• Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i think we to clear something up

Ian David Karslake Watkins - paedo
    Ian H. Watkins - H from steps

Also - the "H" is a nickname, rather than a middle-name initial.

The point another poster was making about H possibly being the subject of vigilante attacks was more about strangers, people he doesn't know, rather than his friends. People who don't know him, who could attribute the wrong name to him/his face - as the above poster has just done - could wish to dole out their own brand of justice to the wrong person in the belief that H is the Ian in question.
  • Options
    LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Do you think all the people who knew Ian H. Watkins knew he was a paedophile? I doubt these types are very open about it to friends and family!

I think you mean Ian Watkins.

No 'H' involved.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    i think we to clear something up

Ian David Karslake Watkins - paedo
    Ian H. Watkins - H from steps
    Lucycon wrote: »
    I think you mean Ian Watkins.

No 'H' involved.

Damn, I'll blame my pregnancy brain. :o

I do think H from Steps deserves some compensation and a better apology for that mistake.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Also - the "H" is a nickname, rather than a middle-name initial.

The point another poster was making about H possibly being the subject of vigilante attacks was more about strangers, people he doesn't know, rather than his friends. People who don't know him, who could attribute the wrong name to him/his face - as the above poster has just done - could wish to dole out their own brand of justice to the wrong person in the belief that H is the Ian in question.

i don't think people that know H are the issue. i was simply responding to this post:
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    Imagine that your photograph was attached to a story about a child molester who raped babies, even if that news outlet later took the photo down. What potential damage could that do if people who knew you saw it in the meantime and ran off telling people that you were this monster? Or if a stranger in the street recognised you and decided to dispense some rough justice?

I'd say it's pretty damned damaging!
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, there are friends and family - and there are people who know you but don't know you well enough to discount something like that. Work colleagues, people who go to the same pub/club, etc.

If one person sees the wrong identification and runs around telling all the other people at 'the office' or 'the pub' that you're a child molester, then you've got a nasty situation on your hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    The thing is, there are friends and family - and there are people who know you but don't know you well enough to discount something like that. Work colleagues, people who go to the same pub/club, etc.

If one person sees the wrong identification and runs around telling all the other people at 'the office' or 'the pub' that you're a child molester, then you've got a nasty situation on your hands.

If someone who works with H from steps or drinks in the same pub as him saw that article and thought that H from steps was the lead singer of the lostprophets told another person the tale that other person would say no you **** H from steps is not the same person as the baby rapist.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we know why Equity don't allow members to have the same name as someone else in the business. Steptoe actor Harry H Corbett had to add the H to avoid confusion with the Sooty man Harry Corbett. And David Walliams is really David Williams but was told to change his name cos there was already a David Williams (no, I haven't heard of him either) in the biz.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Do you think all the people who knew Ian H. Watkins knew he was a paedophile? I doubt these types are very open about it to friends and family!

Exactly.

Remeber the nursery worker Vanessa George? Her poor family had no clue at all.

(I would correct you on mixing up H from Steps with the peado but others have done so)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

Remeber the nursery worker Vanessa George? Her poor family had no clue at all.

(I would correct you on mixing up H from Steps with the peado but others have done so)

Precisely. The other members of Lostprophets posted a statement on their official Facebook page a few days ago in response to people speculating about whether they knew or not. I've got no reason to think they had any idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. The other members of Lostprophets posted a statement on their official Facebook page a few days ago in response to people speculating about whether they knew or not. I've got no reason to think they had any idea.

I really hope they won't be targeted by the hard of thinking. I feel really sorry for them, they'll be going through a horrible time coming to deal with the story as it is
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I really hope they won't be targeted by the hard of thinking. I feel really sorry for them, they'll be going through a horrible time coming to deal with the story as it is

They are already getting abused by trolls/idiots etc
    Accusations like they must have known etc which is total crap
    Plus trolls targeted H for the fact that they are idiots
    Personally - I hope that the others can be a new band as they are excellent musicians and that H and the others don't have more of this crap to deal with, the apology does come across as too little too late though
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Reminds me of when a paediatrician was forced from her home after morons mistook her profession to mean she was a paedophile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm

They believe a paedophile would be so open about it they'd list it as their occupation?

There really is no limit to the stupidness of some people.
  • Options
    pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've started a hash tag to help clear H name,

please retweet and sort this mess out

@ianhwatkinsisnotapedofile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pwuz wrote: »

hash tags start with a hash #

and that is not how you spell paedophile. which wouldn't normally be something i would highlight but in this context seems pertinent.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They seems genuinely devastated. It must be horrible for anyone involved who was beguiled by this guy.
  • Options
    pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hash tags start with a hash #

and that is not how you spell paedophile. which wouldn't normally be something i would highlight but in this context seems pertinent.

damn thats why it isnt trending!

well done people but keep tweeting to clear H name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are already getting abused by trolls/idiots etc
    Accusations like they must have known etc which is total crap
    Plus trolls targeted H for the fact that they are idiots

The morons of this world never fail to live up to my expectations. :(
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly classic!

Could you have done it more wrong?

• Options
    Forum Member
    damn thats why it isnt trending!

well done people but keep tweeting to clear H name!

The majority of people in the UK know full well he's been wrongly targeted by this US website.

You talk about 'clearing his name' which insinuates he's done something wrong. He hasn't, so quite why you think his name needs clearing is a mystery.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Ian Watkins gets life when he's sentenced tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Me too.

Joanne Majic was on the news tonight talking about how nobody would listen when she went to the police about him. An utter disgrace, and I hope whoever was responsible for letting this piece of human garbage continue to walk the streets and abuse children gets prosecuted too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514871/Ian-Watkins-seduced-Lostprophets-fan-15-offered-baby-abuse.html

It's disgusting that he's still allowed to profit from his royalties on the Lostprophets music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. If he is given lesser sentence for ANY reason...>:( >:( >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's disgusting that he's still allowed to profit from his royalties on the Lostprophets music.

It really is beyond belief that new laws have not, somewhere along the way over the years, been created to stop this from happening. I suppose it would be a breach of their "human right"...*vomit smilie*
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

I'm not sure how you could legally stop that happening, without setting up a situation where anyone convicted of "serious offences" lost all rights to all of their property. Of course some people might think that's a good idea.

Of course in theory parliament could pass a bill of attainder on him and confiscate all of his property that way. I don't think such a thing has been done since the mid 1800s (if not earlier) though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you could legally stop that happening, without setting up a situation where anyone convicted of "serious offences" lost all rights to all of their property. Of course some people might think that's a good idea.

Of course in theory parliament could pass a bill of attainder on him and confiscate all of his property that way. I don't think such a thing has been done since the mid 1800s (if not earlier) though.

If a criminal writes a book when he's in prison, he's not allowed to profit from the proceeds, so why should this be any different?

It goes to show, the law is definitely an ass.
This discussion has been closed.