it outright.)

Just google "we buy any house" and lots of results come up -- as long as they can offer you your minimum £90K to clear the mortgage, it would enable you to get moving.

These companies buy properties at a discount, knowing that they will be able to re-sell the houses later at a profit.

We have looked into these companies, one of them said they would give us 90k, which was fine then they called us up a few days later dropping the price to 75k saying the market is changing, another one said they dont buy houses anymore but they will give us a set price of 30k now and then rent the house to someone and then give us the rest of the money in 5 years???
    alsmama wrote: »
    Have you tried going with a different estate agents?

Yes, we changed agent after being on the market for a few months, we changed to the agent that was selling the most houses in our area.
    What advice are your estate agents giving you? If other houses in your road are selling and yours isn't there must be something wrong (don't mean that in a horrid way), but if they are a similar style, size etc and on for same sort of price and selling what is putting off viewers and buyers?Your agents must be getting some sort of feedback from people when they put your house forward as a house to view or feedback from those who did view but didn't buy.

You could take it off the market now, then relaunch it in the spring with a new agent, new photos at a reduced price and see what happens. Good luck

9 times out of ten the viewers we have had fall of the face of the earth after viewing and the agent always says they cant contact them to get feedback, we got old by the last viewers that there was too much work that needed doing, but refused to tell us what. Other than that all the agent says is reduce the price, its got to the point where they are phoning us once per week telling us to reduce.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a matter of interest, at 5.30am to 6am on Ch 5 in the mornings are repeats of the 'House Doctor' with Ann Maurice and I watch it while eating my brekky. Having read your posts I suggest you record this and watch, have a look at her recommendations and you may get some really good tips.

I know she says this is no longer your home it has to appeal to a buyer, and when I read viewers have told you your house needs too much doing to it, it rang rather a chord with me. Hope that might help. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered having an open house showing, with a reduced price for the day?

I know somebody that did that, although unfortunately I don't think they got a buyer. It might give you the opportunity to talk get some people looking round and possibly have a chat with them to see what they think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - Did you check the selling prices of other houses using the link I posted ?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My neighbour took about 18 months to sell her one bed flat. She started at £200k. It finally sold for £155k. This is in London.

It's a dreadful time to sell. I want to sell too, but shall rent it out until the market is better.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbour took about 18 months to sell her one bed flat. She started at £200k. It finally sold for £155k. This is in London.

It's a dreadful time to sell. I want to sell too, but shall rent it out until the market is better.

you're going to have an awfully long wait then i'm afraid, it will be years and years before things pick up.the main problem is that people were used to the boom years when properties were selling at silly prices, that won't happen now, so forget big profits.
  • Options
    ChawtonChawton Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to look around your house as though they were potential buyers, and could then suggest what might need doing? But you may have to be prepared for some straight talking, hearing things you don't want to hear, and still be friends with them afterwards! ;)

The last time we moved, people said our kitchen looked a bit outdated. As we weren't in a rush to move, took it off the market, had a new kitchen fitted, but later put it back on, and it sold! This was a good few years ago, though.

As the good House Doctor would say: Declutter and Neutralise!

Good luck. The people at the end of our road have put their house on the market about 4 times now and are having no luck. Mind you, that could be because they're asking stupid money for it. and can't accept it's not worth that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the suggestion of taking it off the market now and repackaging it for the spring.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We took the Ann Maurice route - we painted everything neutral colours and replaced all the carpet with cheap neutral beige carpets. Got rid of all the personal clutter - packed everything away that wasn't needed and did absolutely every single repair that we could afford. Bought some cheap new towels, regrouted the showers and scrubbed everything to within an inch of its life.

It sold before the contract was signed with the agent!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're going to have an awfully long wait then i'm afraid, it will be years and years before things pick up.the main problem is that people were used to the boom years when properties were selling at silly prices, that won't happen now, so forget big profits.

Depends where you live 5 houses have been sold in my street in the last year and none of them have been on the market for more than month and I'd be happy to get a similar price for ours
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Depends where you live 5 houses have been sold in my street in the last year and none of them have been on the market for more than month and I'd be happy to get a similar price for ours

Probably because they are priced reasonably. Things always sell quickly in my neck of the woods too, but the house across the road has been on for ages because they bought at the peak and expect to get that price back at least now, it ain't happening and they won't drop the price so they're stuck. That's my point.
  • Options
    SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chawton wrote: »
    Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to look around your house as though they were potential buyers, and could then suggest what might need doing? But you may have to be prepared for some straight talking, hearing things you don't want to hear, and still be friends with them afterwards! ;)

The last time we moved, people said our kitchen looked a bit outdated. As we weren't in a rush to move, took it off the market, had a new kitchen fitted, but later put it back on, and it sold! This was a good few years ago, though.

As the good House Doctor would say: Declutter and Neutralise!

Good luck. The people at the end of our road have put their house on the market about 4 times now and are having no luck. Mind you, that could be because they're asking stupid money for it. and can't accept it's not worth that :rolleyes:

When did they move in? Maybe they paid too much and need the silly price to clear the mortgage.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Very true (more's the pity) :(

But I can wait. I'll rent it out. No mortgage on the place, so nothing to pay in that regard.