Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »

Have to agree though commenting on the loss of a job any reasonable person would realise (especially knowing why the last guy lost the job) was dependent on safe driving comes across as petulant. He would have been better off not commenting or admitting he was an ijiot.

I have always been struck by the warmth and naturalness of MC in interviews. I put this one down to he was just having a bad day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    As people age, and see their own lives and their own ways of reacting to the vagaries of multifold experiences, we understand that actors, well, are people, too.

This is a little aside and please forgive me for it, Mona, but it's involuntary. From possibly my favorite Mel Brooks movie, "The Producers" (the original movie, not the musical):

Bloom: Actors are not animals! They're human beings.

Bialystock: They are? Have you ever eaten with one?

Okay, back to MC. Me five. Statesidefan, not heresy at all. Very well thought out and very well said.

And Mona, although I got sidetracked above, you're so very right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    I am always shocked that Ford have Kiefer Sutherland as their spokesman, even though he has numerous drunk driving charges and, still to this day, his voice is used in their commercials.

He does? Where? (Sorry, whale, but I don't know where you are).

In the US Mike Rowe has been doing the Ford commercials for several years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://ccatzunofficial.wix.com/caroline-catz-unofficial-website#!__dm-s4-atricle

OK -- I finally found it. Hard to locate because it wasn't a video interview but written and I had obviously conflated it with the clips previously cited by SusieS and ConnieJ. :o:o:o

Thank you for that link, NewPark. I had read this article previously, but it's been quite some time ago, and it's perfect to re-read at just this moment during our re-watch.

There are several comments from Caroline Catz that relate so well to our current discussions and explain a lot of what we've all tossed back and forth. For example,

''We have seen her for three series attempting to change him. The jilting at the altar was an act of facing up to the fact that she wouldn't be honestly and truthfully going into the marriage without the hope of him being different.

''She realised it wouldn't be honest to marry someone you wanted to change. She made a decision not to do that. I really admired her for doing that, and also him for making that decision. It was deeply sad.

I think the most interesting statement came when CC said, "It wouldn't be honest to marry someone you wanted to change." She didn't say LG's part in calling it off was because she realized she couldn't change Martin. It was because it wouldn't be honest. What happened in S4 and S5 was perhaps the two of them learning more about each other and gradually (I hope) coming to an acceptance of who the other is. At least I think that's what has happened to Martin. Look at everything they've been through, good and bad. Still, at the castle, we see that Martin still loves Louisa (and says it for the first time - sober) and wants to spend his life with her.

What's missing is the Louisa side of the equation, especially since she's the one who in S5 said, "This is the way it's always gonna be," and left. But it's pretty obvious what her feelings are at the castle. She still loves him too, but needs more reassurance than he's given her in the past. In the article, CC addressed the LG problem too:

''She blames him. She doesn't really look at her own dysfunction, which is that she has a bit of a righteous perspective and finds it very difficult to admit she is wrong.''
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    He does? Where? (Sorry, whale, but I don't know where you are).

In the US Mike Rowe has been doing the Ford commercials for several years.

Kiefer Sutherland has been (and still is) the voice of Bank of America for years (I should know :D). I would think they would be even more antsy about something like that.

I do like Mike Rowe in the Ford commercials - he is a very likable spokesperson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Kiefer Sutherland has been (and still is) the voice of Bank of America for years (I should know :D). I would think they would be even more antsy about something like that.

I do like Mike Rowe in the Ford commercials - he is a very likable spokesperson.

In thinking about it and the comments about how other 'sinners' are schlepping products I am beginning to understand a bit of MC's 'anger' at Churchill's hypocrisy (for lack of a better term) behind his statement.

Think about it. If Churchill wants their spox to be 'purer than Caesar's wife' they would have never hired MC in the first place. He has a drunk driving conviction on his record that is public knowledge. And, after all, who has NOT gotten a speeding ticket in their life or accidentally ran through a stop sign and got caught. I used to have a 'concourse' perfect 1989 Honda CRX SI and I got tickets galore in it because it was a red 'sportscar'. I got a tickets for things that most cops will overlook like failure to signal a lane change, driving 2 miles an hour over the speed limit (in a state where anything under 15 mph over can be easily written off your record by going to 'dum-dum' school that you can now do over the internet), driving outside of my lane (in that instance I think the cop 'suspected' that I was drunk or stoned-he searched my vehicle, gave me the drunk test. I don't drink and drive or do drugs and am usually the 'designated driver' when out with friends.), etc.

In 2002 an idjit yapping on a cell phone blew through a stop light and wrecked by beloved CRX (G_d, I miss that car...). I got a Honda Civic SI and then a Honda Fit (Jazz for our UK friends)-haven't changed my driving habits at all, I also have not had a ticket since then either. Why? Because I am not driving a little red sportscar with dark tinted windows that young guys who wear hoodies soup up and now all they see is a grey haired lady driving a 'age appropriate' car.

In MC's case I would not be a bit surprised if he is being 'stalked' by the cops-the thought of a high profile bust gives most cops a 'stiffy' and MC is definetly not 'purer than Caesar's wife'.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. I bet his wife kicked his ass for it, though. If you look at his history he is much closer to Gary Strang than William Shawcross in real life. He may have mellowed thanks to the influence of his wife and daughter plus the fact that he no longer lives in London with its great temptations but there are some character flaws that you can try to stifle but will emerge froom time to time. I have seen more than one interview where the reporter managed to push the right buttons on him and you can see that has a quick trigger temper, becomes very sarcastic and opens mouth before brain is engaged or, in the case of this interview, throws himself a public pity party.

As to being 'me' orientated that come with the job. Actors, by and large, have large egos and are rather insecure. I don't think you could be a good actor without those traits.

Also I personally would not be a bit surprised if he did eventually 'semi retire' and farm once their finances allow it. He doesn't like being away from his family for long periods of time and I am sure that has cost him one or two juicy jobs.

I have always taken the statement in S5E8 at the kidnapping scene at the Castle where LG tells DM to tell Mrs. T. that he is a "difficult person" as very strong and one more revelation of the real MC. After all, little by little he has peeled away another layer of himself in this series.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In thinking about it and the comments about how other 'sinners' are schlepping products I am beginning to understand a bit of MC's 'anger' at Churchill's hypocrisy (for lack of a better term) behind his statement.

Think about it. If Churchill wants their spox to be 'purer than Caesar's wife' they would have never hired MC in the first place. He has a drunk driving conviction on his record that is public knowledge. And, after all, who has NOT gotten a speeding ticket in their life or accidentally ran through a stop sign and got caught. I used to have a 'concourse' perfect 1989 Honda CRX SI and I got tickets galore in it because it was a red 'sportscar'. I got a tickets for things that most cops will overlook like failure to signal a lane change, driving 2 miles an hour over the speed limit (in a state where anything under 15 mph over can be easily written off your record by going to 'dum-dum' school that you can now do over the internet), driving outside of my lane (in that instance I think the cop 'suspected' that I was drunk or stoned-he searched my vehicle, gave me the drunk test. I don't drink and drive or do drugs and am usually the 'designated driver' when out with friends.), etc.

In 2002 an idjit yapping on a cell phone blew through a stop light and wrecked by beloved CRX (G_d, I miss that car...). I got a Honda Civic SI and then a Honda Fit (Jazz for our UK friends)-haven't changed my driving habits at all, I also have not had a ticket since then either. Why? Because I am not driving a little red sportscar with dark tinted windows that young guys who wear hoodies soup up and now all they see is a grey haired lady driving a 'age appropriate' car.

In MC's case I would not be a bit surprised if he is being 'stalked' by the cops-the thought of a high profile bust gives most cops a 'stiffy' and MC is definetly not 'purer than Caesar's wife'.

I think it's likely that he signed a contract with a clause in it that required him to maintain a safe driving profile, whether he read it or not. I imagine this would have been pointed out to him again after his second or third offense. He's a grown-up, he did it, best keep his complaints about the unfairness of it all to himself. Just my rather puritanical opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

An addendum to my post...

if Churchill would have been smart they would have used what happened as an advertising tool/public service announcement. Have MC riding around in his red buggy with Ronnie or Bruce pulling it along with the Churchill dog beside him chatting (wittily, of course) about driving safely and obeying all traffic laws-Ohhhh, Yessss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    You might have the ratings filter on but here is the link to it.

Just For A Laugh

Thanks, that was really funny and I did reset my ratings filter so that I can see all the stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    Sorry, no. If you want to know if a particular question has been asked, I can go and look though I may not be able to at the moment as the site's down for maintenance.

Thanks for the follow up madmother - I enjoy the poll questions and just was wondering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Thanks, that was really funny and I did reset my ratings filter so that I can see all the stories.

But I'll never look at Pauline in the same way again.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's also possible that the rant had more to do with how Churchill communicated this decision to him. Being involved in large corporations myself, I can imagine that they just sent a letter to his agent filled with legalese. He may have developed good working relationships with some people in the company and was upset over the way it was handled. My gosh, he was in the wrong for speeding too often (or more accurately, getting caught), but celebrities have done far worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    But I'll never look at Pauline in the same way again.:eek:

I skimmed through it, but I just couldn't accept the premise. I just couldn't buy that pairing. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC is guest on "The One Show" on BBC1 tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7pm GMT.
    Also on is Brenda Blethyn who starred in Saving Grace, the film in which the character of Doc Martin first appeared.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! I've finally got the Doc right where I want him!
    http://twitter.com/Reneebird_/status/296329374477717504/photo/1
    Thanks, statesidefan!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a reply from Dominic Minghella - very interesting!

To DM: "The Doc Martin Buddha still intrigues. It's prominent, moves, has satellite Buddhas. Real meaning or just prop guys having fun?"

From DM: "Hi Linda, I think I wanted to put in a Chinese God of Happiness - idea made me smile given Doc's unhappiness - but TBH ..."

From DM: "... I can't remember! It was a decade ago. I'd have to check my scripts. Sorry can't be more sure!"

Here's my take. He may well have come up with the idea or someone suggested it to him and he said "yes," but the Buddha was not designed to be a big part of the show. Just another sort of visual layer to the program, like so many interesting things we've picked up that were never designed as the focal point of the shots (e.g. silhouetted couple having sex, the erect vegetables.) The prop guys kind of "went" with it, pulling in the director and the writers, and the gold Buddha was finally featured in the action in the two last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An addendum to my post...

if Churchill would have been smart they would have used what happened as an advertising tool/public service announcement. Have MC riding around in his red buggy with Ronnie or Bruce pulling it along with the Churchill dog beside him chatting (wittily, of course) about driving safely and obeying all traffic laws-Ohhhh, Yessss.

Or put him in the sidecar and make the dog drive.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To DM: "The Doc Martin Buddha still intrigues. It's prominent, moves, has satellite Buddhas. Real meaning or just prop guys having fun?"

From DM: "Hi Linda, I think I wanted to put in a Chinese God of Happiness - idea made me smile given Doc's unhappiness - but TBH ..."

From DM: "... I can't remember! It was a decade ago. I'd have to check my scripts. Sorry can't be more sure!"

Here's my take. He may well have come up with the idea or someone suggested it to him and he said "yes," but the Buddha was not designed to be a big part of the show. Just another sort of visual layer to the program, like so many interesting things we've picked up that were never designed as the focal point of the shots (e.g. silhouetted couple having sex, the erect vegetables.) The prop guys kind of "went" with it, pulling in the director and the writers, and the gold Buddha was finally featured in the action in the two last series.

Brilliant Statesidefan. You may have Finally found the answer that we've all wanted to know for so long! :D:D:D
    I realize that D. Minghella has been asked this before, but, maybe he's thought about it and remembered. :)
    Hopefully, he'll check his scripts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Aha! I've finally got the Doc right where I want him!
    http://twitter.com/Reneebird_/status/296329374477717504/photo/1
    Thanks, statesidefan!

Hah! You've got two...two...two Docs in one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very interesting, statesidefan. Thanks.

So Dominic wanted a "Chinese God of Happiness", which he found amusing because Doc is unhappy. When I look up Chinese god of happiness in google I get bunches and bunches of smiling Buddhas.

Holy cow! Is it that simple?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, get ready for some heresy. . .

I think these remarks are interesting actually because, like Cary Grant, MC did invent himself. He turned himself into the man he decided to be. I just read almost all the long list of print interviews for the past 10 years, and, like on TV, he hits all the same talking points. I'm a changed man, love my wife and daughter, can't bear to be away from them, hate London, love the farm, love dogs, love horses, could love lemurs and manta rays, am a benefactor and philanthropist, and - more lately - DM is horrid, I'm tired of playing him, and am really a character actor.

It's not always easy to know, even with his charming, humorous, and compelling manner, how much of this is the script he has decided on - the face he decides to show to the public - and how much is spontaneous, still true, and freshly processed. The lines work until they don't work. Every now and again, something happens that causes him to go off script. There are a number of things that aggravate him or that he's wrestling with: turning 50, his ex-wife's tales, not being able to drive, not getting the acting parts he wants, carrying the burden of the DM success.

This is just to say that he's like everybody else, still trying to figure things out when what happens in real life doesn't always jibe with the person you think you are or the "character" you're playing. When he's going through "growing pains" or has a bad day or month it's often more public than for the rest of us. So I don't blame him for feeling the way he does and letting off steam - it's just that it's so fascinating from someone who has worked so hard at constructing the man he wants us to see.

"All the world's a stage"
    This is very interesting. When you go out into the world, are you being yourself, the person you are at home? Or, are you wearing a mask, showing others how you want to be perceived?
    The truth is we don't know what someone is really like unless we live with them. Hmmm, I wouldn't mind volunteering for this little experiment! ;)
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Kiefer Sutherland does the voiceover for Ford Canada only!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Very interesting, statesidefan. Thanks.

So Dominic wanted a "Chinese God of Happiness", which he found amusing because Doc is unhappy. When I look up Chinese god of happiness in google I get bunches and bunches of smiling Buddhas.

Holy cow! Is it that simple?

I think it is. Irony fits better with the dramedy than deeper meanings.

(an ironic statement in itself, since I am always one pushing for deeper meanings!) :D
This discussion has been closed.