Marvel's Agents of SHIELD on Ch4 (Use Spoiler Tags)

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a great episode, especially the last quarter.

Definitely building up to a good series end.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know if last night's show is repeated ? can't find it .

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprising they would get an actor of Brad Dourif's calibre to play a non-speaking character who almost immediately gets shot!

It was superbly done though...playing on Dourif's penchant for playing nutbars in sci-fi/fantasy genres the audience will have been waiting for the show down and whether he would actually be the Clairvoyant and then when we get him incapacitated and speaking through a computer the tension was ratchetted up and then: boom...everything starts to change. He obviously did speak in the show from an acting point of view though.

I hope this episode shows how important the setting up of the characters early on was and the slow build through the various missions they had...it is all coming together nicely...'Trust The Whedon' for he will deliver and he has.

I loved the bit where Coulson said he likes to 'keep an open mind' and the camera cut to Agent Blake and his reaction which indicates he knows what Coulson was hinting at and hence knows what happened to Coulson. The show is full of little reaction shots like this and some were before you actual knew the relevance of the reaction shot - something for rewatches which is where I picked up on them.

With Mike Peterson becoming 'more machine than man' I do hope when he meets his son he says the immortal line: "Ace, I am you father."
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Milton Keynes prison. The shopping centre must be part of it. all that concrete.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Milton Keynes prison. The shopping centre must be part of it. all that concrete.

I liked the cliche china cup of tea and biscuits to really set the scene that it was in Jolly ol' England.
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    sam33 wrote: »
    Good to see Garrett and Hand again. Is it my imagination or does Garrett look sinister this time round?
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I'm thinking along the same lines. When the guy in the wheelchair mentioned betrayal that's who the camera focused on, and within seconds Ward pulled the trigger.

He also said Coulson's head was clouded by lies when the camera focused on Garrett. ;-)
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the cliche china cup of tea and biscuits to really set the scene that it was in Jolly ol' England.

Don't forget the union flag in the back! :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Another excellent episode, I thought. It was great seeing Skye finally being made a Shield agent and it was a clever twist at the end with the clairvoyant pushing Ward's buttons to get him to shoot 'him' and then it turning out it wasn't the clarivoyant at all.

I don't think it was down to orders and it certainly wasn't "cold blood" as someone else mentioned. Let's not forget that he still has all that suppressed rage from the berserker coursing through him. That coupled with the way the clairvoyant arranged for Skye to get shot and the fact that he seems to have strong feelings for Skye made it pretty much inevitable that he wouldn't be able to help himself.

I loved that the clarivoyant isn't clairvoyant at all, as well. The whole game has changed now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    it was a clever twist at the end with the clairvoyant pushing Ward's buttons to get him to shoot 'him' and then it turning out it wasn't the clarivoyant at all.

One has to wonder whether it was planned to get Ward 'out of the way' and off the team by doing all that.
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    One has to wonder whether it was planned to get Ward 'out of the way' and off the team by doing all that.

I think, primarily, the idea was for the patsy to get shot so that they'd all think they'd killed the Clairvoyant and end the manhunt. Neutralizing Ward would have just been a bonus side-affect!
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    Don't forget the union flag in the back! :)

haha oh yeah that too.

I'm surprised they said it was Milton Keynes and not "somewhere north of London" ;)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha oh yeah that too.

I'm surprised they said it was Milton Keynes and not "somewhere north of London" ;)

They should have called it "Metropolis prison," as a dig at Superman 4!
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That coupled with the way the clairvoyant arranged for Skye to get shot and the fact that he seems to have strong feelings for Skye made it pretty much inevitable that he wouldn't be able to help himself.

My problem with this theory is that I don't think there are two characters on the show (May and Fitz, perhaps?) who seem to care about each other less than Ward and Skye do. She clearly admires him, but all I feel from him is some grudging respect because she's not totally awful. I don't know if that's a lack of chemistry from the actors or if it's deliberate, but I don't buy "Ward has strong feelings for Skye" at all. I mean, when Skye is on screen with Fitz and Simmons, I have a goofy grin on my face. When she's with Coulson I feel all warm and fuzzy inside because there's clearly so much affection there, in a sort of father-daughter way. Even May seems to have massive respect for Skye. In comparison, Ward is just... there. Hell, I feel like Garrett feels more for Skye than Ward does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Another excellent episode, I thought. It was great seeing Skye finally being made a Shield agent and it was a clever twist at the end with the clairvoyant pushing Ward's buttons to get him to shoot 'him' and then it turning out it wasn't the clarivoyant at all.

I don't think it was down to orders and it certainly wasn't "cold blood" as someone else mentioned. Let's not forget that he still has all that suppressed rage from the berserker coursing through him. That coupled with the way the clairvoyant arranged for Skye to get shot and the fact that he seems to have strong feelings for Skye made it pretty much inevitable that he wouldn't be able to help himself.

I loved that the clarivoyant isn't clairvoyant at all, as well. The whole game has changed now.

Ward shot a defenceless invalid who was confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak. He can't even plead loss of control because neither the computer nor Nash was saying anything that would cause a reasonable person to lose control when he shot him. Worse, it now turns out that Nash wasn't even the clairvoyant after all.

Yup, definitely cold-blooded murder.
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Thrilled that after that woeful start that this has become the show I always thought it could be. Long may it continue.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    anyone know if last night's show is repeated ? can't find it.
    For future reference:

Sat C4 1245
    Sun More4 Time varies
    Tues 2205 E4
    Forum Member
    Ward shot a defenceless invalid who was confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak. He can't even plead loss of control because neither the computer nor Nash was saying anything that would cause a reasonable person to lose control when he shot him. Worse, it now turns out that Nash wasn't even the clairvoyant after all.

Yup, definitely cold-blooded murder.

Cold-blooded means without emotion. It has nothing to do with the victim's age or ability to defend themselves. As for being unable to speak, that's also irrelevant but, in any case, he was speaking just fine as far as everyone assumed.

As far as Ward is concerned, he shot a criminal mastermind responsible for countless murders, the torture of Coulson and the attempted murder of Skye.

As for not saying anything that would cause a loss of control I think you may need to rewatch it. He was deliberately taunting them. Gloating over how Coulson was holding a bleeding Skye in his arms and then crowing over how they would kill Skye in order to get what they wanted and there was nothing anyone could do to stop them. It was clearly designed to push Ward's buttons. and it's ridiculous to suggest that it wouldn't have.

It was murder, it was mistaken identity, but it wasn't cold blooded in the slightest.

Ward is good at bottling up his emotions and not showing them outwardly. We all know that he is constantly battling with a magically induced rage from the Berserker staff but we see little outward sign of it because he's good at hiding it. I would say that goes for his affection for Skye too (to answer the previous poster). It seems clear to me that they are sign-posting his feelings for Skye regardless of any on screen charisma that may or may not be there. He took it hard when she was nearly killed, possibly because he blamed himself. Even if he has no feelings towards her (which I don't believe), as her mentor he would feel a responsibility towards her, and it is hardly a stretch to believe that he would have a hard time controlling the rage that he would have been feeling towards the man who had ordered her death.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    My problem with this theory is that I don't think there are two characters on the show (May and Fitz, perhaps?) who seem to care about each other less than Ward and Skye do. She clearly admires him, but all I feel from him is some grudging respect because she's not totally awful. I don't know if that's a lack of chemistry from the actors or if it's deliberate, but I don't buy "Ward has strong feelings for Skye" at all. I mean, when Skye is on screen with Fitz and Simmons, I have a goofy grin on my face. When she's with Coulson I feel all warm and fuzzy inside because there's clearly so much affection there, in a sort of father-daughter way. Even May seems to have massive respect for Skye. In comparison, Ward is just... there. Hell, I feel like Garrett feels more for Skye than Ward does.

I think that generally it's been portrayed in a more subtle way. I thought that he had developed feelings for her so was surprised when he and May became an item!
    Forum Member
    For future reference:

Sat C4 1245
    Sun More4 Time varies
    Tues 2205 E4

You can also watch the catchup on 4oD:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/catchup
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    My problem with this theory is that I don't think there are two characters on the show (May and Fitz, perhaps?) who seem to care about each other less than Ward and Skye do. She clearly admires him, but all I feel from him is some grudging respect because she's not totally awful. I don't know if that's a lack of chemistry from the actors or if it's deliberate, but I don't buy "Ward has strong feelings for Skye" at all.

One would assume they are hiding their feelings - earlier in the series they were seen to be close then Ward and May got it on just as it seemed Ward and Skye might. For Ward to show strong feelings for Skye at this point would be doubly bad since he is playing bouncy bouncy with May.

Everyone seems to want all the emotions and the way people feel about each other in this show to be of soap opera proportions with arrows pointing at the people who have connections with each other or fancy each other...it's not going to happen in this show - they are all first and fore most SHIELD agents knowing that may have to kill or lay-down their lives...that sort of thing isn't wall-to-wall giggles.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    For Ward to show strong feelings for Skye at this point would be doubly bad since he is playing bouncy bouncy with May.
    In addition to SHIELD's general disapproval of workplace relationships, Ward is Skye's superior officer, so it would be considered an abuse of power.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Cold-blooded means without emotion. It has nothing to do with the victim's age or ability to defend themselves. As for being unable to speak, that's also irrelevant but, in any case, he was speaking just fine as far as everyone assumed.
    As far as Ward is concerned, he shot a criminal mastermind responsible for countless murders, the torture of Coulson and the attempted murder of Skye.
    As for not saying anything that would cause a loss of control I think you may need to rewatch it. He was deliberately taunting them. Gloating over how Coulson was holding a bleeding Skye in his arms and then crowing over how they would kill Skye in order to get what they wanted and there was nothing anyone could do to stop them. It was clearly designed to push Ward's buttons. and it's ridiculous to suggest that it wouldn't have.
    It was murder, it was mistaken identity, but it wasn't cold blooded in the slightest.
    Ward is good at bottling up his emotions and not showing them outwardly. We all know that he is constantly battling with a magically induced rage from the Berserker staff but we see little outward sign of it because he's good at hiding it. I would say that goes for his affection for Skye too (to answer the previous poster). It seems clear to me that they are sign-posting his feelings for Skye regardless of any on screen charisma that may or may not be there. He took it hard when she was nearly killed, possibly because he blamed himself. Even if he has no feelings towards her (which I don't believe), as her mentor he would feel a responsibility towards her, and it is hardly a stretch to believe that he would have a hard time controlling the rage that he would have been feeling towards the man who had ordered her death.

You don't seem to have grasped the meaning of "cold-blooded", so I've googled it here for you:
    cold-blooded
    adjective
    2. without emotion or pity; deliberately cruel or callous.
    "a cold-blooded murder"
    synonyms: cruel, savage, brutal, callous, barbaric, barbarous, sadistic, inhuman, pitiless, merciless, ruthless, unforgiving, unpitying, inhumane, unfeeling, uncaring, heartless;

Ward's shooting of a helpless invalid trapped in a wheelchair was unpitying, barbaric and therefore cold-blooded murder. Moreover, from your account of what Nash purportedly said, Coulson would've had more reason than Ward to shoot Nash.

If you had watched it properly, you would've seen that the Clairvoyant was in the middle of a rather innocuous sentence when Ward shot Nash. Hardly an excuse for loss of control. If Ward was charged in court for murdering Nash, he would certainly have been found guilty.
    Forum Member
    You don't seem to have grasped the meaning of "cold-blooded", so I've googled it here for you:

You don't seem to have grasped your own quote. Here, I have highlighted it for you:

cold-blooded
    adjective
    2. without emotion or pity; deliberately cruel or callous.

Just to be clear:

cal·lous (kăl′əs)
    adj.
    2. Emotionally hardened; unfeeling:
    Ward's shooting of a helpless invalid trapped in a wheelchair was unpitying, barbaric and therefore cold-blooded murder.

Invalid - irrelevant to the definition of cold-blooded
    Helpless - irrelevant to the definition of cold-blooded
    wheelchair - irrelevant to the definition of cold-blooded
    unpitying - not known (and certainly not enough in itself)
    barbaric - irrelevant to the definition of cold-blooded

Does a soldier feel pity when he shoots the enemy? Does a cop feel pity when he shoots a man drawing a gun on him? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but it doesn't make it cold-blooded if he feels no pity in that situation.

The only thing that would make the death cold-blooded is if it was done without emotion. My argument is that was not the case. It was entirely motivated by emotion.

Now you may argue that it was emotionless, that's fine. That's your opinion but don't argue that I don't understand the meaning of cold-blooded. You're the one attributing invalid meanings to it.
    Moreover, from your account of what Nash purportedly said, Coulson would've had more reason than Ward to shoot Nash.

If you had watched it properly, you would've seen that the Clairvoyant was in the middle of a rather innocuous sentence when Ward shot Nash. Hardly an excuse for loss of control. If Ward was charged in court for murdering Nash, he would certainly have been found guilty.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately disingenuous or really believe what you're saying :confused:

Coulson was never going to lose control however much he may have wanted to. Ward, on the other hand, has a magically induced rage coursing through him that he has to make a constant effort to suppress. If anyone is going to snap it's him.

Here's the transcript:

CLAIRVOYANT: I will join Raynar in your prison Agent Coulson but I will see you wherever you go. [first taunt - nothing they do to him will stop him from keeping tabs on them] Just as I saw you holding Skye in your arms bleeding, dying, knowing it was all your fault. [Second taunt. Ward blames himself for what happened to Skye as much as Coulson and here the Clairvoyant is crowing over the hurt he caused to Skye. This is clearly pushing Ward's buttons.]

COULSON: You're going away. We're going to stick you in a little box where no one will ever hear you again.

CLAIRVOYANT: I see you're angry. Head clouded with lies. You've been betrayed and now you fear what's about to happen.

COULSON: Nothing's about to happen. Just more empty threats from you.

CLAIRVOYANT: No, it is the inevitable. A force beyond your comprehension is coming for you. You and Skye. She has something we want and she will die giving it to us. I have seen it. [Third taunt - he is now threatening Skye's life]

COULSON: Go to hell!

CLAIRVOYANT: No matter where I go or what you do to me I will always...[BANG. He is crowing about how nothing they do to him will stop Skye's death. It's clearly calculated to increase Ward's frustration and rage to breaking point]

You want to consider that innocuous, go right ahead. You haven't convinced me.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the much anticipated ep airs this week on 4 I hope it's a worthy follow up to the winter solider as the cliffhanger of last weeks story was a shock if they could have taken control of the plain at any moment why did they wait until now to do so
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    For future reference:

Sat C4 1245
    Sun More4 Time varies
    Tues 2205 E4
    Apologies. That was meant to say 4-7 not More4.