2.3% Americans are gay/bi

2»

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    I regularly engage in mutual masturbation/oral sex with men who identify as heterosexual.

They wouldn't identify as gay even if you caught them with my cock in their mouth.

Yep, there are plenty of cases of men having affairs with other men while in a relationship with women. None of them are likely to say they are homosexual or even bisexual.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Most get married to get a beard.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    2% is a tad low in my opinion! I would suggest at LEAST 5 - - 10 %.
    I am gay - and have met many gays and "straights" who want to 'Experiment!!' :kitty:

Believe me - there are plenty around!!:p
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it when it is 2.3% nobody believes it but if it was 10% people would nod in agreement?
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it when it is 2.3% nobody believes it but if it was 10% people would nod in agreement?

I think that there would always be an underestimation as not everyone will admit to being gay when there are still so many ignorant people about.

No idea where the 10% came from, perhaps a estimate of those who might have had a same sex encounter but even that would seem high.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a massive overestimate to me. Gay communities may make it seem like there are a lot, because you get them concentrated, but one in ten gay? 6 million in the country? No way - I have a very cosmopolitan social group, in which being gay is absolutely no problem and only one or two are gay.

A lot of that is simply down to marketing I think. Same with the exaggeration of the so-called 'Pink Pound' effect, even though it's totally mythical. But it works well for groups and companies to exaggerate the amount of gay people and their spending power when looking for advertisers.

Of course, that's not to say that 2.3% is a flawless figure, especially in the United States where some states are still miles behind the rest of the western world in terms of gay rights and attitudes.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds about right for for the percentage of "out" gay people. That said, there is a far higher percentage of gay people who aren't open about their sexuality.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Surveys obviously don't take those who are in denial about being gay in to account so i reckon 4% might be a better estimate.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like a massive overestimate to me. Gay communities may make it seem like there are a lot, because you get them concentrated, but one in ten gay? 6 million in the country? No way - I have a very cosmopolitan social group, in which being gay is absolutely no problem and only one or two are gay.

Sorry to be annoying, but saying 'only one or two are gay' makes me wonder, is it one or is it two?! Which is it... Lol. It's one of those funny phrases.

I think 3% would be more of an accurate figure
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I wouldn't nod in agreement. I think of it in terms of my school, 200 or so people in my year, there was most definitely not 20 gays in total. I can tell even the ones who are still in the closet, and now some the ones I said where in the closet at the time have come out. There are 'officially' about 8 people right now who I know are gay or bi. I'd say two more are likely gay or bisexual. So probably 5% of our year were gay/bi. At school I and a couple of others were the only ones who people knew where gay or bi, out of all the years there was around 6 of us. It is a weird way of thinking about it, but you need to think in terms like that, say you pick 10 people at random, is it more likely 5 of them or 2 of them will be gay? Not that it matters, but I do find it interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gays are an extremely over represented "minority" group.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scofield wrote: »

Awww.. diddums :cry:
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    scofield wrote: »

In which area are they "extremely over represented"? And as you put "minority" in quotes, are you suggesting that they are not a minority? Interesting...