The Crimson Fields

Comments

• Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    It picked up a little last night, although I do agree with this comment:

I would have liked to hear more on how that sergeant knew that sister so well, it would have been a welcomed hint into her background, although there was that comment about protegees... I didn't fully understand why he was crying when he hauled that naked lance corporal away, was that his passion for the King, disappointment in the LC (especially as he saw him as 'his son'), or realisation that he himself acted wrong in regards to the LC's request to see his family?

Does anyone know anymore about the contraption used on the injured soldier's leg? I thought it was called 'the carol deacon' but I must have seriously misheard as all I've found on Google is stuff about cakes!

The Irish sergeant introduced the young soldier to her as being someone who nursed him/saved his life at Ladysmith (the Boar War). I recognised it as a professional connection even though she called him by his first name (Aloysius) what made you think he would know anything of her personal background?
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    The Irish sergeant introduced the young soldier to her as being someone who nursed him/saved his life at Ladysmith (the Boar War). I recognised it as a professional connection even though she called him by his first name (Aloysius) what made you think he would know anything of her personal background?
    Oh right, there were a few lines I didn't hear clearly throughout the episode (hence 'carol deacon'!).
    I didn't think he knew her like they had a personal/romantic relationship, but by the way they greeted each other and how she arranged that little lunch for them both, he obviously knew her on friendlier terms than the sister seems to have with anyone else we've seen.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »

I would have liked to hear more on how that sergeant knew that sister so well, it would have been a welcomed hint into her background, although there was that comment about protegees... I didn't fully understand why he was crying when he hauled that naked lance corporal away, was that his passion for the King, disappointment in the LC (especially as he saw him as 'his son'), or realisation that he himself acted wrong in regards to the LC's request to see his family?

I couldn't understand why the sargeant was crying either, did I miss something? I didn't enjoy the episode nearly so much as the other two.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    How I read it: Both he and the nurse are completley institutionalised and are immune to most external life, the insitution gives them status and their lives meaning. Neither have family except for surrogates from within the institution. His 'adopted' son realised his sad life and deserted him.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    How I read it: Both he and the nurse are completley institutionalised and are immune to most external life, the insitution gives them status and their lives meaning. Neither have family except for surrogates from within the institution. His 'adopted' son realised his sad life and deserted him.

After the Lance Corporal received a letter from home Irish politics seemed to be significant in the deterioration of the relationship between the pair of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, that's how he realised. He then went back to the Church as well - no more father/son bonding on the beach.

Quite liked the drawn distinction between that 'men together' stuff - which certainly happens, and what was going on in the woods - ditto.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link to a webpage with information about the Carrel-Dakin wound treatment method - as used in last night's episode.

http://beckerimages.wustl.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15793coll3/id/354
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    Link to a webpage with information about the Carrel-Dakin wound treatment method - as used in last night's episode.

Thank you - you can see from that picture how accurate the portrayal last night was.

I am enjoying the series - yes, it can be quite slow paced, but there are some genuine moments of horror, such as the ears being kept as trophies last night.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh thank you for this! I read on some more that the name came from French surgeon Dr Alexis Carrel and English chemist Henry Dakin. Interesting stuff. :cool:
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious I recorded last nights episode but only got 45 minutes of it so I stopped of when the soldier was handed the embroided hanky by the nurse was there any more scenes with Thomas and Kitty? Thanks:)
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Oona Chaplin ( Charlie's granddaughter ) in this series , she's also marvellous in Game of Thrones as well .
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

Thank you that's very interesting. I had a google for it myself but had no idea how it was spelt and couldn't find it. :)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no mud and they must have been there weeks.
    The duck boards look a bit silly "laid on the lawn."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are you quoting ... erm, nothing?

This has got to be one of the oddest posts I’ve ever seen on here – and that takes something.

We can all see it's summer - frolicking in the woods, hard earth roads, people sitting in chairs outside smoking, people walking around in shirtsleeves, jumping in the sea.

It’s .... summer!

What do you think the BBC did, sucked all the rain up before a days filming, planted fake woodland, imported sunshine?

Just in case you hadn’t twigged, finding shallow or non-sensical fault does not a "critic" make.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally gave up on this half way through last nights episode. I'd rather go and have an early night. Totally boring.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Finally gave up on this half way through last nights episode. I'd rather go and have an early night. Totally boring.

I nodded off again...that might have been vino induced though to be fair but don't think I'll bother next week either - if It's not gripped me by now it never will.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really enjoying this series, bbc dramas are always good
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not perfect but leaving aside a few things it's pretty watchable drama, yes I was initially scathing but leaving aside the knowledge I have from stories ect its way better than most things.

And it's a hundred times better than Jamaica Inn which deserves every criticism levelled at it.

The Crimson Field is ok by me.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »

Very well explained. I couldn't really understand why he got so upset, but your explanation makes perfect sense. I was trying not to get too involved in it actually because I thought they might actually show the 'cowardice' soldier's court martial and execution. I know it happened but hate the thought of it.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious I recorded last nights episode but only got 45 minutes of it so I stopped of when the soldier was handed the embroided hanky by the nurse was there any more scenes with Thomas and Kitty? Thanks:)

I'm not sure how the sequence went but Thomas was a bit more vulnerable and Kitty actually half smiled at him so maybe that's progress?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The final scene was the two of them on the ward. Kitty was impressed by Thomas's handling of a patient and vice versa. They ended up discussing what happened on the beach (when he saw her swimming). Something like...

Kitty: I didn't mean to alarm you.
    Thomas: I've been alarmed since the day you arrived here.

If you are enjoying the Thomas and Kitty romance you should definitely watch the end of the episode on iPlayer.

I love this series; it's the only thing that's been on for a while where I've been impatient for the next episode. A few folks on here have said it's soapy but I don't think that's a bad thing! I hope it gets a second series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, it was their BOOM! moment.

Now we've got the whole first kiss > will-she-tell-him arc. It could take a while .....

Goodness knows what they can do with the willy washer refusnik
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galentine wrote: »
    The final scene was the two of them on the ward. Kitty was impressed by Thomas's handling of a patient and vice versa. They ended up discussing what happened on the beach (when he saw her swimming). Something like...

Kitty: I didn't mean to alarm you.
    Thomas: I've been alarmed since the day you arrived here.

If you are enjoying the Thomas and Kitty romance you should definitely watch the end of the episode on iPlayer.

I love this series; it's the only thing that's been on for a while where I've been impatient for the next episode. A few folks on here have said it's soapy but I don't think that's a bad thing! I hope it gets a second series.
    Thank you so much alas I cannot watch BBC iplayer because I am in Ireland but definitely be getting it on DVD when it comes out. I am really enjoying this series but then again I love period drama and I am enjoying the Thomas and Kitty romance. And the scheming Sister Qualye.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how the sequence went but Thomas was a bit more vulnerable and Kitty actually half smiled at him so maybe that's progress?

Thank you any bit of progress between these two is interesting to me even if its a bit slow.;-)
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    But that is what happened with Irish soldiers, but until very very recently the Irish Republic classed them as traitors for fighting in WWI.

Utter tosh. My great uncle fought in WW1, nobody ever classed him as a traitor.