Options

Should women do the housework?

barry_899barry_899 Posts: 201
Forum Member
I'm slighly old fashioned and think that women should be able to do things like cooking and looking after the house. Of course they can have careers too, but they should be houseproud too. My gf disagrees. Shes really lazy and can't cook anything other than beans on toast. I do most of the cooking. Last night we had an argument cause the cat threw up on the carpet and we couldn't agree on who should clean it up. She said she didn't want to get her hands dirty. Well, neither do I!

What do yous all think?

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    You both sound lazy if neither of you want to clean up something as filthy as cat sick
    Draw up a rota and stick to it, you are both adults and you are both responsible for your home.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I think people should work out between themselves who wants to do what. In your case, you don't have an agreement, and need to work on it. I think that in your case you have problems that you need to work out between the pair of you, and if you can't agree, you should see a counsellor.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool story 'bro'

You're 6th post and it just so happens to be a thread topic that you know will rile people...

Troll
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely whoever stays at home as to take the bulk of the responsibility.

I've never understood why one partner can graft at work all day yet get home and be told by their other half 'You can clean half the house tonight too'

How does that work?

What if the partner who worked said 'Okay, my dear, I'll clean half the house with me if you finish the Peterson Accounts by 11am tomorrow and complete half my paperwork that requires doing for the Zurich takeover'

Or if someone asks their 'stay at home' partner to finish off the second half of the conservatory they build at work that day, in exchange for doing the washing up and clearing out the spare room.

...I suspect the response wouldn't be positive.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

They should be chained, bare foot and pregnant, to the kitchen sink :rolleyes:

Seriously....if neither of you want to clear up cat sick, what is the state of your house like? :eek:
  • Options
    EleKtroEleKtro Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In most relationships it kind of just happens. Men do the diy, bins, spiders, intruders and women to cooking cleaning etc

works out just fine
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Push her face in it until she cleans it up.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barry_899 wrote: »
    I'm slighly old fashioned and think that women should be able to do things like cooking and looking after the house. Of course they can have careers too, but they should be houseproud too. My gf disagrees. Shes really lazy and can't cook anything other than beans on toast. I do most of the cooking. Last night we had an argument cause the cat threw up on the carpet and we couldn't agree on who should clean it up. She said she didn't want to get her hands dirty. Well, neither do I!

What do yous all think?

Wow, thats very kind of you:rolleyes: Jesus, what bloody century do you live in? Mind you, you're new so probably trolling to get a reaction so I wont bother to say what I really think. Just to say you 2 wont last.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you both work it should be shared. In our house OH cooks, I do the ironing, & we have a cleaner cos otherwise we'd never have any time off.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool story 'bro'

You're 6th post and it just so happens to be a thread topic that you know will rile people...

Troll

Yup! In one!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do yous all think?

Well they are "able to" aren't they, if they so choose - or do you mean that they should "have to" ?

Maybe your gf can actually cook perfectly well but knows what a chauvinist you are and chooses to pretend she can't.

And I see from your previous posts that you are not getting enough sex at the moment. Happenchance this is why ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be 50/50. My ex couldn't cook either but I can so I cooked for us. As for arguing about cleaning up cat sick wtf? That should be cleaned straight away by either of you. It doesn't exactly take long. I agree with the poster who said you both sound lazy.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool story 'bro'

Troll

*sits back and awaits the numerous replies from people actually taking him seriously* :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't either of you bother, I'll watch out for you on Life of grime in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool story 'bro'

Troll

when will some people get over this troll phase?

you can still debate the premise even if the OP is inflammatory.

stop trying to be cool and join the debate:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should try cleaning up troll-dung, then you'd have a right to moan. That stuff gets everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cleaned it up eventually. We both work but I do all the repairs and "manly" stuff so It's only fair she should do the housework.
    I don't mean to anger people, just wondering what people's experiences are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would gladly do the housework if some guy was willing to go out and work and support me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed and would free me from rush hour traffic and office politics and meetings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And what are all these "troll" references about? Am I missing something? This is the first forum I've joined.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EleKtro wrote: »
    when will some people get over this troll phase?

you can still debate the premise even if the OP is inflammatory.

stop trying to be cool and join the debate:rolleyes:

No....it indulges in exactly what they want....to irritate people.

There is no premise to discuss.....maybe in victorian times but not now.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I think people should work out between themselves who wants to do what. In your case, you don't have an agreement, and need to work on it. I think that in your case you have problems that you need to work out between the pair of you, and if you can't agree, you should see a counsellor.

I'm going to open myself up for much abuse here but I have no problem with doing the housework, it's what I do best. I leave the man of the house to do the digging in the garden, the mowing of the lawns, the washing up, the disposal of unwanted creepy crawlies, fixing the plumbing that occasionally goes wrong, fill the walls (as appropriate) when we decorate, assemble items of furniture purchased from Ikea, lays carpets as well as a professional carpet fitter, paints the outside of the house, fixes any loose screws, reaches parts of the household that I cannot because I'm vertically challenged, drives me anywhere that I want to go better than any taxi I could call and goes out to work to bring home the cash to keep me in the style to which I'm accustomed. A bit of dusting, polishing and cooking is small reward for all that my man does for me. And the best thing of all is that he actually loves me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it isnt irritating me, so what if the OP is telling the truth or not,it sparks up a debate and we can all give an opinion.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cleaned it up eventually. We both work but I do all the repairs and "manly" stuff so It's only fair she should do the housework.
    I don't mean to anger people, just wondering what people's experiences are.

That everyone's relationships are different. Fixed role expectation to one may not be acceptable to another, nor practical; hopefully it can be mutually sorted but if expectations do not match, or compromise cannot be reached, then surely the relationship is doomed.

Doomed, I tells ya!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No....it indulges in exactly what they want....to irritate people.

There is no premise to discuss.....maybe in victorian times but not now.

The fact that most women still do most of the housework in 2011 is a debate.

You seem to be the only poster irritated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm going to open myself up for much abuse here but I have no problem with doing the housework, it's what I do best. I leave the man of the house to do the digging in the garden, the mowing of the lawns, the washing up, the disposal of unwanted creepy crawlies, fixing the plumbing that occasionally goes wrong, fill the walls (as appropriate) when we decorate, assemble items of furniture purchased from Ikea, lays carpets as well as a professional carpet fitter, paints the outside of the house, fixes any loose screws, reaches parts of the household that I cannot because I'm vertically challenged, drives me anywhere that I want to go better than any taxi I could call and goes out to work to bring home the cash to keep me in the style to which I'm accustomed. A bit of dusting, polishing and cooking is small reward for all that my man does for me. And the best thing of all is that he actually loves me.

All thise things you listed I do all those too, just because I like to keep busy and enjoy DIY as well as the housewrok.