James Jordan

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I was disappointed to hear him say this:

"I did say to the BBC I 'm not going to cling on, like some of the dancers do, like I need Strictly in my life".
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-wright-stuff/episodes/episode-141-56

The implication is that dancers like Ian Waite do. I think it's lovely to see them on the Specials or ITT when they're no longer on the main show rota of pros. If you have a teaching career, I think appearing on the Strictly Specials is a boost for your career, and a fun diversion from your main job. The same would've applied to James, should he have done so.

Hi La Rhumba - thanks for the quote - I did remember the bit where said he didn't want to cling on but must have missed the second part which could be perceived as a dig towards the other dancers that are still part of the strictly 'family' - so perhaps he wasn't quite so diplomatic after all! I still think he was more toned down than when he's on twitter or quoted in the press.

It's been said before but he's not doing himself any favours - at the end of the day being part of strictly for the pros is good earner so I don't blame dancers like Ian who still want to be part of it in whatever capacity - they get to showcase their skills and knowledge. James made his choice not remain part of strictly but there's no need to have dig at those who do.

I think James must have left on bad terms with the producers which is why he couldn't swallow his pride and accept whatever they were offering - I think it's probably his loss - there'll still be plenty of dancers willing to take those extra roles on ITT and specials.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand if Pros feel upset when they lose their Strictly place (as a main pro), that's natural, fully expected and allowed (within certain degree). I think if James were to go on and on beyond that certain degree (which I'm not sure yet if he has) then I'd worry he'll start to sound as bitter as Nicole (formerly Nicole Cutler) who got dropped from the show quite a while ago now, yet still to this day does (as is sometimes still exposd in her Twitter comments) comes across as bitter about her depature which was an experience shared by plenty of other pros that, for whatever reason, unlike her, were able to leave the show with good grace despite their sacking being unreasonable in the manner of way it was done. I had/still have full respect for her as a dancer as she has certainly earnt that respect for her career, but when she was dropped she didn't just say her piece and then gracefully move on, she kept on having the odd dig (even as recent as last year's show) and so, in that aspect, I lost some respect for her. Of course I have no problem people speaking the truth if it needs to be aired, but there is way to express yourself and I think an eventual cut off point needs to occur, otherwise you just look like you're not over it (which prob then says as much about the dancer that got sacked than it does the BBC for the manner in which it scaked them). All these dancers know being on a TV show is an opportunity that is a rare and sometimes potentially short lived one, so they have to make the best of it while they have the opportunity, then take what they can from it (positives and negatives) when they get sacked/or retire from TV. At the moment Jame's venting is almost humourous and I welcome it to the extent he's done it, but if he prolongs it for too long then it will start to match the same sad and bitter state that Nicole's has and then you won't feel sorry for him anymore and the opposite sentiment will start to be felt. I doubt he'd care what others think of him (at least on the outside), but still, I think hold your head up high and move on gracefully is the best move for ex pros.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I think hold your head up high and move on gracefully is the best move for ex pros.

Indeed, just as the Bennets did, and got alot of work out of it on the Turkish and Middle Eastern versions of Strictly, either as Judges, Choreographers, helping set up the shows in those countries etc. There's plenty of work after Strictly, if you keep your avenues of contact open. :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unlike her, were able to leave the show with good grace despite their sacking

It may be just a moot point, but as mentioned before no one actually gets sacked from Strictly. The contract is for one series only, in other words, it is no more than a temporary job, and anyone who has worked as a temp will tell you, at the end of the contract you leave. If later on a temp is offered another contract then all well and good; if not they simply move on to the next job.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand if Pros feel upset when they lose their Strictly place (as a main pro), that's natural, fully expected and allowed (within certain degree). I think if James were to go on and on beyond that certain degree (which I'm not sure yet if he has) then I'd worry he'll start to sound as bitter as Nicole (formerly Nicole Cutler) who got dropped from the show quite a while ago now, yet still to this day does (as is sometimes still exposd in her Twitter comments) comes across as bitter about her depature which was an experience shared by plenty of other pros that, for whatever reason, unlike her, were able to leave the show with good grace despite their sacking being unreasonable in the manner of way it was done. I had/still have full respect for her as a dancer as she has certainly earnt that respect for her career, but when she was dropped she didn't just say her piece and then gracefully move on, she kept on having the odd dig (even as recent as last year's show) and so, in that aspect, I lost some respect for her. Of course I have no problem people speaking the truth if it needs to be aired, but there is way to express yourself and I think an eventual cut off point needs to occur, otherwise you just look like you're not over it (which prob then says as much about the dancer that got sacked than it does the BBC for the manner in which it scaked them). All these dancers know being on a TV show is an opportunity that is a rare and sometimes potentially short lived one, so they have to make the best of it while they have the opportunity, then take what they can from it (positives and negatives) when they get sacked/or retire from TV. At the moment Jame's venting is almost humourous and I welcome it to the extent he's done it, but if he prolongs it for too long then it will start to match the same sad and bitter state that Nicole's has and then you won't feel sorry for him anymore and the opposite sentiment will start to be felt. I doubt he'd care what others think of him (at least on the outside), but still, I think hold your head up high and move on gracefully is the best move for ex pros.
    BIB^^^ Nicole has more reason than James to be bitter, given that she was dropped from the Strictly lineup specifically for something that she didn't actually do. I agree that she can come across a bit as sour grapes and that can be somewhat off-putting, but I can understand why she might feel that way.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/dec/22/now-apology-strictly-come-dancing
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    It may be just a moot point, but as mentioned before no one actually gets sacked from Strictly. The contract is for one series only, in other words, it is no more than a temporary job, and anyone who has worked as a temp will tell you, at the end of the contract you leave. If later on a temp is offered another contract then all well and good; if not they simply move on to the next job.

exactly, Im not sure why people think that pros are on a rolling contract - they are not and never have been - they are employed one series at a time and as you have quite rightly pointed out, more than once, no one gets sacked :)
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    BIB^^^ Nicole has more reason than James to be bitter, given that she was dropped from the Strictly lineup specifically for something that she didn't actually do. I agree that she can come across a bit as sour grapes and that can be somewhat off-putting, but I can understand why she might feel that way.

I remember reading the original article in the News Of The World, but I thought it appeared AFTER she wasn't given a new contract? I.e. the article had nothing to do with her being dropped.
  • katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »

It's been said before but he's not doing himself any favours - at the end of the day being part of strictly for the pros is good earner so I don't blame dancers like Ian who still want to be part of it in whatever capacity - they get to showcase their skills and knowledge. James made his choice not remain part of strictly but there's no need to have dig at those who do.
    Especially since he still benefits from the Strictly factor via Ola - presumably people will still want to go to their shows after seeing her on Strictly. If he didn't have that, he might not be so keen to dismiss the benefit he gets from being on mainstream TV on a regular basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    I remember reading the original article in the News Of The World, but I thought it appeared AFTER she wasn't given a new contract? I.e. the article had nothing to do with her being dropped.
    I thought it was the other way round, but I could very easily be remembering it wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're quite right, holld my hands up, wrong term. I should have said that other ex-pros dealth with the situation with alot more grace (or at least on the surface seemed to) than Nicole after not being asked back (as opposed to not being sacked). Of course I know like everyone it's a one time contract within that year, I don't know why I mis-termed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh absolutely, Nicole prob (or argubly) has more to be annoyed about than James and, don't get me wrong, I think the manner in which she was not asked back was pretty poor for a place of the BBC's stature. Numerous times over the years I've read about how bad DWTS (us version) is when it comes to Pro-turn over and I always thought the BBC was fractionally better in their conduct of this process, till of course now. While I can fully accept the BBC's decision to change Pros as, when and for whatever reason they feel like (as I guess you don't have a choice as a viewer eitherway), I do still have complete empathy with ex-pros in the manner in which they are not asked back. My point about her bitterness is that I just think Nicole has overlaboured it now. Again, I get the root of the biitterness, but there comes a point that taking digs at the show and some of the pros that have come after her just seems too long now (as recent as last year's show) in relation to when she was gone. I just think there has to be a time to let those types of comments go (for ones self more than anything). That is just my opinion, I get that people may still sympathetic to her situation and the newspapers issue (which of course I get), but there must come a time when you must move on and show yourself to be the bigger and better person. I know, much easier said that done, which is why is if you can do it, you really will look the much better person for it. That's why I have respect for Matthew Cutler, Ian Waite, Katya Virshilas, Jared Murillo, Hayely, you name it, they could have all ditched the dirt and vented no end, but they didin't. I have no problem with Nicole as a dancer (great on that score) and not as a person as such either, other than that I just think her bitterness is doing her a disservice because I always thought she seemed a thoroughly decent person when on Strictly and it's just a tad bit of a shame that she still, in part, is affected by that episode in her life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're quite right, holld my hands up, wrong term. I should have said that other ex-pros dealth with the situation with alot more grace (or at least on the surface seemed to) than Nicole after not being asked back (as opposed to not being sacked). Of course I know like everyone it's a one time contract within that year, I don't know why I mis-termed it.

Point taken ! It has to be remembered that, as with all workplaces, all sorts of things can happen behind closed doors that the public do not get to hear about but may prevent someone getting a contract renewed or whatever. There's more to being a strictly (or dwts) pro than just being a good dancer..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point taken ! It has to be remembered that, as with all workplaces, all sorts of things can happen behind closed doors that the public do not get to hear about but may prevent someone getting a contract renewed or whatever. There's more to being a strictly (or dwts) pro than just being a good dancer..........

We'll that's why the newspaper spills and twitter rants are interesting (depending on the content) when they come out as the BBC would never explain to us why certain Pros (I.e. Matthew Cutler) were not asked back but others (I.e. Anton who isn't good at Latin in some people's opinions) are. Absolutely, the Pros aren't just there purely just for their dancing, they're chosen for other additional agendas by the show i.e. as may have been the case with Jared Murillo, or bringing in dancers that are seen more as BTF or SYTYCD performers rather than pure Ballroom/ Latin dancers. Of course the BBC (as with any TV show) needs to reel viewers in and certain viewers need more than just a talent in front of them, but a looker, a larger than life personality, a controversial person and whatever else that will help keep audiences coming back for more. You only have to read this forum year on year to know that it's things unrelated to the dancing that will get talked about sometimes as much as the dancing itself and I'm sure all shows bank on this when structuring their cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll that's why the newspaper spills and twitter rants are interesting (depending on the content) when they come out as the BBC would never explain to us why certain Pros (I.e. Matthew Cutler) were not asked back but others (I.e. Anton who isn't good at Latin in some people's opinions) are. Absolutely, the Pros aren't just there purely just for their dancing, they're chosen for other additional agendas by the show i.e. as may have been the case with Jared Murillo, or bringing in dancers that are seen more as BTF or SYTYCD performers rather than pure Ballroom/ Latin dancers. Of course the BBC (as with any TV show) needs to reel viewers in and certain viewers need more than just a talent in front of them, but a looker, a larger than life personality, a controversial person and whatever else that will help keep audiences coming back for more. You only have to read this forum year on year to know that it's things unrelated to the dancing that will get talked about sometimes as much as the dancing itself and I'm sure all shows bank on this when structuring their cast.

BIB absolutely true. And as we all know Strictly is not primarily a dance show, it is just lightweight entertainment. As such it is not aimed at dancers or even those with any great interest in dance, it is aimed at the general non-dancing public, who like 'reality' tv. [Word reality in ' ' because its about as real as the moon being made of Swiss Cheese!!!] :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    He always wanted to win that glitter ball in the main show. Not going to get the chance now. Quite sad for him.
  • RetancourtRetancourt Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I like James and I think it's a shame that he won't be in Strictly this year, but I can understand that the BBC have to introduce new pros. The twitter stuff may have been a minor factor, but I'd be surprised if it were more than that. As far as I know the production team base their decision 90% on audience reaction to the dancers - they want to keep the dancers the audience turn on to watch - so I guess James just wasn't as popular as he's been previously.

My understanding is that that's why Aliona and Katya weren't renewed. Excellent dancers and good teachers, but the audience didn't warm to them. Sometimes the dancers decide not to renew, as in Artem deciding to stay in the States this year.

Sadly Anton is very popular and seems to have no desire to emigrate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retancourt wrote: »
    I like James and I think it's a shame that he won't be in Strictly this year, but I can understand that the BBC have to introduce new pros. The twitter stuff may have been a minor factor, but I'd be surprised if it were more than that. As far as I know the production team base their decision 90% on audience reaction to the dancers - they want to keep the dancers the audience turn on to watch - so I guess James just wasn't as popular as he's been previously.

My understanding is that that's why Aliona and Katya weren't renewed. Excellent dancers and good teachers, but the audience didn't warm to them. Sometimes the dancers decide not to renew, as in Artem deciding to stay in the States this year.

Sadly Anton is very popular and seems to have no desire to emigrate.

Interesting and confusing comments, as there was no other female dancer more popular than Lilia Kopylova, and they didn't invite her back.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to James providing a thought through account of his time on Strictly that looks at its strengths and limitations but I'm starting to find his constant sniping a bit irritating (although I can understand why he does it) because it never develops into a more meaningful critique.

Regardless of how it turned sour for him it did provide him with several years of gainful employment and gifted him a base from which he could further his career if he so wished.

Flavia and Vincent perfectly demonstrate how to capitalise on Strictly and move on.
  • PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh, has anyone seen James' latest tweet? Someone asked him how to become famous and get to take part on Strictly and he responded "Do your children play tennis?"

:o
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish James would just sell his story (via an unidentified ~source ofc) blaming everyone else and the bullies of the BTF mafia for him being so hard done by, and move on already. What teeny, tiny good feeling I had for him diminishes more by the day. It's pretty sad and pathetic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh, has anyone seen James' latest tweet? Someone asked him how to become famous and get to take part on Strictly and he responded "Do your children play tennis?"

ouch!

does that basically confirm Judy Murray then :confused::);-)
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB absolutely true. And as we all know Strictly is not primarily a dance show, it is just lightweight entertainment. As such it is not aimed at dancers or even those with any great interest in dance, it is aimed at the general non-dancing public, who like 'reality' tv. [Word reality in ' ' because its about as real as the moon being made of Swiss Cheese!!!] :D

I don't think all of the non-dancing public do like "reality TV" - or rather they may like the shows where you are trying to pick up elements of a skill or talent but not necessarily some of the game-show or docu-soap ones. (I like some but not all of each).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

James really is being a twit. If he had been replaced by a new pro (yes, I know he wasn't let go, rather he wasn't offered a new contract) because they were related to someone famous, a tweet like that might be relevant, but what does the celeb lineup matter to him?

The celeb lineup frequently includes people that aren't particularly well-known or justifiably regarded as celebs, especially if they have celeb connections. Nancy Dell'Olio, anyone? Jo Wood? Penny Lancaster? To repeat what I said in another thread, while I didn't object to Abbey Clancey being in the lineup last year, as a well-respected tennis coach and captain of the GB Fed Cup team, Judy Murray has a lot more going for her than merely being famous because of who she's related or connected to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James really is being a twit. If he had been replaced by a new pro (yes, I know he wasn't let go, rather he wasn't offered a new contract) because they were related to someone famous, a tweet like that might be relevant, but what does the celeb lineup matter to him?

The celeb lineup frequently includes people that aren't particularly well-known or justifiably regarded as celebs, especially if they have celeb connections. Nancy Dell'Olio, anyone? Jo Wood? Penny Lancaster? To repeat what I said in another thread, while I didn't object to Abbey Clancey being in the lineup last year, as a well-respected tennis coach and captain of the GB Fed Cup team, Judy Murray has a lot more going for her than merely being famous because of who she's related or connected to.

James is often a twit - gobbing off on twitter seems to be his favourite pass time atm - the celeb line up shouldnt matter to him at all but he appears to be very bitter about not being asked back for this series and cant seem to let the matter drop ;-) move on James, no amount of bitching is going to get you a place on Strictly so be a man and let it go!

Agree totally with what you are saying, more often than not there are "lesser known" celebs in the lineup - could the BBC even afford the more well know "A" list celebs? who knows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's regretting not being in a position to be asked back for this series now Robin is injured, as Aliona was last year. He could've been if he'd played his cards right, and had one more season.
    His tweet yesterday was almost nostalgic about how much he'd enjoyed every moment of his time on Strictly...

@The_JamesJordan · Aug 11
    I loved every second of being involved in Strictly.....It was amazing!
    I will miss lots of people including dancing with @The_OlaJordan

Before going back into snipey mode about BTF.

@The_JamesJordan · Aug 11
    People are saying to me they hope the show doesn't suffer now it's becoming 'Burn the Floor' 😬
    I can't comment, I will let you all decide

But he's turned over a new leaf and become uber nice and complimentary about what a great guy Pasha is, and the new PashOla partnership (I think they'll dance great together). :cool:

And he's even making jokes about being a "kept man" and going shopping whilst Ola's working! :D