Help me pick a console please

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interesting the controller size switch. Folk used to say they preferred the xbox if they had larger hands.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Quite interesting the controller size switch. Folk used to say they preferred the xbox if they had larger hands.

that's what is true...isnt it?
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which system do most of your friends intend to buy? find out and then grab that, you don't want to end up with a different console to ones people you know are using.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is exclusive content... and dedicated servers for COD will make the difference.

Getting a free pack-in game brings the costs down, that's just logic. I never said it was cheaper than the PS4 but the fact is you also get a high tech camera included with the X1.

Lastly to the OP, I wouldn't worry about the size of the X1 controller as it's actually smaller than the Dual Shock 4 which has really grown for this generation. PIC
    But that's not the picture you painted. You said exclusive content 'Ultimate Team' but UT isn't exclusive. You should have said exclusive content for Ultimate Team.

Dedis is no doubt a bonus but when you have tweets saying 'more info to come' for other platforms I wouldn't call off PS4 just yet. They're actually already used on both current gen platforms for League Play.

Also as I said, DS4 hasn't grown much - it is just wider to incorporate the touchpad and the grips have been made longer.

The problem with the Xbox controller for smaller hands is the large grips, not how wide it is. Width doesn't matter, each hand could be 3 foot apart but wouldn't make a difference because you don't use your right hand to touch controls on the left side, how each hand grips the controller does matter.

As I suggested go out and find a 360 demo station.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    But that's not the picture you painted. You said exclusive content 'Ultimate Team' but UT isn't exclusive. You should have said exclusive content for Ultimate Team.

Dedis is no doubt a bonus but when you have tweets saying 'more info to come' for other platforms I wouldn't call off PS4 just yet. They're actually already used on both current gen platforms for League Play.

Also as I said, DS4 hasn't grown much - it is just wider to incorporate the touchpad and the grips have been made longer.

The problem with the Xbox controller for smaller hands is the large grips, not how wide it is. Width doesn't matter, each hand could be 3 foot apart but wouldn't make a difference because you don't use your right hand to touch controls on the left side, how each hand grips the controller does matter.

Christ, do you have to work hard to be this pedantic or does it just come naturally? Ultimate Team content is exclusive to Xbox One and that might be of interest to someone who likes FIFA. It's clear Microsoft have the sport side of gaming sewn up, certainly when the online TV features are available in this country which aim to be interactive with EA Sports titles.

When Sony can't even provide proper dedicated servers for Killzone SF what hope do you think there is for COD: Ghosts? Sony would of been shouting about it by now if it wasn't going to be P2P.

DS4 is huge now, it's bubbled out to be bigger than the Xbox controller, not necessarily a bad thing depending on your tastes.

What I don't quite understand is why suggest a 360 demo-station when it features a different controller? Everyone who has tried it said It feels outright different, not least because there is no battery pack on the back now, but also due to it's shape, triggers, d-pad etc just like S-controller is different to 360.

If a controller was 3 feet wide I think it would make a difference somehow.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

I have always found using controllers on one of the demo stations does not give the best feeling of how comfortable it will be in normal use.

Edit; I just found this image of the two controllers apparently together.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-controller-side-by-side-with-the-ps4-contr-581449946
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Get the one the majority of your friends will be getting.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me, you can't go wrong with a Nintendo system, whichever one you choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traphik wrote: »
    Get the one the majority of your friends will be getting.

only one of my mates plays computer games and hes getting an xbox 1 lol
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lastly to the OP, I wouldn't worry about the size of the X1 controller as it's actually smaller than the Dual Shock 4 which has really grown for this generation. PIC

Nonsense. The PS4 controller feels no bigger than a PS3 dualshock. Have you held one like i have?
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also heard Xboxes are very bad too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, do you have to work hard to be this pedantic or does it just come naturally? Ultimate Team content is exclusive to Xbox One and that might be of interest to someone who likes FIFA. It's clear Microsoft have the sport side of gaming sewn up, certainly when the online TV features are available in this country which aim to be interactive with EA Sports titles.

When Sony can't even provide proper dedicated servers for Killzone SF what hope do you think there is for COD: Ghosts? Sony would of been shouting about it by now if it wasn't going to be P2P.

DS4 is huge now, it's bubbled out to be bigger than the Xbox controller, not necessarily a bad thing depending on your tastes.

What I don't quite understand is why suggest a 360 demo-station when it features a different controller? Everyone who has tried it said It feels outright different, not least because there is no battery pack on the back now, but also due to it's shape, triggers, d-pad etc just like S-controller is different to 360.

If a controller was 3 feet wide I think it would make a difference somehow.
    Not being pedantic, just making sure that people know what they're getting.

You can't just lie about things and what you said suggested that Ultimate Team was exclusive to Xbox One, when it isn't. If Ultimate Team was key for the purchaser then they may mistakenly think that the PS4 is not the console for them due to it not having Ultimate Team when it very clearly does.

MS's marketing is doing a very, very good job on you because it's the same incorrectly line they used but then retracted after people called them out on it.

Again the DS4 is just wider with longer grips. Everything else has been kept in-line. It is wider to incorporate the touchpad. This doesn't affect how you play with it because what is key for someone with smaller hands is how they can grip the controller, and that they can press all buttons easily.

As your right hand does not press any buttons on the left side if the controller was 3 foot wide it would still be just as comfortable to hold so long as the grips and buttons on either side are well sized and located and the narrower grips on the DS4 allow for this.

Practically everyone except Major Nelson has praised the DS4 to no end and has claimed it to be the best controller this time round.
    Forum Member
    LOL I did not lie, let's look at my original post shall we:
    Xbox One features exclusive content on EA games such as the Ultimate Team for FIFA,

That is true, however if we're being pedantic then Ultimate Team Legends is exclusive to Xbox One.

List of exclusive players:

Andrej Shevchenko
    Christian Vieri
    David Seaman
    Davor Suker
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Edwin van der Sar
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Fernando Hierro
    Filippo Inzaghi
    Frank De Boer
    Frank Rijkaard
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Gary Lineker
    Gary Neville
    George Weah
    Gheorghe Hagi
    Gianfranco Zola
    Henrik Larsson
    Hernan Crespo
    Jens Lehmann
    Lothar Matthaus
    Marcel Desailly
    Marco van Basten
    Michael Owen
    Oliver Bierhoff
    Pauleta
    Paulo Futre
    Paulo Maldini
    Patrick Kluivert
    Patrick Vieira
    Pele
    Robbie Fowler
    Rui Costa
    Ruud Gullit
    Ruud van Nistelrooy
    Sol Campbell
    Stefan Effenberg
    Teddy Sheringham

source

So it's not exactly minor is it.

The DS4 is nothing like the DS3, it's gone all bubbly. It's lost a lot of the former sleek appearance for the sake of appealing to Western gamers, it's pretty huge and fat looking tbh.
    chopoff wrote:
    Practically everyone except Major Nelson has praised the DS4 to no end and has claimed it to be the best controller this time round.

That's not what I've been hearing. At all. In fact many people much prefer the X1 controller for the sticks, precise D-pad and in particular the impulse triggers. HD feedback is a great feature imo. Gamers who appreciate subtlety understand it, like this guy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is true, however if we're being pedantic then Ultimate Team Legends is exclusive to Xbox One.

Andrej Shevchenko
    Christian Vieri
    David Seaman
    Davor Suker
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Edwin van der Sar
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Fernando Hierro
    Filippo Inzaghi
    Frank De Boer
    Frank Rijkaard
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Gary Lineker
    Gary Neville
    George Weah
    Gheorghe Hagi
    Gianfranco Zola
    Henrik Larsson
    Hernan Crespo
    Jens Lehmann
    Lothar Matthaus
    Marcel Desailly
    Marco van Basten
    Michael Owen
    Oliver Bierhoff
    Pauleta
    Paulo Futre
    Paulo Maldini
    Patrick Kluivert
    Patrick Vieira
    Pele
    Robbie Fowler
    Rui Costa
    Ruud Gullit
    Ruud van Nistelrooy
    Sol Campbell
    Stefan Effenberg
    Teddy Sheringham

source

The DS4 is nothing like the DS3, it's gone all bubbly. It's lost a lot of the former sleek appearance for the sake of appealing to Western gamers, it's pretty huge and fat looking tbh.

That's not what I've been hearing. At all. In fact many people much prefer the X1 controller for the sticks, precise D-pad and in particular the impulse triggers. HD feedback is a great feature imo. Gamers who appreciate subtlety understand it, like this guy

tbf i hear that the xbox one controller is better for guys lol and those with big hands.
    those with small hands, girls etc... the xbox1 controller is too big.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Andrej Shevchenko
    Christian Vieri
    David Seaman
    Davor Suker
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Edwin van der Sar
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Fernando Hierro
    Filippo Inzaghi
    Frank De Boer
    Frank Rijkaard
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Gary Lineker
    Gary Neville
    George Weah
    Gheorghe Hagi
    Gianfranco Zola
    Henrik Larsson
    Hernan Crespo
    Jens Lehmann
    Lothar Matthaus
    Marcel Desailly
    Marco van Basten
    Michael Owen
    Oliver Bierhoff
    Pauleta
    Paulo Futre
    Paulo Maldini
    Patrick Kluivert
    Patrick Vieira
    Pele
    Robbie Fowler
    Rui Costa
    Ruud Gullit
    Ruud van Nistelrooy
    Sol Campbell
    Stefan Effenberg
    Teddy Sheringham

source

Minor or major, it doesn't matter. You flat-out lied with your wording.

"Xbox One features exclusive content on EA games such as the Ultimate Team for FIFA"

Is not the same as what you should say:
    "Xbox One features exclusive content on EA games such as additional Legend players for Ultimate Team in FIFA"

It would be like saying Xbox One has exclusive content such as Call of Duty multiplayer. It sounds like the whole thing is exclusive.

Your wording is almost identical as I say to the wording MS put out but then changed because it was misleading and led to people thinking it was only on Xbox One.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really a difficult pick? Playstation has been the best console every gen since it emerged and MS already tanked their next one long before it was even due out.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen many people say one controller is better than the other, the XBox 1 controller has an improved D-pad, and that's all it needed, because the vast majority think the current 360 contoller is near perfect anyway.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the DS4, triggers, grips, sticks all improved. It is supposed to be much more comfortable in your hands. I don't think people have said it's better that the XBox 1 controller, people just appreciate the improvements made from the last one. Of course people will have preferences, but it looks like the controllers are pretty level this time round.

I never had an issue with the DS3 because I have small hands, the 360 always felt too big. I'll have to go into a store and have a look at the DS4, I hope it's not too big.

RE the original post: What type of games do you like to play? If you have a look at the PS3 and 360 libraries it will give you an idea of what you'll be getting come next gen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You kind of make it sound like that's a bad thing, haven't they just implimented changes based on consumer feedback? Surely that's a good thing? Most people prefer the 360 contoller and have major issues with the DS3, pretty much all of them (that I know of) have said the new DS4 is vastly improved from the DS3, not that it's now better the Xbox controller.
    Forum Member
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    tbf i hear that the xbox one controller is better for guys lol and those with big hands.
    those with small hands, girls etc... the xbox1 controller is too big.

That was definitely a common interpretation with the 360, but I personally got on well with either controller. I could never understand if an adult thought the 360 controller was "too big". If so they're going to have even more trouble with the Dual Shock 4 as like the 360 controller it is designed to be gripped firmly, not held in a claw-like manner.

What I wonder is how people will adapt to the triggers? We all know the Dual Shock 3's were so bad everyone used the bumpers instead, but on the Dual Shock 4 the bumpers are entirely different, the button is wider and the trigger look much better. I wonder if people will use the triggers this time around?
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    You kind of make it sound like that's a bad thing, haven't they just implimented changes based on consumer feedback? Surely that's a good thing? Most people prefer the 360 contoller and have major issues with the DS3, pretty much all of them (that I know of) have said the new DS4 is vastly improved from the DS3, not that it's now better the Xbox controller.

I think you'll find there are a number of gamers who prefer the Dual Shock over the Xbox controller and who probably won't be so happy with the changes. I personally think they are overall for the better but I prefer the "look" of the original Dual Shock range.
  • FlatfishrayFlatfishray Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Small handed girlie here! I much prefer my 360 controller over my DS3; it feels much comfier BUT that may be due to previously playing more on my 360 than my PS3 and my muscle memory is possibly better on the 360's, hence it feeling more comfortable.

Lately I've been playing my PS3 more (thank you PS+!) and am getting on better with the DS3. So essentially, I think you get used to anything!

I've gone for the PS4 at launch and I'm just assuming that I'll get on with the controller, no matter what size it is compared to my grubby wee mitts. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find there are a number of gamers who prefer the Dual Shock over the Xbox controller and who probably won't be so happy with the changes. I personally think they are overall for the better but I prefer the "look" of the original Dual Shock range.

Yeah I see what you mean. Aesthetically speaking the DS4 is not as nice looking as the DS3, but function is also important, and I'm one of the people that prefers the size of the DS3 over the 360.

I also accept that it would look a bit odd if Sony put out the PS4 with the same controller design they have used since the 90's. Changes can sometimes make things worse, but in this case it seems Sony have done a good job. I do wonder if they kept the design on the DS3 because of the way it looked, they knew how much people liked the 360 controller and still went with the same design.

I just hope it's not too big when I get my hands on it, I've heard lot's of good things and fingers crossed I like it too. If I don't much like the new controller, I guess I'll have to get used to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen many people say one controller is better than the other, the XBox 1 controller has an improved D-pad, and that's all it needed, because the vast majority think the current 360 contoller is near perfect anyway.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the DS4, triggers, grips, sticks all improved. It is supposed to be much more comfortable in your hands. I don't think people have said it's better that the XBox 1 controller, people just appreciate the improvements made from the last one. Of course people will have preferences, but it looks like the controllers are pretty level this time round.

I never had an issue with the DS3 because I have small hands, the 360 always felt too big. I'll have to go into a store and have a look at the DS4, I hope it's not too big.

RE the original post: What type of games do you like to play? If you have a look at the PS3 and 360 libraries it will give you an idea of what you'll be getting come next gen.

erm nba 2k14, fifa 14 and cod
    basically titles available on both consoles
    Forum Member
    Yeah I see what you mean. Aesthetically speaking the DS4 is not as nice looking as the DS3, but function is also important, and I'm one of the people that prefers the size of the DS3 over the 360.

I also accept that it would look a bit odd if Sony put out the PS4 with the same controller design they have used since the 90's. Changes can sometimes make things worse, but in this case it seems Sony have done a good job. I do wonder if they kept the design on the DS3 because of the way it looked, they knew how much people liked the 360 controller and still went with the same design.

I just hope it's not too big when I get my hands on it, I've heard lot's of good things and fingers crossed I like it too. If I don't much like the new controller, I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Right, it could of been worse :D

I agree, function over form every time, but having a good looking controller is just a nice thing, I understand that's subjective though.

Two genres I thought the Dual Shock lacked in; racing games and FPS. The Dual Shock 4 looks to be much better suited in that department.

That's the thing about controllers, through familiarity we can adapt to pretty much anything. When I was using Dual Shock 3 exclusively I had no qualms, it's only when you mix and match on a regular basis that problems become apparent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    erm nba 2k14, fifa 14 and cod
    basically titles available on both consoles

I see your problem! lol. Based on that i'd maybe say XBox 1, the games will probably play the same on both and they both have multimedia functions, but XBox has the added TV functionality with Kinect, though that won't be available outside the US at launch I don't think. If your into shooters, i'd still say XBox, i've heard a few people say they are getting one just because of Titanfall.

Do you play online much? You have to pay to play online for both consoles now, that used to be a plus for Playstation. You can still use Netflix and things on PS4 without a subscription, but if you like online play you will pay for the subscription anyway.