Options

Best ISA accounts?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Got some money to lock away for a couple of years, I've seen Barclays fixed rate of 2.02%.

Any other good ones?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just opened a Nationwide Regular Saver ISA (2.59% tax-free variable), better rate than my Mum's two year fixed rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I just opened a Nationwide Regular Saver ISA (2.59% tax-free variable), better rate than my Mum's two year fixed rate.

Awesome! By variable, how often will the 2.59% go up or down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome! By variable, how often will the 2.59% go up or down?

Just opened it so I'm not sure, Interest rates aren't changing so I'm hoping it stays the same. Your money isn't locked in and there are no penalties for withdrawals so if the rate goes down you can switch to another better one and be no worse off. You can pay in £1250 a month but even if you had a lump sum it could all be in there in a few months and you get the better rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just opened it so I'm not sure, Interest rates aren't changing so I'm hoping it stays the same. Your money isn't locked in and there are no penalties for withdrawals so if the rate goes down you can switch to another better one and be no worse off. You can pay in £1250 a month but even if you had a lump sum it could all be in there in a few months and you get the better rate.

Alright thanks!

I've had a look at the fixed rate interest rates. If I put in a lump sum of money in the variable account then remove it to put it in a nationwide fixed ISA, that will be ok?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There aren't many paying a rate that is much above inflation and those are mostly all fixed terms, you may be better looking at share ISAs now the rules have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alright thanks!

I've had a look at the fixed rate interest rates. If I put in a lump sum of money in the variable account then remove it to put it in a nationwide fixed ISA, that will be ok?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/savings/regular-saver-isa/features-and-benefits

Here's all the details.

Not sure how well stocks and share ISA's do, think they charge a fee as well. Probably why the Government upped the value to £15,000. Most people probably don't want to risk their money.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    There aren't many paying a rate that is much above inflation and those are mostly all fixed terms, you may be better looking at share ISAs now the rules have changed.

Depends what your attitude to risk is. Personally I just want to earn a bit of interest and not risk the capital.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what your attitude to risk is. Personally I just want to earn a bit of interest and not risk the capital.

Yes shares are more of a risk. A bit of interest is all you'll get with cash ISAs until interest rates go up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Yes shares are more of a risk. A bit of interest is all you'll get with cash ISAs until interest rates go up.

I should get about £300 interest this year on mine which isn't bad. Considering my pension has hardly increased this year that's not bad going.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Be aware with a 12 month term regular saver account that you'll only earn the full rate on the 1st month's savings. Every month after that the rate will effectively decrease so the last month you put in will only earn one twelfth of the annual rate.

The best variable rate for instant access Cash ISA is today only 1.55%, and for no access 1 year fixed rate 1.71%. Also note some rates are bonus based, so after the end of the bonus term the rate will drop dramatically. Make sure you read the Terms and Conditions thoroughly.

Instant access variable rate: http://www.which.co.uk/money/savings-and-investments/reviews-ns/best-rate-cash-isas/instant-access-cash-isas/

No access 1 year fixed rate: http://www.which.co.uk/money/savings-and-investments/reviews-ns/best-rate-cash-isas/1-year-fixed-rate-cash-isas/

Comprehensive list of Cash ISAs including longer term: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1583864/Best-savings-rates-Isas-Cash-Isa-accounts-fixed-rate-Isas.html
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on how much money you have, consider current accounts instead for example I have a coupleof TSB accounts that pay 5% up to £2000. You need to pay in £500 a month but if you open two you can simply set up DD's to switch £500 backwards and forewards between the two. There are other accounts that pay 3 or 4%, have a look on the money saving expert website for the latest info.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Be aware with a 12 month term regular saver account that you'll only earn the full rate on the 1st month's savings. Every month after that the rate will effectively decrease so the last month you put in will only earn one twelfth of the annual rate.

The best variable rate for instant access Cash ISA is today only 1.55%, and for no access 1 year fixed rate 1.71%. Also note some rates are bonus based, so after the end of the bonus term the rate will drop dramatically. Make sure you read the Terms and Conditions thoroughly.

Instant access variable rate: http://www.which.co.uk/money/savings-and-investments/reviews-ns/best-rate-cash-isas/instant-access-cash-isas/

No access 1 year fixed rate: http://www.which.co.uk/money/savings-and-investments/reviews-ns/best-rate-cash-isas/1-year-fixed-rate-cash-isas/

Comprehensive list of Cash ISAs including longer term: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1583864/Best-savings-rates-Isas-Cash-Isa-accounts-fixed-rate-Isas.html

Spot on. I think those regular saver deals are misleading. Anyone with a lump sum would accrue more money by benefitting from full 12 months in an ISA that has a "lower" interest rate than the headline grabbing rate of the regular saver deal.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how well stocks and share ISA's do, think they charge a fee as well. Probably why the Government upped the value to £15,000. Most people probably don't want to risk their money.

I've got one of those which my Grandad had put money into and he left it to me when he passed away. Brings in a nice little bit of interest every 3 months, the amount varies but more recent has been around £90
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get 2.5% on my Coventry B.S. ISA but you have to be an existing member I think to get it.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I get 2.5% on my Coventry B.S. ISA but you have to be an existing member I think to get it.

I guess you are talking about the Coventry B.Soc ‘ ISA Reward’ account.

As cash ISA’s go, given the T’s&C’s, it is pretty much unbeatable at the moment I think.

It’s a 2.5% variable N-ISA, no notice/penalty for withdrawals, and allows ‘transfers in’ from other ‘providers’; however the Coventry ISA Reward is only available to existing Coventry customers who held a cash ISA with Coventry B.S. at the end of 4 February 2013.

My wife has just moved her entire ISA savings pot from Virgin Money into this Coventry ISA account.

How can Coventry B.S. pay 2.5% and yet Mr Branson at Virgin Money only pays 1.5% ?........how many Islands does he need?