Options

engine management light

wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This warning light keeps coming on in a vauxhall corsa.
The car is due its mot.
Will it pass mot.
Some say it will some say it wont.
Its a common problem this sensor in vauxhalls

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is on, or comes on during the test, it will fail. You could maybe try buying a code reader and reset the flag (and also find out where the problem lies) might last long enough to get through the test.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine came on, on a fast, busy road - frightened the life out of me! A garage nearby was going to charge me £60 just for reading the fault.
    The village garage said it could simply be a matter of needing an oil top up (and no it wasn't the oil warning light) and to try that before bringing it in. So I topped up everything and the light never ever came back on.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The light obviously comes on for a reason. Though you may be lucky to reset it, when its time for the test, if the engine mgt light comes on because of something to do with exhaust emissions, then your car is likely to fail regardless of whether or not the light is on.

Beware - if you go on too long, the engine may go into limp mode - where your top speed will (downhill) be lucky to reach 30mph. If you're on a motorway at the time..................

Why not get the garage to fix the fault BEFORE MOTing it?
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that you can pass an MOT test with the engine warning light on. It would be noted as an advisory. As I say, that's my understanding but they keep changing the rules so often it's hard to keep up! That's what I pay my garage for.

However, if the light is on due to anything that's testable during the test, for example, the emissions, then the car will fail for this reason.

Best to get the reason for the light being on determined before the test and, if possible, have it repaired.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can pass an MOT test with the engine warning light on. It would be noted as an advisory. As I say, that's my understanding but they keep changing the rules so often it's hard to keep up! That's what I pay my garage for.

However, if the light is on due to anything that's testable during the test, for example, the emissions, then the car will fail for this reason.

Best to get the reason for the light being on determined before the test and, if possible, have it repaired.

Some warning lights were added as advisory items on 1 January 2012 and became failure items on 20 March 2013, but I do not believe the engine management light is included.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a diesel? If so, that's what happened on mine. Does the warning light go off after you've re-started the car three or four times, then come on seemingly at random?

Do you ever notice a slight hesitation in the engine when you're driving along, or especially when pulling away from a mini-roundabout?

Mine produced different fault codes produced at various times, all of which rurned out to be red herrings. One pointed to the mass airflow sensor and another suggested a fuel injector problem.

It turned out to be the dreaded EGR valve – a device that supposedly reduces pollution, but in reality makes only a marginal difference and is mainly put there by the manufacturers to show that they are actively trying to lower emissions.

These work fine for several years from new, but they suddenly start to clog up and get sticky, often sticking in a partly opened position that means your engine will be running far to lean when under certain loads.

I wasted a lot of money getting this investigated, although I was never charged at all for having the fault codes read and re-set on numerous occasions. My local Citroen guy cleaned the valve several times, but this was only effective for a few weeks at a time.

Eventually I read some advice about blocking off the valve altogether. You can buy a specially shaped metal blocking sheet very cheaply on eBay, but some people simply wedge a suitably sized coin into the vacuum hose.

After a year of wasted time and expense, this cured it in an instant. The warning light never came on again and the car sails through the MOT emissions test.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The engine management light on is not a mot fail!!

Just realised....you are in N.Ireland? The mot rules are different in N.I. you should contact the testing centre for correct info for N.I.

Which warning light is it OP?
    Is it the yellow spanner light or the picture of an engine (orange light?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sensor is to do with amount of oxygen is getting to cat convertor.
    Sensor was replaced 2yrs ago but warning light now coming on again.
    I was told it will do no harm.
    Petrol engine only do about 4k miles per year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    The engine management light on is not a mot fail!!

Just realised....you are in N.Ireland? The mot rules are different in N.I. you should contact the testing centre for correct info for N.I.

Which warning light is it OP?
    Is it the yellow spanner light or the picture of an engine (orange light?)

Orange engine light
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    The sensor is to do with amount of oxygen is getting to cat convertor.
    Sensor was replaced 2yrs ago but warning light now coming on again.
    I was told it will do no harm.
    Petrol engine only do about 4k miles per year.

It might not be the same problem.

You can disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, this will reset the system and turn the light out.....make sure you have your radio code.

Before you do that you can check what the fault is without a code reader on Vauxhall cars...
    Press the accelerator pedal and brake together then turn on the ignition...
    The yellow spanner light will start to flash...like this...
    10 flashes for zero, 1 flash for 1, 2 flashes for 2 etc.
    After the first one there will be a short pause then a second flash, short pause then a third flash, short pause then a 4th....if there are more codes present there will be another pause then 4 more, but just deal with one first of all.

Example 0351 will be 10 flashes, 3 flashes, 5 flashes, 1 flash.

Look up the code you get on the web and you will have an idea what the problem might be. (place a "p" in front of the code, eg, p0351.

If you get a code for sensor heater circuit fault bank 1 this will be your original fault and as you say it isn't a problem.

I hope you understood this.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a Vauxhall Meriva [earlier version]. The engine management light came on, so we went to the Vauxhall garage where it was bought. They put it on their computer and there was no error codes found. However, they were unable to reset the light but assured us that continuing to drive was no problem because no error codes shown.

After about a month, we suddenly went into limp mode. Fortunately, we weren't far from home and I took it back to Vauxhall the next day. Same answer. Nothing wrong. No error codes found. Explained we were in limp mode but they said nothing they could do as no error codes, so nothing to reset. Were forced to drive the car in this state for a further two days [on the Meriva limp mode meant a slow pull away, once the revs were up a bit the car behaved normally]. However, on trying to leave work a few days later the car just would not start at all. In the AA, called them out. Plugged it into his computer and he said the only thing he could get out of it was that the whole onboard vehicle control unit had fried! Towed back to the Vauxhall dealer who then confirmed what the AA had said. The entire computer/vehicle control unit whatever was fried. Common problem in some Vauxhalls as it had been placed in one of the hottest areas of the engine compartment.

It seems when it had finally blown, it had taken cam sensors and all sorts of the other sensors with it. The total first estimate was £1800 with no guarantees that other problems wouldn't be found if a new unit and sensors were replaced. Took a second opinion from Vauxhall themselves and they estimated repairs at £2200 . The car was a 53 plate and had a book value in top condition of £2600 at the time. Guess what we did next?

No prizes by the way.