Options

Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Eddie Hemmings lost his father this morning, hence he wasn't on Super League duty tonight.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if its been noted but Graeme Swann has gone out to the Caribbean to commentate on the CPL.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Not sure if its been noted but Graeme Swann has gone out to the Caribbean to commentate on the CPL.

Yeah it does seem BT Sports has some effect on the CPL, they have already moved games to suit British audiences and have sent one commentator to the event.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Yeah it does seem BT Sports has some effect on the CPL, they have already moved games to suit British audiences and have sent one commentator to the event.

He also got a prime commentating spot in the last few overs culminating in that Darren Bravo six.
  • Options
    thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »

Who are the rest of the commentators out there, anyone know?
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are the rest of the commentators out there, anyone know?

I've certainly heard Danny Morrison, Rameez Raja, Tony Cozier and Ian Bishop, not sure of the full list though as it seems to change week by week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    I've certainly heard Danny Morrison, Rameez Raja, Tony Cozier and Ian Bishop, not sure of the full list though as it seems to change week by week

Isha Guha, Damien Martyn, Tom Moody, Simon Doull and Darren Ganga have been used as well.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Just a note that Andy Zaltzman, comedian and Cricinfo blogger, commentated on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days of the 2nd England v India Test for Star TV.
  • Options
    thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Just a note that Andy Zaltzman, comedian and Cricinfo blogger, commentated on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days of the 2nd England v India Test for Star TV.

Really? Brilliant, so sad that I couldn't hear it as I'm UK based, I'm a huge fan of his (the bugle etc.) and he is a proper cricket fanatic. Was he good, did he do a lead or summarising role?
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Didn't hear Andy Zaltzman myself, saw the news here http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2014/07/19/20593/stage_role_for_ronni_ancona. Would be funny if he got regular work though, given how cricket commentary is dominated by ex-pros.
  • Options
    OMcOMc Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Rugby - Saturday 26 July (Sky Sports 1)

Crusaders v Sharks - Semi Final

Rupert Cox presenting alongside Thinus Delport and Sean Fitzpatrick.

Commentators: Grant Nisbett & Justin Marshall

Sideline: Ian Smith

(as SKY Sport New Zealand)
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Commonwealth swimming presentation is truly dreadful. Homework not done - Clare Balding, sharing her expertise by telling us Australian Christian Sprenger hasn't been in great form, referred to him as South African and didn't correct herself when the chance arose.

Numerous home-country competitors completely ignored, experts talk rather than show us swimmers coming out to the blocks. They created a hype around Michael Jamison then as soon as he was beaten, moved on to the next guy.

Mark Foster and Rebecca Adlington know their stuff but it could not have been more woodenly put together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? Brilliant, so sad that I couldn't hear it as I'm UK based, I'm a huge fan of his (the bugle etc.) and he is a proper cricket fanatic. Was he good, did he do a lead or summarising role?

he been in Star Coverage quite a bit, he mainly been doing the summarising/Comedian role for the team.

If you really want to hear him for the next test, PM me I will send you links.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s

Commentary coming so far from various pairings of Nick Mullins, Scott Hastings, Andy Moore and Simon Mannix.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hastings has been on main and co-comm duty! :(. Mullins back doing rugby on the beeb! I presume the commentaries are a 'world feed' but with BBC voices to come. Andy Nicol has been on BBC 3 - so will turn up i'm sure. Presume Cotter will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Inverdale is in Ibrox with Andy Nicol and Jonathan Davies for the Scotland game. Looks like they will show more on main channels in both evenings.

Looks like the commentary assignments may be split with the current 4 or 5 used today and tomorrow daytime with maybe more recognised names of Cotter and co at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s - Saturday 26 July

Pool Stage - Rounds 1 - 3
    New Zealand v Canada: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix
    Australia v Sri Lanka: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Kenya v Cook Islands: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    Samoa v Papua New Guinea: Scott Hastings & Andy Moore
    Wales v Malaysia: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    South Africa v Trinidad & Tobago: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Canada v Barbados: Andy Moore & Simon Mannix
    Australia v Uganda: Nick Mullins & Scott Hastings
    England v Sri Lanka: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    New Zealand v Scotland: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix
    Papua New Guinea v Malaysia: Andy Moore & Simon Mannix
    Cook Islands v Trinidad & Tobago: Nick Mullins & Scott Hastings

So Nick Mullins won't be doing Premiership Sevens in Cardiff for BT tonight then.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMc wrote: »

Australia v Uganda - Nick Mullins & Scott Hastings

Nick really is the 'don' when it comes to the puns isn't he? When the two teams were coming out, his opening words were "so, let's take a gander at Uganda" :D
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Hugh Porter's cycling commentary....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premiership 7s Series - Saturday 26 July (BT Sport 1)

Pool A - Blues, Dragons, Ospreys & Scarlets

Sarra Elgan presenting from the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park alongside Lawrence Dallaglio and James Hook.

Commentators: Wyn Gruffydd & Lawrence Dallaglio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pool Stage - Rounds 4 - 6
    Scotland v Barbados: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix
    England v Uganda: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Wales v Papua New Guinea: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    Samoa v Malaysia: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    South Africa v Cook Islands: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Kenya v Trinidad & Tobago: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    New Zealand v Barbados: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Sri Lanka v Uganda: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    Canada v Scotland: Scott Hastings & Andy Moore
    Samoa v Wales: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    England v Australia: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    South Africa v Kenya: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Premiership 7s Series - Saturday 26 July (BT Sport 1)

Pool A - Blues, Dragons, Ospreys & Scarlets

Sarra Elgan presenting from the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park alongside Lawrence Dallaglio and James Hook.

Commentators: Wyn Gruffydd & Lawrence Dallaglio

S4C had Gareth Roberts with Aled Thomas (both pitchside), and commentary from Arthur Emyr and Nicky Robinson with Owain Gwynedd doing the interviews.

S4C took 'adopted' BT Sport score graphics, with interviewee captions the same Purple/Black style that BT use also.

Well done the Dragons!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pool Stage - Rounds 4 - 6
    Scotland v Barbados: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix
    England v Uganda: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Wales v Papua New Guinea: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    Samoa v Malaysia: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    South Africa v Cook Islands: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Kenya v Trinidad & Tobago: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    New Zealand v Barbados: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    Sri Lanka v Uganda: Andy Moore & Scott Hastings
    Canada v Scotland: Scott Hastings & Andy Moore
    Samoa v Wales: Nick Mullins & Andy Moore
    England v Australia: Nick Mullins & Simon Mannix
    South Africa v Kenya: Scott Hastings & Simon Mannix

Nick Mullins confirming that he and all the commentators on the CWG 7s are world feed. They will all be there tomorrow.

Mullins aside it's a poor line up, not even regular IRB 7s comms bar Hastings. Clearly no BBC input into the choosing of these comms either. Although I wasn't expecting Butler with the likes of Andy Cotter, John Beattie, Gareth Charles and co at the Beeb's disposal i'm disappointed not to hear these guys as part of the world feed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Mullins confirming that he and all the commentators on the CWG 7s are world feed. They will all be there tomorrow.

Mullins aside it's a poor line up, not even regular IRB 7s comms bar Hastings. Clearly no BBC input into the choosing of these comms either. Although I wasn't expecting Butler with the likes of Andy Cotter, John Beattie, Gareth Charles and co at the Beeb's disposal i'm disappointed not to hear these guys as part of the world feed.

Do the BBC not have the option to do their own commentary separately?

Mullins and Mannix have been OK, but Hastings and Moore have been unbearable at times.

I do feel for Nick Mullins sometimes, he seems to (BT aside) get some awful commentary partners (Phil Vickery at the RWC being another example).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the BBC not have the option to do their own commentary separately?

Mullins and Mannix have been OK, but Hastings and Moore have been unbearable at times.

I do feel for Nick Mullins sometimes, he seems to (BT aside) get some awful commentary partners (Phil Vickery at the RWC being another example).

BBC probably could - but it sounds like they won't, certinaly not now. Darren Lethem did post on the CWG's thread about what the BBC had their own comms at. However some of the world feeds have some 'BBC' voices such as Paul Mitchell on Bowls, Mullins to a sorts here on the rugby as he does tennis for the beeb still. However with having Inverdale and co pitchside seems bizarre not having likes of Cotter there for the BBC or a part of a better world feed. Mannix and Moore aren't on the IRB feed are they(?) they are pretty poor. I go on about Scott Hastings unhealthily. :D

With the BBC guys at the disposal (even from the regions) which I mentioned above or the likes of Starmer-Smith it's baffling. I sensed Mullins would be there from his tweets this week but was looking forward to a strong BBC line up for the rugby, in probably the best sevens atmosphere ever this weekend. (Bar maybe the Borders sevens circuit, being biased Borderer, which includes more than just overhyped Melrose by the way :p)