Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
Forum Member
MUSLIMS!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

OK, now that's out the way...

My problem is not so much with Subway removing ham and bacon from the menu, but the introduction of turkey ham. This is the biggest abomination as it was bad enough with Dolly the Sheep, let alone splicing together the genome of Bernard Matthews and Pippa Pig.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MUSLIMS!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

OK, now that's out the way...

My problem is not so much with Subway removing ham and bacon from the menu, but the introduction of turkey ham. This is the biggest abomination as it was bad enough with Dolly the Sheep, let alone splicing together the genome of Bernard Matthews and Pippa Pig.

Disgusting! I don't eat from Subway very often at all, but now i won't be eating there at all. If i'm eating halal meat, i want to know if i am.
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Maybe I am missing something here..could they not have just added halal meat to the options, rather than removing bacon and ham too? :confused:
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turkey ham has been used in as a pizza-topping in pizza takeaways for donks.....nobody noticed.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Large company in doing-something-that-will-meet-the-requirements-of-their-local-clientele shocker!!!!!!
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Disgusting! I don't eat from Subway very often at all, but now i won't be eating there at all. If i'm eating halal meat, i want to know if i am.
    customers can identify those stores selling halal food by the special 'All meats are Halal' sign, which must be displayed in participating branches.

Still seems a bit daft though tbh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    Turkey ham has been used in as a pizza-topping in pizza takeaways for donks.....nobody noticed.

If I recall correctly, that was them trying to pass off the cheaper turkey ham as normal ham though.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I recall correctly, that was them trying to pass off the cheaper turkey ham as normal ham though.
    I've no idea.

What I do know is that nobody noticed and nobody cared either....well, not enough to boycott these places anyway.

People who eat from them are probably more concerned about price, than ethics/religious considerations.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Yes it has and has been featured on tv (Watchdog I think) and also brought to the attention of trading standards - they must not pass it off as ham which many places try to do.
    Forum Member
    People who eat from them are probably more concerned about price, than ethics/religious considerations.

Or they like bacon. A chicken and bacon sandwich is manna from heaven to me. Chicken and turkey ham/rashers doesn't quite have the same appeal.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everything is in separate compartments, isn't it? pork won't contaminate the other bits

I have to say, if you do not eat pork related products, you deprive yourself of a lot of food choices.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Buy your own bacon and ham and make your own brekkie at home. It's healthier, you know that you got proper bacon and ham, and as for Subway, when they see they are losing punters, I'm sure they will rethink their policy.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    But why is it that we have to conform to other people's religious views?

No problem with them adding it as an option but where is our option not to?

Seems that they can force us but if we tried to force them, could you imagine the outrage and riots.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    That's Subway added to my list of boycotts then.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    is pepperoni and salami now going to be made with turkey as well - at this rate nothing will be left to eat.....i wont be buying anything from subway anytime soon
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Subway is shit anyway.
    No loss.

I recall many places in the States selling 'turkey ham'.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member

Because, unfortunately, we live in a world where political correctness overrides common sense.:(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If more people used subway then it likely wouldn't have come to this but it's nothing more than supply and demand so a big "meh" from me.

I'd bet good money that many of "the outraged" haven't actually eaten at Subway for years ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    That's Subway added to my list of boycotts then.

Yep. With any luck, this story will gain momentum and will end up costing Subway big time.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Seems that they can force us but if we tried to force them, could you imagine the outrage and riots.

I suppose the argument is, Subway is an option not a necessity, If they wish to cater to only one group then go somewhere else....Or go to a subway that is non halal

Some are halal some are not so both choices are covered, Just not in the same branch....Pick which you visit. I know where i live you can't walk more than 10 minutes without passing one. So IF i wanted one i would be able to find one
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Subway is a business. They exist to make money. They have clearly realised that they will make more money in certain areas if they go halal only. If you don't like like, don't eat there. They aren't forcing you to do anything.
    Forum Member
    http://i.imgur.com/WZipu3E.jpg

I guess she's got to go now too.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All this religious malarkey is just sending this country backwards in time. Especially, with regards to animal welfare. Shame, as we were progressing away from religious interference.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://i.imgur.com/WZipu3E.jpg

I guess she's got to go now too.

:D:D:D
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This country is turning into a muslim country.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    as for Subway, when they see they are losing punters, I'm sure they will rethink their policy.

I'd suspect this was a business decision by Subway to make the company more money and absolutely bugger all to do with political correctness, appeasing the reigious or any other way anyone wants to spin it. If it wasn't, it would have been rolled out for every single one of their stores, not just 185 of them.

I'd further suspect that the 185 stores in question are located in areas where there is a high local Muslim population.

It's simply good business sense. No more.