Cineworld allocated seating

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's seems the booking fees are now live at 50p per ticket - on the Glasgow site. The cynic in me thinks this has been reintroduced because Cineworld wanted more people to book online (pick their seats with the new scheme) just so they can put the fee back in place. With this and the increase in Unlimited price and allocated seating Cineworld have hit a home run.

Plus star seating! I mean, what better way to do it? You get a visual representation on screen of the seats you're choosing. So, you either have to choose "bad" seats, or pay extra for the good seats. I just hope this all dramatically backfires for them.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With this and the increase in Unlimited price and allocated seating Cineworld have hit a home run.

Is there an increase in the Unlimited Card price? I didn't know about this. Is for monthly or annual Unlimited Customers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Is there an increase in the Unlimited Card price? I didn't know about this. Is for monthly or annual Unlimited Customers?

It's a 50p increase per month. I guess that if you pay annually, it will be reflected in your next annual bill.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

Starts from 15th July.

£15.90 to £16.40
    £190.80 to £ 196.80

I just payed in full a couple of months ago. But the bad news just keeps on coming from Cineworld.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    There probably isn't any allocated seating during weekdays such as 1pm as it won't be needed. I just wanna turn up buy my ticket and sit where I want, not interested in this allocated rubbish.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I am not a huge fan of allocated seating, but all Cineworld need to do is allow you to pick your seats at the counters. That and remove allocated seating during quieter times and people would have been less aggressive towards it. Its not ruddy rocket science
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they must do this then allocated seating during peak hours and for popular big films makes more sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Ok, I am not a huge fan of allocated seating, but all Cineworld need to do is allow you to pick your seats at the counters. That and remove allocated seating during quieter times and people would have been less aggressive towards it. Its not ruddy rocket science

Most of the people on the counters DO show you the screen if you ask to see the seating plan. I always do. If it's going to be a busy showing I'll just politely explain that I'll need to sit them next to somebody due to it being a possible sell out and us needing to avoid leaving empty seats.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hodor89 wrote: »
    Most of the people on the counters DO show you the screen if you ask to see the seating plan. I always do. If it's going to be a busy showing I'll just politely explain that I'll need to sit them next to somebody due to it being a possible sell out and us needing to avoid leaving empty seats.

Thats good. I've seen alot on this thread and on the facebook page that they don't. I book online before I go. I'm an unlimited customer so the 50p booking fee doesn't apply either (at present)
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodor89 wrote: »

That's if your cinema has screens that can turn. Ours can't. :(
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    There probably isn't any allocated seating during weekdays such as 1pm as it won't be needed. I just wanna turn up buy my ticket and sit where I want, not interested in this allocated rubbish.

There is apparently. My Brother was at cineworld yesterday afternoon to see "Chef" and he had to choose a seat, despite the fact there were 3 people in the entire showing
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    This week the film had just started, as I arrived in the cinema - no way was I going to find my seat - and as there was only about 15 people there....I sat where I liked..:D
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience so far after 3 allocated seating visits is that people now just turn up whenever they want and just use a mobile for a torch. Not annoying in anyway shape or form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food and drink prices increasing this month also.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the secret screening of Planet of the Apes the other night, my first experience with A.S. I entered the auditorium late, (due to a 20minute queue at the concession stand to buy some 3D glasses, as people were claiming their free drinks), so by the time I got in the lights were dimmed and the film just about to start. I'd picked a seat when I booked online, but there were no visible row or seat number markings, and I wasn't going to be fumbling around in the dark trying to find my booked seat. The screen wasn't totally full (about 75%) and so found a spare seat and sat down. I'd have moved if requested, but no-one bothered me.

Personally, I don't have too big an issue with A.S. - but that's because I generally book online so I can easily pick my seat, and I tend to go alone, so I don't have to co-ordinate allocated seats with friends. I'm also pretty easy-going about where I sit anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much.

However, from a general POV there are three fixes that are needed as I see it, to make AS work:

1) Daytime and low-attendance films don't need allocated seating. I guess it's easier/cheaper to implement AS for all screenings rather than just some, but even so, it's unnecessary. I don't know how draconian cineworld are being with AS for films with low audience numbers, but if they're forcing 15 people to sit together in an auditorium designed to hold 80, and not allowing people to move to unreserved seats, then that's wrong and needs to stop immediately. Ridiculous policy.

2) There needs to be the infrastructure to deal with AS. Staff on hand to guide people to their booked seats, and/or clearly marked row and seat numbers. Swift action should be taken with those who are seated in someone else's seats and refuse to move. I know Hodor upthread said they have dedicated seating teams, but that doesn't appear to have happened in many cinemas.

3) Group reservations. If a group of friends want to all go see a movie together one person has to buy the tickets at the same time to ensure they all get seated together, much like they do when buying tickets to the theatre, or for a concert or sports match. I don't think there is an easy fix for this, sadly, and we'll end up using the same process for the cinema as we do for the theatre, in having one person pay and the rest paying back. That doesn't solve the problem of groups of unlimited cardholders getting separate seats though.

Cineworld was going downhill when they closed the ticket booths and started selling tickets at the concessions stand instead, creating longer lines for those who just wanted a ticket and no food as they had to wait for those in front to order 2 large cokes, a bag of popcorn, a bag of sweets etc... and I think the way they've handled AS has lowered a lot of people's opinion of them.
    Forum Member
    I went to the secret screening of Planet of the Apes the other night, my first experience with A.S. I entered the auditorium late, (due to a 20minute queue at the concession stand to buy some 3D glasses, as people were claiming their free drinks), so by the time I got in the lights were dimmed and the film just about to start. I'd picked a seat when I booked online, but there were no visible row or seat number markings, and I wasn't going to be fumbling around in the dark trying to find my booked seat. The screen wasn't totally full (about 75%) and so found a spare seat and sat down. I'd have moved if requested, but no-one bothered me.

Personally, I don't have too big an issue with A.S. - but that's because I generally book online so I can easily pick my seat, and I tend to go alone, so I don't have to co-ordinate allocated seats with friends. I'm also pretty easy-going about where I sit anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much.

However, from a general POV there are three fixes that are needed as I see it, to make AS work:

1) Daytime and low-attendance films don't need allocated seating. I guess it's easier/cheaper to implement AS for all screenings rather than just some, but even so, it's unnecessary. I don't know how draconian cineworld are being with AS for films with low audience numbers, but if they're forcing 15 people to sit together in an auditorium designed to hold 80, and not allowing people to move to unreserved seats, then that's wrong and needs to stop immediately. Ridiculous policy.

2) There needs to be the infrastructure to deal with AS. Staff on hand to guide people to their booked seats, and/or clearly marked row and seat numbers. Swift action should be taken with those who are seated in someone else's seats and refuse to move. I know Hodor upthread said they have dedicated seating teams, but that doesn't appear to have happened in many cinemas.

3) Group reservations. If a group of friends want to all go see a movie together one person has to buy the tickets at the same time to ensure they all get seated together, much like they do when buying tickets to the theatre, or for a concert or sports match. I don't think there is an easy fix for this, sadly, and we'll end up using the same process for the cinema as we do for the theatre, in having one person pay and the rest paying back. That doesn't solve the problem of groups of unlimited cardholders getting separate seats though.

Cineworld was going downhill when they closed the ticket booths and started selling tickets at the concessions stand instead, creating longer lines for those who just wanted a ticket and no food as they had to wait for those in front to order 2 large cokes, a bag of popcorn, a bag of sweets etc... and I think the way they've handled AS has lowered a lot of people's opinion of them.
    With torches....:cool:

Booked my seat for Planet of the Apes on-line.....see how it works tomorrow....guessing it's going to be pretty full.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With premium seating coming in, if you don't book online you're going to end up with a really naff seat during a busy performance unless your willing to pay £2 extra for a premium seat, this will really have an effect on people just randomly decide to go to cinema, some people who might not be able to do online bookings and a group of kids who don't have debit cards as well as a group of unlimited card users
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see planet of the apes last night so the first really popular film i have experienced AS with.

First off the queues were massive thank to the box office being shut down so it was people battling to buy the ever so good value food as well as tickets. I also noticed the screens didnt swivel when people were buying tickets.

I had booked online and picked my fave seats for the screen we were in, near the front with a railing in front so no bobbing heads. When i booked I noticed the entire row was taken apart from the last 5 seats (of which i only wanted 2). As it turned out we were the only people on that row, the seats showing as booked never turned up so the system is flaky, i noticed similar things with the booked seating last week when we went to see Begin Again, people simply not turning up or more likely the seats were never booked.

As the trailers ran i went to the toilet mainly so i could have a good look at the seating on the way back in and everyone was cramped in to the same space in the middle, none of the self selecting gaps of only a couple of months ago.

Thankfully i didnt notice anyone turn up late so for once no mobile phone fumbling in the dark for seat numbers.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I'm confused. I've been going to Cineworld for years now and it's always been allocated seating, in both cinemas.
    Forum Member
    I'm confused. I've been going to Cineworld for years now and it's always been allocated seating, in both cinemas.
    I'm confused too. I've been going to Cineworld for years too and it's never been allocated seating.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I'm confused too. I've been going to Cineworld for years too and it's never been allocated seating.

I wonder if it was just an Aberdeen thing then or manager dependant, as both Aberdeen cinemas have always done it. Seems bizarre though, as you would not think they would have implemented the systems to allow you to book and choose your seats online for just some of their Cinemas.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High Wycombe Cineworld never had allocated seating.
    I've just taken to booking the tickets (unlimited) for me and my mate online so that I can choose the seats that we want. We like to have leg room so usually go for back row right at the top of the stairs, but if those are taken then I book end of a row, and luckily people are not normally seated near us, to annoy us.
  • SmokeysmateSmokeysmate Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I wonder if it was just an Aberdeen thing then or manager dependant, as both Aberdeen cinemas have always done it. Seems bizarre though, as you would not think they would have implemented the systems to allow you to book and choose your seats online for just some of their Cinemas.

Aberdeen and a couple of other Cineworld sites have always implemented allocated seating, Didsbury have dabbled with it over recent years and have used it more often than not in the last year or so.

However, given that A.S. has been used in some sites, it makes no sense that Cineworld haven't addressed problems such as the lighting issues and lack of seating plans available to view before rolling it out everywhere. They are still appealing to anyone who complains that they are patient while they amend issues. Surely the other sites are where they should have ironed out the concerns and problems?
    Forum Member
    Chose a seat on-line today and get to my seat 20 mins before it started {Hercules}, and someone was seating in my seat - couldn't be bothered to ask him and all his mates to move up one, so sat on the seat in front of them.

Is this stupid idea working - No!
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Chose a seat on-line today and get to my seat 20 mins before it started {Hercules}, and someone was seating in my seat - couldn't be bothered to ask him and all his mates to move up one, so sat on the seat in front of them.

Is this stupid idea working - No!

"Excuse me, I think you are in my seat".

It's not hard.