Smelly Hoover

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
Forum Member
There is an awful smell coming from my Hoover, it's like stale sick. Prob my fault for hoovering anything and everything. Iv taken it apart and gave it a good clean. Apart from buying a new Hoover is there anything I can do? Iv put a shake in vac drop in but dosent really work.

Comments

• pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id just go out and buy a new one if I were you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cut up one of those smelly tree things you get for a car, then hoover it up

hoover will smell nice for days
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Sprinkle the floor with bi carbonate of soda Do it on tiles or wooden as the bicarb gets into the carpet and hoover it up .Leave it in the hoover bag for a while and see if it absorbs the smell .

After that try sprinkling an essential oil , Lemon grass is great, on a tissue and pop it in the bag and hoover as normal.
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    cut up one of those smelly tree things you get for a car, then hoover it up

hoover will smell nice for days

Going to try that out , a great idea .I sometimes use a tissue with essential oil and pop it in the bag .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Thanks! Will give your ideas a try. House smells like a thousand camel breaths after iv hoovered! Lol.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy some cheap pot pourri and hoover that up.

Edit: I'm a fine one to give advice. My Henry stinks of dog. I tried putting a fragrance stick in the bag, but it was a pine one and now the house stinks of toilet AND dog when I vacuum.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use shake 'n' vac.
    Will put the freshness back!
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Fiona72 wrote: »
    There is an awful smell coming from my Hoover, it's like stale sick. Prob my fault for hoovering anything and everything. Iv taken it apart and gave it a good clean. Apart from buying a new Hoover is there anything I can do? Iv put a shake in vac drop in but dosent really work.

Do you know I had the exact same problem yesterday! I thought it was a smell coming in from outdoors via the window when I first smelt it. Haven't done anything about it though, apart from emptying the dust compartment. I'm hoping that will solve it.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might need to change the filters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    change or wash the inside filters

a tip i saw on Kim and Aggie cleaning ladies is to put a dap of oil on some cotton wool, and shove in the bag or in the actual hoover itself..nice smells comes out then :)
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy air freshners for vacuum cleaners. £1 for 6 in the original factory shop.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Change the bag. Clean all the filters. Make sure gunk's not blocking hose.

Shake N' Vac is sooo 80s :D.

Neutradol Vac Bag Deodorizer.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened to me after I used my hoover to unblock my bath plughole and sucked up some water. If you've been trying something similar I would recommend giving it some time to dry out and it will be fine again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Use shake 'n' vac.
    Will put the freshness back!

the vanilla flavour ones are rather nice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    You might need to change the filters.

I would say the filters need washing or changing. It's amazing how dirty they get. You don't want to mask the smell you want rid. You can buy spares for most things nowadays so filters won't be a problem if you can't wash them.
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    This happened to me after I used my hoover to unblock my bath plughole and sucked up some water. If you've been trying something similar I would recommend giving it some time to dry out and it will be fine again.

Reminded me of a friend of mine who was hoovering in the bathroom and spotted that one of the kids had thrown sweet wrappers in the loo . She , without thinking , took the brush off and hoovered the wrappers up with the hose .Not thinking that the hoover didnt know what she wanted hoovering it sucked up all the water too, blew the bag up like a balloon and it and its contents spewed all over the bathroom ............:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminded me of a friend of mine who was hoovering in the bathroom and spotted that one of the kids had thrown sweet wrappers in the loo . She , without thinking , took the brush off and hoovered the wrappers up with the hose .Not thinking that the hoover didnt know what she wanted hoovering it sucked up all the water too, blew the bag up like a balloon and it and its contents spewed all over the bathroom ............:D

:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::D
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sounds like something I'd do :eek:
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    When i was a student i decided it would be a great idea to hoover up my vomit as it had dried quite a lot and looked essentially like scrambled eggs.

It was not a good idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I thought I was the only one who hoovered up everything and anything! Some of your stories made me laugh! Especially hoovering up vomit lol. I think the main reason my Hoover stinks as I have been hoovering up bits of cereal and milk my toddlers have spilled. Anyway I will give some of your ideas a try. Cheers x
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I would have thought (and no, I'm not planning to do an in-depth study of this...) that if you hoover up milk then what will happen is that some of that milk will coat the inside of the tube and hose and then slowly go off. Unless you clean out the inside of the tube and hose then I would suspect you will have trouble getting rid of the smell.

Dry dust and fluff may well coat the inside of the tube/hose too but it normally would not go off and make a smell. Anything liquid (depending on consistency) might well be vaporised into small droplets and coat lots of things inside the cleaner on the way to the bag, depending on what volume of liquid is involved.